Those new mini Vox Amp thingies

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 395
    I think the idea is that if you want 50 watts, you would use two of their cabs which gives you the correct impedance (4 Ohms). At 8 Ohms, which is a very common impedance for cabs, you get 25 watts which felt bloody loud to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    susbemol said:
    Having played the MV50 amps myself, I would say they are plenty loud enough to gig with. Maybe the people that say they aren't loud enough are just speculating without having given them a proper go. Either that or they are expecting to gig in massive rooms unmiced? 
    How did you rate the sound when you tried them?
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 395
    They sound and feel really good. I specially enjoyed the clean (which also starts to crunch up nicely when turned up a bit) and the AC30. I played all of them through one of the matching small black cabs, my own 1x12 with an EVM 12L and also with the speaker output into my reactive load then into the DAW with IRs.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296

I really like the sound of the standard AC30 one, and it is definitely 'Voxy'....which is great (I have no desire to lug a proper AC30 around unless I suddenly get an assistant) and it is very similar to how modern bass amps are going.

But, I only have a 16 ohm cab. I could potentially use one of my combos and disconnect the speaker, but I'd rather have a small 1x12 cab to go with it.

The ultra small Vox cabs look interesting.

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    I wonder if Marshall will ever follow Orange and Vox and release a hybrid type micro amp.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    dindude said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Sassafras said:
    HAL9000 said:
    I like the that by using the NuTube technology that Vox have managed to make a small lightweight 'valve' amp. My initial thought was that the lack of an FX loop and full EQ make this a novelty amp rather than a serious bit of kit. However, I've just read the review in Guitarist magazine and they reckon that its intrinsic tone is so well EQ'd that a simple tone control is sufficient. The seemed very impressed.

Guitarist magazine impressed by new gear? That can't be right, they're normally so critical of anything new on the market.

Yeah, I know and agree re Guitarist reviews. However, you can often read between the lines to get an idea of the weaker points. My impression (and it is only an impression) is that the reviewer was surprised by how good the amp was.
    Yeah I got the impression that they genuinely liked them, even by their own standards, they used the words potential game changer.

By contrast the review of the Helix LT in the same issue is shocking. Nothing there you couldn't lean from reading Line 6 blurb, it just listed the things that were different to the standard Helix. They made no opinions on the sounds at all, other than "usual great Helix sounds" - which ones, all of them? Surely some amp models hit the spot better than others in the reviewers opinion.

I would understand this if they commented on the sound in their original Helix review, but they barely did there either.