SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Guitarist Magazine. All 12 Issues from 1988.

What's Hot
AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
I'm looking for the 12 Issues of Guitarist from 1988.
It was a pretty significant year for me and my playing and back then, 'Guitarist' was like my Bible.

If anyone has all 12 issues and they've been kept in 'As New' condition, please let me know how much you'd like for them as I'd like to have them in a binder or some kind of magazine holder, on display in my room.
It'll be an amazing trip down memory lane to read through them again and I'd be dead proud to display them with some of the other music books I've got.

Thanks.
:)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    You're a sentimental old sausage ain't ya? I agree though, seeing all those adverts with florescent guitars and spandex would be fun.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Thats a lovely and intriguing request mate...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Thanks Mate,
    I'm really hoping someone can let me have their copies for a reasonable price.

dindude said:
    You're a sentimental old sausage ain't ya? I agree though, seeing all those adverts with florescent guitars and spandex would be fun.
      Yes, I suppose I am but I used to share all this with my Dad and those years when I was 15 / 16 and he was still in good enough health to enjoy it with me were the best years of my life.
    This is just one more way I can get some of that back.
    His health declined seriously when I was around 21 and he died when I was 29 so the whole............'Everything' !about the late 80's, Guitarist Magazine, Pointy guitars, Steve Vai, Guns N Roses.........God only knows what else...........it's all part of something I've spent my whole life not only glad I was part of but solidly identifying with.

I miss it, I won't lie and I try not to live in the past as it were, but I also love keeping a strong tie to the era I came to love in the years since and having the magazines I used to look forward to with such excitement every month will be such a treat.......all over again !

Thanks for your comments you two and thanks to anyone who can help me out with this.

I seem to remember Guitarist doing what Most magazines did in those days and selling 'Binders' for a years worth at a time.

If by some chance anyone has either the Magazines IN a binder or an empty binder and would like to sell it, please also let me know.

For the reasons I've put here, these will all be treasured and proudly displayed.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    A great post mate, and yes, I remember the binders too !
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Nice post. I'll keep my eyes open for them in charity shops and such...
    beed84 said:
    Nice post. I'll keep my eyes open for them in charity shops and such...
    Thank you very much.

To clarify, they aren't impossible to get. I've seen all but the SEPTEMBER issue on eBay and there's quite a few of them but I was hoping to line the pockets of a forum member with this and get all 12 issues, in the best condition I can for a reasonable price and maybe even a meet up to collect them and cup of coffee and a chat.

Thanks all the same though and if you do find them, yes please do let me know.

Thank you.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Alnico said:
    Thanks Mate,
    I'm really hoping someone can let me have their copies for a reasonable price.

dindude said:
      Yes, I suppose I am but I used to share all this with my Dad and those years when I was 15 / 16 and he was still in good enough health to enjoy it with me were the best years of my life.
    This is just one more way I can get some of that back.
    His health declined seriously when I was around 21 and he died when I was 29 so the whole............'Everything' !about the late 80's, Guitarist Magazine, Pointy guitars, Steve Vai, Guns N Roses.........God only knows what else...........it's all part of something I've spent my whole life not only glad I was part of but solidly identifying with.

I miss it, I won't lie and I try not to live in the past as it were, but I also love keeping a strong tie to the era I came to love in the years since and having the magazines I used to look forward to with such excitement every month will be such a treat.......all over again !

Thanks for your comments you two and thanks to anyone who can help me out with this.

I seem to remember Guitarist doing what Most magazines did in those days and selling 'Binders' for a years worth at a time.

If by some chance anyone has either the Magazines IN a binder or an empty binder and would like to sell it, please also let me know.

For the reasons I've put here, these will all be treasured and proudly displayed.

I would have been a similar age and it was def the time I lived and breathed guitar, and so used to look forward to the new issue landing in the local news agent.
    I managed to remember something else last night...

Christmas '88 was when I got my first 'Proper' guitar, a cherry red Gordon Smith GS II.

'Frets Old and New' in Liverpool was an institution for those who knew the place and the shop owner 'Dave' was a friend of John's at GS so he took custom orders.
    My Dad and I placed a deposit in the summer time and I worked my butt off throughout the whole year to contribute as much as I could towards the cost. £400 as I remember which in '88 was almost on par with a new Gibson Les Paul and definitely on par with the USA Strat of that era.

I got to custom order my guitar and spec every part of it and in doing so, I had 'Guitarist' magazine for ideas.
    I vividly remember seeing an advert for a certain well known double locking tremolo system in those pages and it would have been in one of the 1988 magazines.
    I ordered it and got it and,......well let's just say it was an experience!

I can only Imagine the look of horror on the mans face as he "Modified" the brand new guitar he'd just built to accept a KAHLER FLYER !!!

I'm looking forward to trying to find that advert again, even just for that memory.

It's things like that which make the '88 year of this magazine so special for me.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    edited July 2017
    Good luck matey. Not sure if you get guitarist any more (I don't) but they used to often have people in the classifieds selling bundles. It's actually quite sad how irrelevant Guitarist has become in my life. I vividly remember buying my first issue in 1992 and subsequent years - it sculpted my tastes and knowledge today. I wonder if a 13 year old today gets that same buzz from the current issues? I hope so. But I fear not too. The internet has changed so much of the populations habits!
    Parker said:
    Good luck matey. Not sure if you get guitarist any more (I don't) but they used to often have people in the classifieds selling bundles.
    Hey thanks man

I don't buy it anymore, it's not been relevant to my life or my playing for many years but I guess that's the point here in that 1988 was maybe the last time it WAS hugely relevant to me.

