Valvetronix VT40X vs Katana 50

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
edited June 2017 in Amps
I attended a workshop over the weekend where the instructor had a small Valvetronix (guessing it was the previous generation, not sure if 8 inch or 10 inch model) and I was very impressed by it. 

Obviously a professional musician worth their salt is going to get the best out of whatever gear, but I'm thinking again about having an all-in-one solution for light (no drummer) jamming duties rather than DRRI and 'board.

Realistically the amp models I'd be using are AC30, bassman, twin/65DR and JC120, and I gather both amps cover that range of those pretty well even if not specifically modelling the amps. 

I recently got an AC30 amplug 2 and am loving it so that may be swaying things!

Other than that, both have similar output, USB editing etc, maybe the Katana might handle slightly higher volumes due to the 12 inch speaker but I doubt the 10w wattage difference will be that noticeable, and I do have the DRRI for actual gigs (no more on the horizon at present)

Equally I have a Bass Cube 30 and microcube which have been trusty companions over the years.

I suspect it's just going to come down to sounds up close really. I'd imagine the VT40 edges it for Vox sounds?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    You'd think so..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I read (whatever that's worth) the Katana is, broadly speaking, voiced to emulate British sounds. So you may have trouble getting Bob-on fender tones. 

To be honest, the vox amps are great - I loved the original metal grill ones (I had a vt100, also a 50 watt 1x12 version). The even earlier blue cloth ones were also great (V60 and vt120). 

The later ones I was less impressed by. Not sure what changed but they didn't sound as good. They are all pretty pants at high gain. They're best at emulating vox tones, but the UK 70s model was great for raunchy Marshall crunch, and cleaned up alright too. The UK 80s was decent for randy rhoads style playing. 

Not owned a katana I'm afraid. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited June 2017

To be honest, the vox amps are great - I loved the original metal grill ones (I had a vt100, also a 50 watt 1x12 version). The even earlier blue cloth ones were also great (V60 and vt120).  
    The original Blues were the best (you were close with the model reference) - AD60VT, AD120VT, AD120VTH - and the 'pinacle' of the Blues combo's were the AD60VTX & AD120VTX that had closed-back birch ply cabs, Celestion 'Neodog' speakers (an 80w version of the Celestion G12 Neodymium Century Vintage) and an 8/16 Ohm impedance switch for an extension cab.  Designed from outset as gigging amps, the Blues had line-outs, extn cab outs, 4-position power-selector, a 32 patch fully programmable memory, 16 amp models, dedicated sections for reverb (3 types), delay (3 types), modulation (5 types) & pedal sections (11 effects), serial FX loop, and a VC12 floor controller could store 4 x 32 patches and control 2 'Blues' simultaneously.  Put an EQ and/or BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser in the FX loop and you have a real tone monster that responds at volume like a valve amp. The 12AX7 valves were effectively placed in the power section, and the Valve-reactor circuitry reacted with speaker impedance and had proper high voltage through them.  

They were expensive when new (the AD120VTX in 2004 was around £1100) and pretty heavy (the AD120VT/VTX comos were 58lbs), but no other Valvetronix version sounds & responds so closely to an all valve amp.  Unfortunately high production costs, changing EU/US requirements, and hikes in the cost of Neodymium meant  subsequent incarnations were 'dumb-downed' in almost every area - but most importantly the Valve-reactor circuit was dumb-downed such that only minimal voltage was put through the valves and the direct interaction with speaker impedance (a trait of valve amps) went by the wayside.   The AD15VT and AD30VT (the first chrome grilled variant) were designed as practice amps (which is why they were dumbed down so much). But they were so popular Vox made 50 and 100w versions - but they were always just louder versions of what was essentially a practice amp design.  The later Valvetronix still sound good, and the modelling is upgraded, & the latest versions have a few interesting buttons, but they simply don't have the features, versatility, programmability, live stage control, dynamics, feel, & responsiveness of the originals.  However, the latest versions are a lot smaller, lighter, & cheaper!   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    I read (whatever that's worth) the Katana is, broadly speaking, voiced to emulate British sounds. So you may have trouble getting Bob-on fender tones. 

The later ones I was less impressed by. Not sure what changed but they didn't sound as good. They are all pretty pants at high gain. They're best at emulating vox tones, but the UK 70s model was great for raunchy Marshall crunch, and cleaned up alright too. The UK 80s was decent for randy rhoads style playing. 

Not owned a katana I'm afraid. 
    The Katana's not really a modeller as such - sure it uses modelling technology under the hood but it doesn't aim to emulate a whole slew of amps, it just is what it is, like a "conventional" amp but with a handy selection of on-board effects and more flexible "presets".

If you're looking for crunchy old-school classic rock goodness (with a pretty strong, clear, pedal-friendly, and very usable clean channel) it's great, if you want a tool-box full of varied amp emulations look elsewhere...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Zombie thread - finally ordered a Katana 50!
    The V2 update in particular has made it more appealing in the meantime. If it turns out to be a halfway-decent sounding grab-n-go for light jamming duties then I’ll consider it job jobbed. 
    Not gone for a channel footswitch yet - if I end up doing more band-based stuff then I might well do.

• Yup, this’ll do nicely.