Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd actually say you're better off joining something like URM / Produce Like a Pro (which I think @spark240 is a member of?)

Just from my personal experience I tried piecing together knowledge from free info over many years and while the information is all there, without some kind of structure, consistency, or two way conversation with someone more knowledgeable to give direction, you end up knowing lots of tips and tricks and not necessarily when best to do what.  

Definitely get stuck in and do as much as you can, but there's definitely a lot of value from the structured learning places
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Neural DSP are doing 30% off both of their plugins with code BlackMetalFriday

There are demos of both plugs, I think they're both really good and the Darkglass one is very close to the hardware in sound.

https://neuraldsp.com/
    The Darkglass preamp plugin is definitely on my list, but Soundtoys keep sending me "Black Friday is coming" emails which is really tempting me to save for that!

I'd actually say you're better off joining something like URM / Produce Like a Pro (which I think @spark240 is a member of?)

Just from my personal experience I tried piecing together knowledge from free info over many years and while the information is all there, without some kind of structure, consistency, or two way conversation with someone more knowledgeable to give direction, you end up knowing lots of tips and tricks and not necessarily when best to do what.  

Definitely get stuck in and do as much as you can, but there's definitely a lot of value from the structured learning places
    TBH, that's what I'm after, first and foremost!

I also bought myself some singing and screaming lessons from Udemy! hahaha.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neural DSP are doing 30% off both of their plugins with code BlackMetalFriday

There are demos of both plugs, I think they're both really good and the Darkglass one is very close to the hardware in sound.

https://neuraldsp.com/
    The Darkglass preamp plugin is definitely on my list, but Soundtoys keep sending me "Black Friday is coming" emails which is really tempting me to save for that!

Soundtoys plugins are awesome.  They usually do good Black Friday deals too.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited November 2018
    octatonic said:
    IMHO UA do the best LA2a plugin. by quite a margin too.

LA2A is not my first choice for guitars though, if I use any obvious compression at all it would be from a Distressor, API2500 or an LA3A.
    My current favourite guitar bus treatment is a Crane Song STC8 (which is very transparent) into an A Designs Hammer.

Are you all familiar with Empirical Labs Arouser and/or Kush Novatron?
    IMHO these are the two best plugin compressors currently available in a non-DSP platform (ie not HDX or UA).
    Novatron in particular is a stunningly awesome sound.
    Hi @octatonic ;, I've been messing with LA-3A plugins today. Is there any reason you don't use LA-2A for guitars? Only reason I can see is that it's less transparent, correct? I'm still preferring LA-2A for guitars, must admit, especially the stuff I'm using it for (very clean).

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    LA3A emphasises the midrange in the way the LA2A doesn't, also it has faster attack and release times.
    I haven't said that I never use LA2A on guitars, just that it isn't usually my first choice.

LA3A is also more commonly used on drums & piano- anything with a quick attack.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Eventide deals...

Is Blackhole worth it if you have the Valhalla Verbs? Anyone?

I have the Valhalla reverbs and the Blackhole and use them all. The Blackhole is very different from the Valhalla reverbs and I often stack a Valhalla reverb with the Blackhole if 'm after more of a soundscape.

The Blackhole is a steal at the moment.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • octatonic said:
    LA3A emphasises the midrange in the way the LA2A doesn't, also it has faster attack and release times.
    I haven't said that I never use LA2A on guitars, just that it isn't usually my first choice.

LA3A is also more commonly used on drums & piano- anything with a quick attack.

Thanks, appreciate that.
    Fretwired said:
    Eventide deals...

Is Blackhole worth it if you have the Valhalla Verbs? Anyone?

I have the Valhalla reverbs and the Blackhole and use them all. The Blackhole is very different from the Valhalla reverbs and I often stack a Valhalla reverb with the Blackhole if 'm after more of a soundscape.

The Blackhole is a steal at the moment.
    It really is a steal. The demo is great and I'm using it a lot, I think it's an inevitable purchase in this sale. I've not tried stacking yet though, will give it a go.

• With Black Friday coming up, I've been searching Udemy for some good EQ'ing and mixing tutorials/courses, but they don't seem all that great...anyone got any good recommendations for video coruses on how to learn this stuff? Specificially want to learn about EQ'ing and mixing drums, electric guitar, vocal, bass, rock, metal and all that good stuff! Cheers
    CreativeLive is better for mixing courses...but personally I would grab a nail the mix / URM subscription
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • The URM Black Friday offers are live, but I recognise it's a big investment to go in for a year when you've never tried it before.