I can find them all individually on eBay but the prices are awful like that and however much I end up paying I would rather give that to one of our own here than 12 different sellers on eBay, all of whom have half a million magazines for sale and I have no idea of condition until it arrives.
    Our postman will ruin it putting it through our letterbox anyway.

Ideally, a forum Member will have them kept in as new condition in a box, I can meet them for a coffee, look through them, have a laugh and spend a reasonable amount of money making someone's day a bit happier and slightly better off.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited July 2017

I've been meaning to post about this for a few days now. We had the water main blow in our cellar the other night and I've not got to checking exactly which of these issues I have doubles of that I'd sell. I've at least one copy of most of them.

Just quickly: It's going to be really hard to find Guitarist mags from this particular year in "as new" condition. They were still stapled – not bound – at that time. There was a lot of paper to hold together, so they tend to drop apart, with the covers coming off first. If they have been read, they are invariably damaged. I've more than a few with rusty staples, too.

What did the official Guitarist binders look like at this time? I've quite a few of this vintage in brown binders with spine-holder rods, but they are unbranded. I got those from a chap in a previous iteration of this community, I forget whether it was intermusic or MusicRadar.

I totally understand the time-machine aspect of old mags. Whatever happens, I'll find the advert for that Kahler vibrato for you.

I'm off to the STBYP thread in SC to post about plumbers.  p

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    The official Guitarist binders of the era were dark green with a gold or silver foil logo, as I recall, and DLM's right, they had the "bike-spoke" holder rods to suit the staple binding. IIRC the first "perfect bound" (square spine) Guitarists were in 1991. 

Thanks guys. 
    I suppose you're right about the conation issue but I'll try to find the best I can.

@DLM .....it was the Kahler Flyer and in a hazy back corner of my memory it would be a half or maybe even a quarter page advert on either the bottom or in the bottom right corner of one of the right hand side pages.
    It was an advert from Kahler,  not a shop advert selling them.
    I guess it would be in one of the summer issues as I wouldn't have known about ordering the GS until well after easter that year.

Thanks guys.
    It means a lot that you went to the trouble of this for me.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited July 2017
    @Alnico

You will get your magazines.
    I will personally guarantee this statement.  

By all means check out the ones near to you to see if they are available.
    But.....I have the full set for 1988 right here. In a binder.
    It is not a "Guitarist" binder. It is a WH Smith magazine binder from the period.
    A 30 year old magazine cannot be as new. Unless it was sealed airtight on purchase then the white pages will now be a slightly different shade of white.
    But these magazines have the look of magazines that have not been read. It is impossible that there is a set out there in better condition.....IMHO.
    I can just manage to see one of the staples on the outside edge of January and it is not tarnished or rusty. I think that is a good sign. (The DLM post above was interesting!)

If you take these it will cost you nothing other than a few pounds for the Courier/Royal Mail. Weighs about 8.5 lbs. I am a long way from Bedford.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Skipped said:
    @Alnico

You will get your magazines.
    I will personally guarantee this statement.  

By all means check out the ones near to you to see if they are available.
    But.....I have the full set for 1988 right here. In a binder.
    It is not a "Guitarist" binder. It is a WH Smith magazine binder from the period.
    A 30 year old magazine cannot be as new. Unless it was sealed airtight on purchase then the white pages will now be a slightly different shade of white.
    But these magazines have the look of magazines that have not been read. It is impossible that there is a set out there in better condition.....IMHO.
    I can just manage to see one of the staples on the outside edge of January and it is not tarnished or rusty. I think that is a good sign. (The DLM post above was interesting!)

If you take these it will cost you nothing other than a few pounds for the Courier/Royal Mail. Weighs about 8.5 lbs. I am a long way from Bedford.
    WOW !

Yes, please !!
    I haven't found any anywhere yet.
    One forum member is selling decades worth but his are a job lot and your offer is so kind, I'll take that if it's ok with you, they sound Ideal.
    When I asked for "As New" condition, I guess I should have used different words, I just meant not mangled really, Yours sound perfect.

Also, the Binder was just an afterthought really, not a requirement. The one they're in will be fine I'm sure.

I'm really grateful, I'm lost for words actually.
    If you PM me your PayPal details I'll get you some money to cover postage.

WOW.
    Thank you so much!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406

Well done at Alnico, and kudos to @Skipped. I do like a happy ending  :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @beed84
    I'm very grateful to @Skipped for this.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Skipped Have a big fat wow, man! :) It turns out my full set of mags from this era are in WHSmith binders, too. But I've picked up s/h mags at basically every opportunity over the years, and lots have clearly been stored in suboptimal conditions, hence rust, etc.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I think a photo of you reading them like an over excited kid with a new Beano is warranted. NMD post coming up....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Parker said:
    I think a photo of you reading them like an over excited kid with a new Beano is warranted. NMD post coming up....
    In his pyjamas of course....!