Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    aord43 said:
    Mustang Sally is just Rhythm I think.
    And mainly a horns section!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'll have a chat with @Alnico and clarify rhythm/lead and how we will run the repeats, oh and a running order of course ;)

If we need to use a bit of contingency time then that's fine.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited August 2017
    That's great @TTony! ;;

My only question is probably better directed at @Alnico and @Bridgehouse, we didn't currently have an indicator of rhythm vs lead and on some songs that's a fairly chunky difference. On the songs I'm doing I'm more than happy with the rhythm tracks, and I'm looking at lead on a couple of the more straight forward ones but there ain't no way I'm learning the solos from Hard to Handle in the time available! I'm aware we're going for something approximating the original tracks on these so we either need someone good to do these bits or maybe accept an improv / simple version? 

Any thoughts? 
    That's what you've got me and people like @bigjon for (There may well be others). Remember the......"I'm not putting myself down for any one song so I can float and be either there or not there as and when people require"........thing?
    Hard to handle is a perfect example of that.

So there are two guitarists on stage and both don't want to play the lead.
    Fine, no problem, one of us will and we'll sit back in the mix until you need us.
    THAT was the whole floating thing in its essence HOWEVER if I or anyone else happy to do this is not needed, NO Problem. I'll sit and watch.

That ok?

To answer one of your questions directly, yes we can work out who plays lead and rhythm, no problem.
    I'll sort that out over the next week.
    TTony said:
    Alnico said:

@TTony [] and I think he's the one putting people into their various slots.

Not me chief, I just did the s/sheet so that everyone can see who's going what, and what's not being done by anyone!

Suggest though, @Alnico, @bridgehouse that you do try to put together a running order (so that we don't have the group discussion on "what shall we play next" everytime) and put together the line-up for each repeat of the popular songs.

Doing a quick add-up, it looks like a total of 30 songs (or repeats) to be played on the day, which is going to take a little organisation if we're going to get through that many in the time available.

And that number (ie 30) is still going to increase as we've still got quite a few attendees who've not signed up for anything, so ...
    @chrismusic
    @ennspek
    @flink_poyd
    @handsome_cris
    @pablo
    @roland
    @strumjoughlamps
    @spark240
    @thebluewolf
    @theotherdennis

... get your names down for something quickish.
    :)

Right now, Cynical and Midnight Hour and looking fairly unpopular, so might be next for the chop??
    I agree and in my way, all I really meant by "Putting people into their slots" was the fantastical spreadsheet you made.

Yes, we'll have a running order and some kind of itinerary for the day and yes I agree with your example. It won't be like that and in this next week, we'll start tightening things up a bit.

I think It's fair to say that although we said: "If a song is popular we don't mind playing it more than once....."
    Can we agree that 3 times is the limit so now please no one else Pick Learning to Fly?

It's just a case of being fair now. Us being fair to you and you being fair to everyone else.

Those who haven't got their name down for a song or don't want to, if that's how you want to play the day that's cool but just remember that if you suddenly feel like doing something and it's not going to fit in or work out, but by all means play it by ear if you want to.
    We all understand a lack of practice time!

No, Let's not drop 'Midnight Hour'.
     @hywelg makes a good point although so does @TTony in that it's not going to have a horns section.........we do however have the mighty @horse and his keyboard.

Pete........can it be done?
    If the answer is yes and that one hasn't been subscribed yet, I'll take that one. It's an old favourite. I *think* I can sing it too.
    If Pete can cover SOME of the gaps that no horns will leave in the sound, I can craft something to go with it and make it sound ok - goodish.
    TTony said:

Any thoughts? 
    As I was putting this together, I had the same "rhythm or lead" thought!

I'm "strictly rhythm" too, so I'll do a quick re-edit and put us both down for the R parts on our selected songs.

Everyone else, an indicator of whether your preference is Rhythm or Lead would be handy and pretty useful in sorting out the line-ups!!
    Thanks Tony,
    We'll use that to work out how many gaps need filling in.

Please everyone provide this info asap so we can sort this out for YOU.

Ta.
    TTony said:
    aord43 said:
    Mustang Sally is just Rhythm I think.
    And mainly a horns section!

There's a Possibility that @horse can help us with his magical keyboard and we can create a version that will work.

TBC
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    TTony said:

Right now, Cynical and Midnight Hour and looking fairly unpopular, so might be next for the chop??
    Just a reminder that I've offered to play / sing anything on any song. I did say I'd rather not sing and play bass at the same time, but I'll do both if that's required for us to be able to play the song, e.g. for Cynical.

Also, when I do Midnight Hour in the three-piece version of my band, I do the horn parts on guitar! :-)

@TTony @Alnico @digitalscream ;
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    bigjon said:
    TTony said:

Just a reminder that I've offered to play / sing anything on any song. I did say I'd rather not sing and play bass at the same time, but I'll do both if that's required for us to be able to play the song, e.g. for Cynical.