Regardless you can see a list of all the previous months on this page to see if they do the kinds of artists you're interested in.

https://offers.nailthemix.com/urm-black-friday-2018?fbclid=IwAR0b4BVfbzgLDBeQ2LN6tTpK7X5eMEJGL37P_40u-TPHkDWe88ZnKM4AImY
  • Re Eventide plugins - in finding it difficult to work out if any of the harmony plugins allow you to harmonise vocals either based on the chords you set (or via Cubase chords) or ideally shift your vocals to a set input midi melody?

I don't like just having set interval Harmony all the time. Cubase has an auto tune plug in that I think can be used maybe though would need multiple tracks and I'm not sure hire good it would be compared to a proper plug in like these.

Or of anybody knows of any, doesnt have to be eventide of course
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • The URM Black Friday offers are live, but I recognise it's a big investment to go in for a year when you've never tried it before.

Regardless you can see a list of all the previous months on this page to see if they do the kinds of artists you're interested in.

https://offers.nailthemix.com/urm-black-friday-2018?fbclid=IwAR0b4BVfbzgLDBeQ2LN6tTpK7X5eMEJGL37P_40u-TPHkDWe88ZnKM4AImY
    @guitarfishbay out of interest, what DAW do they use to teach from?
  • Multiple.

They have fast track courses for Pro Tools, Logic X, Cubase 9.5 just to show how to use the DAW.

All other courses and live streams are delivered in the DAW of the instructor. Typically that means Pro Tools, Cubase, or Logic.

It doesn’t really matter which DAW you have because they’re teaching concepts. For example I joined when I was using Studio One and none of the instructors were using that. It wasn’t a problem for achieving 99% of the same things.

Really the only noticeable difference comes in editing, some DAWs can do things others can’t. But any files you get in NTM mixes are already edited... the only ones that aren’t are the practice files for the fast tracks with the specific goal of editing them as per the instructions.
  • Liquidsonics have their Black Friday sale going. 

Seventh Heaven Pro is down to $179. 

As a Reverberate 2 owner, I grabbed Seventh Heaven with a slight discount. $44 for that is an absolute bargain :)

• Multiple.

They have fast track courses for Pro Tools, Logic X, Cubase 9.5 just to show how to use the DAW.

All other courses and live streams are delivered in the DAW of the instructor. Typically that means Pro Tools, Cubase, or Logic.

It doesn’t really matter which DAW you have because they’re teaching concepts. For example I joined when I was using Studio One and none of the instructors were using that. It wasn’t a problem for achieving 99% of the same things.

Really the only noticeable difference comes in editing, some DAWs can do things others can’t. But any files you get in NTM mixes are already edited... the only ones that aren’t are the practice files for the fast tracks with the specific goal of editing them as per the instructions.
    Very tempted to jump on enhanced this year
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Multiple.

Very tempted to jump on enhanced this year

$299 / 12 = $24.92

vs $19.99 a month for regular.

It's a no brainer IMO, especially knowing they're doing a Fast Track and a Mix rescue per guest next year.
  • A link to a similar thread on the Reaper forum. I'm tempted by some of the Soundtoys stuff.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213758

It's not a competition.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Ez drummer 2 now 83 eur grooves 9eur
  • Quite disappointed in Soundtoys deals, I've seen Echoboy cheaper. Nothing's got me twitching yet, except maybe Blackhole. Was hoping FabFilter EQ would go lower than it has, too.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited November 2018
    Quite disappointed in Soundtoys deals, I've seen Echoboy cheaper. Nothing's got me twitching yet, except maybe Blackhole. Was hoping FabFilter EQ would go lower than it has, too.

Are you trying to buy individual ST plugs or the bundle?  Do you own any ST plugs already?

If you already own some then go to the website and see what your bundle upgrade price is.

If you don't own any then go get an account at Audio Deluxe / Plugin Discounts and see what price it is there, either one of those or Plugin Boutique usually ends up cheaper than going direct for buying outright, but if you do own anything you'll usually get best price upgrading direct.
  • Thanks, @guitarfishbay, appreciate that, I'll have a look around on those sites. I don't own any atm.