Pics!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777
    nothing too exciting, but it does everything I need it to, so I'm more than happy - APX700

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My BSG J27CF.  Camera phone doesn't do it any justice.

I had never heard of BSG but this played and sounded better than the Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons within my budget so I bought it and googled the brand later when I came home.  It is fantastic.  I've had it 5 years and haven't bought any other 6 string acoustic since.  In the same time I've been through lots of electric guitars and amps but this thing just feels and sounds like I want an acoustic to, so I have zero GAS to replace it.

All solid construction, spruce top jumbo, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, bone nut/bridge.  No idea what woods are used for the binding detail.  I'd prefer to not have the abalone around the soundhole but since there are no fret markers I can live with it.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited January 2014
    dont have any pics of the Fath Mercury......or my old Washy D28-s,  or mrs berts beaten up old £30 charity shop Ovation Celebrity
    but here's a couple of the "semi" custom made Brook Tamar
    imageimage
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow. 
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    ICBM said:
    The great thing about good acoustics is you tend not to chop and change them. I've owned my Martin D28 for 20 years (the longest I've owned a guitar for too). If you divide the cost by days owned it comes out at about at about 16p a day. Great value. The Ozark looks great. I must try to find a cheapish resonator-the only type of guitar I've never owned.
    I got mine by accident - a friend was selling a few guitars and asked me to take them through to the shop, but I liked this one so much I bought it. I don't use it for slide or blues, I play normal fingerstyle on it - it sounds great, and less like a biscuit tin with strings than you might imagine :). They do vary a lot though - I've played a couple of other identical ones (different names on the headstock, but clearly the same guitar from the same factory) which sounded quite different - brighter and tinnier, which is actually better if you want the traditional blues tone. From what I understand the tone is mainly in the resonator cone itself, and obviously the Chinese ones are a bit random!

@VimFuego - that Larrivée is very pretty. The chap I got the Ozark from has (I think) three of them, they're wonderful guitars and very underrated. Flawless build quality and extremely responsive - not quite 'my' sound though.

I must get myself another classical too, if I can find one with a neck smaller than half a tree...
    I may know of something of interest to you...;)

• The Swamp City Shakers
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
  • Gran and a Merrill Mando from 1870's http://www.mugwumps.com/aluminum.html

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited January 2014

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    bertie said:
    dont have any pics of the Fath Mercury......or my old Washy D28-s,  or mrs berts beaten up old £30 charity shop Ovation Celebrity
    but here's a couple of the "semi" custom made Brook Tamar
    imageimage
    Lovely. Brook's are amazing. I have 2, and another on order. It's a 10 month wait though..... :-w

Will try and post some pic's tomorrow
    Here they are. Definitely recommend anyone to have a go on some Brook's if you see them around. I sold of a couple of nice Martin's and a Bourgeois since getting these. Amazing guitars, and built in the UK which is always a bonus.

First is a little Creedy parlor guitar. A true small sized parlor, some of the ones you see nowadays labelled Parlor's are much bigger. Sitka Spruce with some nice figured Mahogany back and sides. Amazing finger picking guitar. The whole thing vibrates like mad, ridiculous sustain. 

And a Tamar with bearclaw Engelman Spruce, and Cherry back and sides. It is the most versatile acoustic I have ever owned. Picking, strumming, loves it all. Weighs approximately nothing.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Those Brooks look amazing! I've never seen them before. Checked out their website, very interesting - the small models especially.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited January 2014
    ICBM said:
    Those Brooks look amazing! I've never seen them before. Checked out their website, very interesting - the small models especially.
    after all Ive been saying for so long ?!?!?!?!?!   

The quality for £ is quite amazing,   and Simon is a very old mate of mine - he was my art teacher when I was 12 !!  He got me int fingerpicking really........ (hes TV Smith's - of the Adverts -  brother, and worked for Andy Manson for years)

They are an "bit" of an aquired taste,  the necks tend to have quite a flat-c profile, with a flat-ish fretboard  - suits my hands tho,  but they're very accommodating over custom spec - I had a few things done to mine, like scale length.

They're very "chimy"   very light and uber responsive    Im still ruing the day I didnt get a used cedar topped koa Lyn ( 000/parlor)  that was in Intersound,  I was going to say having two is greedy.........but...............

- @Cloudnine,   lovely  indeed.  What was it you said you've got on order ?
    edited January 2014
    @Bertie  I have ordered a short scale Teign, Sitka with Rosewood. In a sunburst finish, with a few custom tweaks. ;)

Looking for the same sort of finish, binding combination etc. as on this Torridge:
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    bertie said:
    after all Ive been saying for so long ?!?!?!?!?! 
    Yes - to be perfectly honest I hadn't been very interested because my experience with English-made guitars is not positive. I've never played a single one I've liked, no matter how well-made, and many of them look rather "furniture-like" to me. And you like Faiths, which I don't… so - no offence intended - I really hadn't paid much attention ;). You probably wouldn't take a recommendation of mine very seriously either :).

But these Brooks do actually look 'right' - the little ones especially (I have to say the double-cut one is an abomination and justifies all the bad things I've just said :D ).

But unfortunately...

bertie said:
    They are an "bit" of an aquired taste,  the necks tend to have quite a flat-c profile, with a flat-ish fretboard  - suits my hands tho,  but they're very accommodating over custom spec - I had a few things done to mine, like scale length.

They're very "chimy"   very light
    … that doesn't sound so good. I can't stand necks like that (custom options notwithstanding) and if 'chimy' means that thin bright modern sound I really don't like, then it may not be so promising after all.

They do look nice though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited January 2014
    ICBM said:

and if 'chimy' means that thin bright modern sound I really don't like, then it may not be so promising after all.
    oh god no, they're not bright, not like Taylors  etc  but "woody D28s" they definitely aint  - they are quite rich/complex  - chimy for me= almost piano like resonance, the trebble strings are bell like,  fantastic pickers.....and the smaller ones are their better models IMHO, Simon is a bit of a renown fingerpicker now,  - I guess thats why they have so many smaller models, and appeal to the 'pickers'  more than the heavy strumming Tak brigade. 

BUT - considering the style/tastes you have mentioned before, I really dont think they'd be your cup of tea.  

• CloudNine said:
    Here they are. Definitely recommend anyone to have a go on some Brook's if you see them around. I sold of a couple of nice Martin's and a Bourgeois since getting these. Amazing guitars, and built in the UK which is always a bonus.

First is a little Creedy parlor guitar. A true small sized parlor, some of the ones you see nowadays labelled Parlor's are much bigger. Sitka Spruce with some nice figured Mahogany back and sides. Amazing finger picking guitar. The whole thing vibrates like mad, ridiculous sustain. 

And a Tamar with bearclaw Engelman Spruce, and Cherry back and sides. It is the most versatile acoustic I have ever owned. Picking, strumming, loves it all. Weighs approximately nothing.

OH MY GAWD.  WOW