Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Just had an emall from NI saying that Guitar Rig Pro is free with any Komplete Audio purchase. That's a neat freebie if you are in the market for a new interface
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    @Branshen I like their one knob stuff, all the ones I've used have been good. Sometimes we can over complicate these things. After all, the reverb on your guitar amp is one knob, and that works just fine......cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    Any plugins (free or cheap as) that would be of use for mixing live drums. I'm mixing our first band demo and the drums are in need of some punch. I've looked at the Smack Attack from Waves, that might do the job, but it's $50 so if there's anything similar, or something built into Logic that'd work, I'm happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Only been using Logic for a couple of months, so learning as I go, I may be missing something totally obvious...happy to be treated like an idiot in this case...be gentle :)
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Parallel compression - put the Compressor (Logic's built-in compression is excellent) on a bus, set send to 0db (option-click on the send knob), make sure auto-gain-make-up is off, then adjust the threshold so it's only attenuating a couple of dbs at peak - hardly at all - adjust the drums channel to adjust the volume (don't change the compressor bus slider from parity). 

That's almost certainly the wrong way to do it, but it gives the results I find most pleasing and "transparent".

Different compressor types give different results. I vaguely remember FET is best for drums, but try them all. Also, there's the distortion (not distortion the other thing - I'm at work and I've forgotten the proper terminology)  which is good on drums. Anyway, the knob over to the right, next to the output control. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    Oh, and turn the channel slider down and bring it back in - it will be much louder than you expect. 
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Get 30% off all software items in the Line 6 online shop including Helix Native, POD Farm, Amp Farm, Echo Farm, Model Packs, etc...

Use coupon code SPRING30 at checkout
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    revsorg said:
    Get 30% off all software items in the Line 6 online shop including Helix Native, POD Farm, Amp Farm, Echo Farm, Model Packs, etc...

Use coupon code SPRING30 at checkout
    I've been tempted by this offer in the past but my interfaces are problematic, I've a Line 6 Studio GX which is terribly slow, and my old trusty M Audio fast track (being ironic there) also doesn't like Windows. I think the interface on my gsp1101 is better but a huge 19" rack unit isn't great for portability haha
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Vintage-T said:
    Any plugins (free or cheap as) that would be of use for mixing live drums. I'm mixing our first band demo and the drums are in need of some punch. I've looked at the Smack Attack from Waves, that might do the job, but it's $50 so if there's anything similar, or something built into Logic that'd work, I'm happy to be pointed in the right direction.

Only been using Logic for a couple of months, so learning as I go, I may be missing something totally obvious...happy to be treated like an idiot in this case...be gentle :)
    Waves Rbass is good for adding beef to kicks, seems to be on $29 a lot and is in all the bundles, you can sample replace quite well for free with reaTrigger if you only have a single freq range to trigger. I also really like JST bus glue which can often be had fairly cheap if you look around.

I'm not a pro though, my strength is very much shit-polishing my own poorly engineered recordings :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Just got an email from plugin alliance saying all plugins are free for 30 days
    roberty said:
    Was just about to post that!

Everyone has a duty to check out the VH4...you owe it to yourself :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    roberty said:

Is that a subscription one or are the plugins free to keep? Seems too good to be true so I'd assume it's a month subs that is free?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • 1 month subs. Great opportunity to try the amps.

I take back everything I said about them!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    roberty said:

Is that a subscription one or are the plugins free to keep? Seems too good to be true so I'd assume it's a month subs that is free?
    Yeah one month sub... might try to do a mix with all the posh plugs. Don't know how my i5 will cope tho
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    roberty said:

It is very good and I bought it on release.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    edited March 2020
    Is there a link on plugin alliance's site about it? Can't find it.
    octatonic said:
    roberty said:

It is very good and I bought it on release.
    Yeah I got in at the intro price too. Annoyingly i had just bought STL Will Putney which also has a VH4 but the brainworx one is soooo much better.

I use the STL mostly for the 5150 now. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    susbemol said:
    Just download the plugin manager and you'll get a 30 day trial on everything. Any previous demos are renewed
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    roberty said:
    susbemol said:
    Just download the plugin manager and you'll get a 30 day trial on everything. Any previous demos are renewed
    Cool, thanks for that!