Modded Marshall SLP 1959 queries

robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 178
Definately one of the best looking amps ever imho. Dookie mod is clearly cool. Seeing one on ebay and They arent too expensive so im wondering if anyone has used one modded? Who mods them (well) in the UK, and can you get them sounding good at smaller gig volumes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    Look for a YJM signature - got the attenuator built in then.
  • Look for a YJM signature - got the attenuator built in then.

Last one i saw on ebay was £1100 i think. SLP around £600! Think the YJM is a bigger box? marshall major box is what they say in the blurb.
  • Still thinking about JMP too! Si's sounds awesome
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Just buy a Powerbrake. Discontinued now but go for around £150 second hand, and not too rare.

Worthwhile even with a MV model - they possibly even sound better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I bought a SL reissue head as a donor to have all the board removed for a metroamp ptp board, in fact by the time I decided to ditch the OT and PT trannys in favor of Merren trannys and various other bits I was over a grand (500 quid for the amp) and didn't include the labor. So I'd do your sums if you go the mod route. Dan Gower is your best contact for prices and mods that can be offered.

I did actually give the head a run as it stood before stripping it and wasn't impressed, the clean sound was good as you would expect, maybe a little too much treble, but cranking, even with a powerbrake, was so 'icepicky' it was painful, defo need adjustments internally from the stock values I'd say and maybe converting to an MV amp?

At the mo there's a dream amp for sale (imo) on ebay if you've got 1.5k (ouch). A metro 10series built by George himself (would get that confirmed though)...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metropoulos-1967-10000-series-Plexi-Superlead-Handwired-Marshall-Clone-Amplifier-/251446073590?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3a8b5a98f6
    George actually built a lot of the friedman be100's until friedman pulled the plug recently and decided to do them himself and from what I've read on the forums the quality isn't quite as good...umm.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    They certainly are pretty ice-picky, although some people seem to like that!

Oddly enough they claim to have prototyped them by auditioning half a dozen old ones, picking the best, and measuring all the component values. But they've never sounded like old ones to me...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• All good comments. Thanks
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Dan Gower makes some nice mods for plexi's and 800's (already been said I know)

• There is a YJM on eBay now starting at £900 still a lot more than your regular 1959.
  • Seen that. Thanks Ben