Mark Lanegan

What's Hot

Comments

• I recommend the new album by Mark Lanegan and Duke Garwood - With Animals. Not instant, took 2-3 listens to get into it. Lanegan sings over Garwood's songscapes, less songs but downbeat, sparce, trippy soundscapes, end of night stuff. Excellent album indeed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope it’s better than Black Pudding. Something about Garwood just doesn’t work for me...
  • I hope it’s better than Black Pudding. Something about Garwood just doesn’t work for me...

I saw him supporting Mark Lanegan last year, on his own with an electric, didn't really work well live. But I've been listening to Garwood's last album, Garden of Ashes, I think it's great, perhaps give it a go. Again, took a few listens to get into it.
  • Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is drawdroppingly perfection IMO, he has not bettered it although The Winding Sheet and Field Songs are great.. then before I would chose to listen to any other solo albums I would put on The Gutter Twins (Greg Dulli is genuinely my hero) and Isobel Campbell collaboration.

• Anybody got tickets for his next tour or tried his latest album?  The album is as far into 80s pop/Joy Division/New Order I've heard him go (one song even begins like an Erasure tune) but it's mostly excellent.  Off to see him in Edinburgh next month.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 843
    The drumming on Sweet Oblivion is amazing. What an album.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    edited November 2019
    @Brooom Love this but Solitaire is my favourite song from Imitations.

Presume a single from the latest album - and a truly excruciating video:

My band, Red For Dissent
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    edited November 2019
    @imalrightjack - Yep I like it as well, it's a great covers album. I bought the LP, also have a couple of other albums of his.

Also really like Mark & Duke Garwood. Also his contributions to Mad Season.

Also really like this live performance of One way street, from Field Songs:

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited November 2019
    I’ve yet to give the new album sufficient time, though initial thoughts is I prefer the direction Gargoyle was going. We’ll see. Saw him on his last tour in Liverpool, he and the band were phenomenal. Go see him if you can, I will miss this one, Manchester is a bit too far for me. 
  • Has he ever hooked up with Dylan Carlson at all? I think that might make an interesting collaboration.
     Definitely enjoyed his Gutter Twins work with Greg Dulli.
    If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollo said:
    The drumming on Sweet Oblivion is amazing. What an album.
    Was that Barrett Martin ? Tremendous drummer 
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    I like the new album. Fair to say I like most of his music, but this one is maybe a timely detour in direction. Looking forward to seeing him again in Edinburgh soon.
  • Ally said:
    I like the new album. Fair to say I like most of his music, but this one is maybe a timely detour in direction. Looking forward to seeing him again in Edinburgh soon.
    I’ll see you there, @Ally - I really like the album. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’ll see you there, @Ally - I really like the album. 
    Perfect. I'm looking forward to it. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    In The Fade is one of my favourite QOTSA songs. Such a great voice.
  • @Ally - so, what was that?  Was he on drugs or ill?  I thought the band were great, the sound a bit woolly, and Mark had not much of a clue as to what was going on.  He was very clearly at totally different parts of the song to the quite concerned looking band.

In a word, disappointed.  It's the only time on the tour I can see where the setlist was cut short, including last night in Manchester.  Oh, well, hope he's fit and well!

My band, Red For Dissent
    @Ally - so, what was that?  Was he on drugs or ill?  I thought the band were great, the sound a bit woolly, and Mark had not much of a clue as to what was going on.  He was very clearly at totally different parts of the song to the quite concerned looking band.

In a word, disappointed.  It's the only time on the tour I can see where the setlist was cut short, including last night in Manchester.  Oh, well, hope he's fit and well!

I never made it in the end. Seemingly he had some bad personal news that day.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Has he ever hooked up with Dylan Carlson at all? I think that might make an interesting collaboration.
     Definitely enjoyed his Gutter Twins work with Greg Dulli.
    Yep...the Earth album 'Primitive and Deadly' has vocals from Lanegan on a couple of tracks. Awesome album.

'Uncle Anesthesia' is my main Screaming Trees love...fantastic album from start to finish with Lanegan in top form.
  • Anyone read his new autobiography? I’ve reached the  Sweet Oblivion era. It’s a hell of a good read.