His Royal Wiggyness is back

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6209
Bugger... he can still play.. and I wanted to take the piss so much.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    He's great live, but have you heard the re-recording of I Surrender?  It sounds like Ritchie Blackmore and Ronnie Romero are playing over a cheap midi backing.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10758
    edited June 2017
    equalsql said:

It was an awesome concert - did you go, =s=?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 122
    Thought you ment Bradley Wiggins 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3432
    I thought it'd be Jeff Beck ;)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6209
    He's great live, but have you heard the re-recording of I Surrender?  It sounds like Ritchie Blackmore and Ronnie Romero are playing over a cheap midi backing.  

Oh dear... sounds like one of those backing tracks on YT... yawn.. Lift music anyone?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4617
    Brian May?
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6558
    I thought that was decidedly average, myself. Don't get it.

I thought that was decidedly average, myself. Don't get it.
    It sounded hugely better live - the sound was massive and everything roared. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

equalsql said:

Candice smiling at him at the end of the solo is sweet :)
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6558
    viz said:

equalsql said:

Candice smiling at him at the end of the solo is sweet :)
    Thinking about the new bathroom suite it's going to buy her, probably

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Each to his own an all that and I am sure if this record is important to you it may be possible to squeeze some joy from seeing it 'recreated' - but for me that is utterly terrible. There is a total absence of charisma and energy, Blackmore looks like a total t*t and I would guess the singer willing jumped over the line marked 'parody' twenty years ago. 

I thought rock music was supposed to be sexy, dangerous or exciting?

Three word review:

Without redeeming features. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    edited June 2017
    Looked like a thoroughly joyless performance (was he wearing a a rug too ?)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I think Ritchie is more interested in medieval music now and the Rainbow thing is probably just to make money so he can make more medieval music.  
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6209
    It's a bit of how I imagine Count Arthur Strong would look if he was an axe wielding pensioner sporting a rug.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Insipid. This is not the only footage I['ve seen but that was just as tired and emotionless as all the other ones. Never been a RB fan either so I was never going to be impressed, I'm not looking for flash or speed but that was just nothing - no love for the music - but how would we feel playing the same song for 40 yrs - think of it that way!

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Vaiai said:
    Insipid. This is not the only footage I['ve seen but that was just as tired and emotionless as all the other ones. Never been a RB fan either so I was never going to be impressed, I'm not looking for flash or speed but that was just nothing - no love for the music - but how would we feel playing the same song for 40 yrs - think of it that way!

He was bored in the 70s!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

Ritchie was asked to evaluate himself.

“This is gonna sound very cocky, but I think I can improvise better than any rock guitarist."

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    edited June 2017
    I think my friend must have been to a different gig to the rest of you... he put a video up on Bookface showing how attrocious 'Rainbow' were. Lots of missed cues, a keyboard player who didn't know the chops to famous songs so was 'winging it' (badly) and Richie's guitar sounding like a cat mewing, with the solos just not sounding 'right'. He described it as watching an under-rehearsed tribute band... the evidence:

EDIT: can't link the vid due to privacy settings. But I thought they sounded worse than when I saw DP with Joe Lyn Turner in London, and Richie was on such "form" that he walked off the stage and sulked. Lord had to play all of the guitar parts for the encore... Smoke on the Water.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 996
    Had a trawl of quite a few of the YT vids of these recent shows, and, well...

I am a fan of the man all round, but, err...

He has a really great tone for most of it.

And there are no bum notes - that I noticed. 

But those notes are all a little too far behind the band, almost out of time... and totally lacking in inspiration.

I've no real concern with the rest of the band  - they were always there as a vehicle for him even in his hayday and these are all pretty fine.  It's how slow and behind he is that makes them look a bit weird (and he can't remember "Highway Star"!)

Not sure how people can complain at the singer though, he's singing well and trying to work the crowd up (who doesn't love an OTT front man?).

Which is more than the near static man in black is doing.

I'll be at the Brum show, I hope someone finds an appropriate stimulant for him before he goes on!

Either way, 'The Sweet' are good and not afraid to poke fun at themmselves - just look at the wigs there!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Nah.

I know how influential he was but I've never really got the hype around him as a guitarist in his own right.

And fuck me, have you ever seen a less animated performance from any guitarist ever?

Compare that to this performance, which I have always loved ever since I first saw it. Worth it for the opening piano solo alone. I know it's Blackmore's riff, and all this is is a cover, at the end of the day, but that roaring tone and the cheer that goes up when he kicks into the riff - it's electrifying, especially compared to Blackmore looking like a bored old man while playing it, with evident reluctance. And while you might argue Morse's solo isn't as "tasteful" (if you're a boring old fart, anyway) you can't deny it's a lot more exciting than what Blackmore pulled out in that video.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."