Art Theory

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Artist Statement

My work explores the relationship between consumerist fetishism and life as performance.

With influences as diverse as Derrida and L Ron Hubbard, new insights are created from both mundane and transcendant discourse.

Ever since I was a student I have been fascinated by the ephemeral nature of the universe. What starts out as triumph soon becomes corrupted into a hegemony of greed, leaving only a sense of failing and the dawn of a new understanding.

As intermittent phenomena become frozen through studious and academic practice, the viewer is left with an insight into the limits of our condition.

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29033
    Well, at least it didn't involve the phrase "inspired by nature".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Sounds like pretentious wank.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Sounds like pretentious wank.
    Yea but a wank none the less, so bonus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve922Steve922 Frets: 38
    I find particular value in such work if the insights are created from both mundane and transcendant discourse simultaneously. I find so often they arrive from just one such esoteric source at a time.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Artists are basically whacko nut jobs, yet despite this, they have an innate ability to make people proffer money for their output in the face of no discernible presence of quality.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17854
    tFB Trader
    I was once at a party with a chap who said when asked what he did for a living that he "divided his time equally between visual poetry and movement theatre" 

There was a bit of a pause and then someone said "So... you're a dancer?"

He got in a tremendous huff.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    You office boys with your office ways, you crack me up :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    edited June 2017
    Double post coming up .......
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    edited June 2017
    Art is the realisation of human emotion through creative or imaginative skill.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    I like it when musicians and artist use the term "organic process" makes me want to check em out.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I don't get modern art, to me it's just a pile of crap.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Either the singist has pleasant cleavages or GTFO!

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited June 2017
    I teach gcse art... A few months back, I went to an art teacher CPD night at the Baltic cafe where we had some hippy playing music at us and telling us to "draw what we hear". A new sheet of paper for every "song". 

Then, at the end of the evening she told us to take bits from each piece and make one bit of art that encapsulated the whole evening. Most of us played along but thought it was a bit pretentious, but this one knob end threw the contents of the salt packets and a couple of flapjacks on various tables around the room, and then explained that it was an "installation" of site into sound and the salt represented... Blah blah blah. I actually wanted to punch the tosser and then shove the salt down his japs eye. What a prick! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    Art -- yep, that's okay.  Sometimes more than okay.
    But art-speak?  It's as sterile as the "business-speak" on another thread.
    Cutting down the verb count and using a load of slightly obscure nouns doesn't confer any extra insight to banal ideas.
    Say it simply.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6577
    Art is the one with the bigger slaphead but more actual hair.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I like it when musicians and artist use the term "organic process" makes me want to check em out.
    The term "organic process" reminds me of something Maynard Keenan would say about the writing process for Tool's "music".  
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Nomad Zamani is an artist who mainly works with painting. With a subtle minimalistic approach, Zamani creates work through labour-intensive processes which can be seen explicitly as a personal exorcism ritual. They are inspired by a nineteenth-century tradition of works, in which an ideal of ‘Fulfilled Absence’ was seen as the pinnacle.

His practice provides a useful set of allegorical tools for manoeuvring with a pseudo-minimalist approach in the world of painting: these meticulously planned works resound and resonate with images culled from the fantastical realm of imagination. By exploring the concept of landscape in a nostalgic way, he creates work in which a fascination with the clarity of content and an uncompromising attitude towards conceptual and minimal art can be found. The work is aloof and systematic and a cool and neutral imagery is used.

His works establish a link between the landscape’s reality and that imagined by its conceiver. These works focus on concrete questions that determine our existence. By referencing romanticism, grand-guignolesque black humour and symbolism, he investigates the dynamics of landscape, including the manipulation of its effects and the limits of spectacle based on our assumptions of what landscape means to us. Rather than presenting a factual reality, an illusion is fabricated to conjure the realms of our imagination.

His works are often classified as part of the new romantic movement because of the desire for the local in the unfolding globalized world. However, this reference is not intentional, as this kind of art is part of the collective memory.

For example...

Of course.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    axisus said:
    Artists are basically whacko nut jobs, yet despite this, they have an innate ability to make people proffer money for their output in the face of no discernible presence of quality.
    A bit like graphic designers. They know they can't be truly creative so resort to fucking about moving Comic Sans around crisp packets until it represents a crisp packet.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    I don't know what @Drew_TNBD  and @Nomad  are smoking, but can I have some of it please.  B)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"