Neodymium speakers... what's hot, what's not?

camfcamf Frets: 1191
More expertise sought. I've recently acquired a very nice Gartone Stageman 45 which is based on a Super Reverb. I really like it but I'd like to reduce the weight so it's easier to take out and about. I have a Celestion Century Vintage rated qt 60 watts that I could get reconed and fixed if it was worth it. I'd previously been thinking about a Jensen Tornado or an Eminence Lil Texas but given I have an - albeit borked - Century Vintage, it makes sense to consider it first. 

Has anyone strong views on Neo speakers in blackface-style amps? Any thoughts specifically on the Century Vintage? It's one of the lightest, so if even it was just a temporary installation, it could make life a good bit easier by being kind to my ageing back. :)

Thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Sound of speakers is always personal but the Century Neo has attracted the comment of being a bit "thin" or bass light so if a really heavy, growl is your bag, maybe not for you. That said the Series One 45 combo used them for some time (no longer) and I never had any adverse comments about one nor did the amps sound very different from all the others about to me?

If that amp is "just about" 45watts then fine but if it can be pressed harder into the 60-70W region, a single Neo might be overstressed. Not proved as tough perhaps as other Celestion products.

Depends I suppose how much a re-cone will cost? The Neo is now a very expensive speaker so it might be worth getting it fixed and giving it a go.

Dave.

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I'm guessing that's the discontinued Century... they only make the Century Vintage now, which I believe was supposed to be based on the V30 but without the famous, or notorious mid-hump of the Vintage 30. I used the Century Vintage for a while before things went wrong but I don't remember it being thin... at worst it was a little anonymous, flat-sounding. It's lack of toughness might be to do with it having to be repaired... I've not read much about mechanical failures in these speakers before but I guess it's still early days in their widespread usage.

edited February 2014
    Thanks Dave,

I'd wondered about that but the kit alone costs more than the first quote I got. And the possibility of calamitous blunder is high when I'm even in the same room as a soldering iron.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    camf said:
    Thanks Dave,

I'd wondered about that but the kit alone costs more than the first quote I got. And the possibility of calamitous blunder is high when I'm even in the same room as a soldering iron.

Cooolio...Din't know you'd had a quote but at least it gives a ball park?

Dave.

Any neo speakers stand out as being particularly good in Fender blackface-style amps? 
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

I quite like the Jensen Neo 12".

Sounded good with all the amps I tried it with.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I used to have the Vintage Century's. As soon as I switched to proper V30's, I was a lot happier.
  • I was talking about this earlier with a friend actually, the Jensen Tornado 12 is the best Neo I've heard or tried. Ridonculously light and they sounded great with a silverface fender and dumble clone.
  • davedavedavedave Frets: 114
    I've been using one of the discontinued 80watters with a Matamp gt40 and a Minimat. It's a really loud speaker with a very fast attack. It works best with the Minimat for me. I don't find it thin sounding in the least. The whole cab weighs less than five kilos.
  • I have some celestial neos in a2x12 I can't remember the name right mow as a bit wobbled in pub I think century or heritage or something. Anyway I find them a bit more ice picky than v30s which they are based on but the savings in weight are more than than worth it for me. Where you based? If you're nearby you could always have a bash through my cab to see what you think
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Celestion. Shitting auto correct!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I've used a Vintage Century in an amp that's based on a Deluxe Reverb.  I liked it in there.  The lack of weight was lovely.
  • I have had an old century in a Deluxe and an old and a new one in a 2x12 Deville. We play rock covers in mixed venues and I find them both reliable as well as slightly louder and smoother than the Eminence speakers. Both sets have seen years of regular high volume gigging with no problems. They are slightly bigger though so check the fit! The old one was one of the very first available from Award Session when they were distributors.
    Thanks guys... my Century Vintage is off to be reconed today. :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited February 2014

I, too, considered them when I had a 2x12 Mesa but there were very mixed views on them. Here's some comments from people I had conversations with in 2011:-

Derek at Watford Valves said they didn't stock them as he found "they compromised the sound too much". However, he thinks the Celestion vintage Century is the only one that he found to be ok and commented on how much neodymium had doubled and that would be reflected in the speaker price.

Mick Taylor (ex-editor at Guitarist) said "From the tests I've done, the Celestion Century Vintage sounds very good off axis, but very harsh on axis. That said, it was a brand new speaker". So, looks like the Century Vintage comes up a lot, but it's not perfect.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Cool. That's interesting to know.