Mark Lanegan

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3017
edited June 2017 in Music

I’ve been listening to the Screaming Trees (Dust and Sweet Oblivion) for years. Also Mad Season on which he songs a couple of songs, and Songs for the Deaf, QOTSA. But have not followed his releases since that time.

After enjoying his Glasto set, I downloaded the new album Gargoyle, it’s excellent. Alain Johannes is involved which is always a good thing. He’s released a lot of solo and collaborative albums; any recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    I think Mark Lanegan is v good. The album before, Phantom Radio, is better than Gargoyle IMO. I think he is one very cool dude. Also excellent is the album Blues Funeral. You will like both of these if you like Gargoyle.

Yeah, he was good at Glasto wasn't he? Good band all round.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    All of them are worth getting, all the way back to the early 90s. I personally love Whiskey for the Holy Ghost but that's a marginal preference. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    edited June 2017

The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia is very good. Lanegan and Dulli were made for each other.

ETA: Also check out the live version of this from Later with Jools... Just about the last memorable thing I watched on the programme...

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    ewal said:

The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia is very good. Lanegan and Dulli were made for each other.

ETA: Also check out the live version of this from Later with Jools... Just about the last memorable thing I watched on the programme...

Great song, btw you edited the post which somehow loses the embedded video link
  • richcolrichcol Frets: 12
    +1 on The Gutter Twins.
    This album with Isobell Campbell is really good - Ballad of the Broken Seas
    Noticed that they've released more together since then.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    My absolute favourite is Bubblegum, tots of Josh Homme and PJ Harvey on there, GREAT album.
    Blues Funeral has some good stuff
    Isobel Campbel stuff is good from time to time, quite retro in a Nancy Sinatra way 
    Field Songs is more acoustic and fairly different from the newer stuff.

• Awesome, thanks all, a lot of good music to get through :)

Just have to post this, its from the Late Show No Nirvana programme, the first time I saw Screaming Trees. The show also had Janes Addiction, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pumpkins, Rage, Pearl Jam, Sugar and REM and was a massive influence on me, I watched my vhs recording many many times

Same here, I remember that vividly.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Bubblegum and Ballad of the Broken Seas are great. Love his work with QOTSA.

Last thing of his I bought was Phantom Radio. I found it really disappointing.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Awesome.
    Hoof said:
    Bubblegum and Ballad of the Broken Seas are great. Love his work with QOTSA.

Last thing of his I bought was Phantom Radio. I found it really disappointing.
    There was an edition of Phantom Radio that came with the No Bells on Sunday EP - which is better than the actual album,  I thought.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    I have that deluxe version, No Bells On Sunday is very good. I also like the remix album of Phantom Radio, thousand miles of midnight i think, can't remember the name!
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3017
    edited June 2017

Just bought a ticket to see him at Liverpool on 1 December

Tour dates

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Mark-Lanegan-tickets/artist/735485

• He and the band played a blinder at Liverpool last night. Magnificent. Glad to have heard his voice firsthand. He didn’t say much and had a bad limp but seemed to be enjoying himself and happy with the crowd reaction.

The guitarist Jeff Fielder was excellent, the SG through a Marshall stack sounded great be it creating eerie atmospherics, tight rhythms or occasionally letting rip- always in good taste and to serve the song. 

The highlights were an epic Bleeding Muddy Water and Emperor. The new songs work well live. 

Anyone else caught the band on this tour? 

• AllyAlly Frets: 64
    edited December 2017
    He's done heaps of great records. Prolific writer and tourer.

Whiskey for the holy ghost and Houston are my listening ones at the moment.

Seen him many times. Going to see him tomorrow actually in Aberdeen (again).
  • Must have been a great gig, their Glastonbury set this year was one of the best.
  • Must have been a great gig, their Glastonbury set this year was one of the best.
    Loved the TV Glasto set but seeing the band in a club was something else. Been listening to Blues Funeral; excellent album.
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    Last nights gig was good. Smallish venue. Guitarist was amazing!
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3017
    edited December 2017
    Really getting into his first album Winding Sheet. I think this was the missing piece of my seattle music collection; a record that would have influenced the other musicians in the city for sure, cobain’s involvement and Where did you sleep last night an obvious one, perhaps Sap/Jar of Flies?  And the music and guitars are by Dino Jr’s bass player in the 90’s. Love it. Giving Whiskey.. a spin next.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264
    Love his version of Roky Ericksons Burn The Flames.

Laugh, love, live, learn.