Also, when I do Midnight Hour in the three-piece version of my band, I do the horn parts on guitar! :-)

I'll be totally honest and say I don't mind dropping Cynical - it's probably the hardest song on the list, so I'm not surprised we've not been mobbed by people wanting to play it. I was also planning on only playing a couple of songs, and now that I'm doing Beat It as well as Cupid's Dead, we can probably ditch it. It'll make life easier in terms of time anyway.
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    Thanks @bigjon ;

I've put you down for your preferred 5.

If we put you down for everything, you'll not have the space to run all the workshops.  Perhaps if we check in the final week before the jam to see if we've got any other critical gaps in the bassing and guitaring and vocaling that we'd need to slot you into so that we can play the song sensibly, but only do that by exception so that we don't take you away from the workshop sessions?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    bigjon said:
    TTony said:

That's great Jon and thanks but also...........
    TTony said:
    Thanks @bigjon ;

I've put you down for your preferred 5.

If we put you down for everything, you'll not have the space to run all the workshops.  Perhaps if we check in the final week before the jam to see if we've got any other critical gaps in the bassing and guitaring and vocaling that we'd need to slot you into so that we can play the song sensibly, but only do that by exception so that we don't take you away from the workshop sessions?
    Tony makes a very good point about the workshops and keeping you away from them but we will balance it all on the day.
    bigjon said:
    TTony said:

I'll be totally honest and say I don't mind dropping Cynical - it's probably the hardest song on the list, so I'm not surprised we've not been mobbed by people wanting to play it. I was also planning on only playing a couple of songs, and now that I'm doing Beat It as well as Cupid's Dead, we can probably ditch it. It'll make life easier in terms of time anyway.
    Lee, I think that's probably a good idea. We're not going to have that many people who can play it anyway.
    Thanks for piping up on that one, it's removing weight we don't need to carry.

:)
    That's great @TTony! ;

My only question is probably better directed at @Alnico and @Bridgehouse, we didn't currently have an indicator of rhythm vs lead and on some songs that's a fairly chunky difference. On the songs I'm doing I'm more than happy with the rhythm tracks, and I'm looking at lead on a couple of the more straight forward ones but there ain't no way I'm learning the solos from Hard to Handle in the time available! I'm aware we're going for something approximating the original tracks on these so we either need someone good to do these bits or maybe accept an improv / simple version? 

Any thoughts? 
    Just realised how much I actually LOVE Hard to Handle and the Solos.
    If I'm not otherwise busy, which the idea is that I'm not,.......I would LOVE to be asked to play lead on that song.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can probably wail out the words whilst playing simple rhythm on that @Alnico ;... Might miss some of the flavour vocals bit the core of the song is doable

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    I requested hand to handle solos and rhythm and foxy lady a while back. Not sure why my name is down for singing or guitar on learning to fly!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    I requested hand to handle solos and rhythm and foxy lady a while back. Not sure why my name is down for singing or guitar on learning to fly!
    You did Mark and that's perfectly fine.
    I'd forgotten that but you are right and it's yours to do, I'm honestly cool about the whole thing.
    I'm not sure about LTF either but if you don't want to do that, That's perfectly fine also.
  • Alnico said:
    mrkb said:
    I'd forgotten that but you are right and it's yours to do, I'm honestly cool about the whole thing.
    I'm not sure about LTF either but if you don't want to do that, That's perfectly fine also.
    I think the vocals bit on ltf is probably meant for me as I'm the row above and it'snot showing on mine 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Alnico said:
    mrkb said:
    I think the vocals bit on ltf is probably meant for me as I'm the row above and it'snot showing on mine 
    There's been a lot of info to collate and @TTony has very kindly done all this for us.
    These are small alterations and easily sorted out.

Thanks for letting us know both of you.

If EVERYONE can look at what Tony has done with the spreadsheet and make sure you're down for the right songs, that would be very useful.

Over the next few weeks we will be pulling all this together and drawing up a running order and itinerary so getting the details ironed out now will be very useful for us.

Thanks everyone.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    @Alnico slacker here and having checked the spreadsheet everything looks ok.

're ability int - 
    Playing lead please and happy to drop out of midnight hour and mustang Sally if needed.
    Playing bass on a lot of tracks so if someone wants  some ask well see what we can do
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    slacker said:
    @Alnico slacker here and having checked the spreadsheet everything looks ok.

're ability int - 
    Playing lead please and happy to drop out of midnight hour and mustang Sally if needed.
    Playing bass on a lot of tracks so if someone wants  some ask well see what we can do
    I'd do more bass mate, but I suspect I'll be busy organising on the day so ought to stick to my five (some of which will be repeated)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Not a problem I'll enjoy doing it I just don't want to hog it. So if anyone wants to do some bass playing they are welcome. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    Cheers, It looks like there's enough for two Hand to Handle versions - not sure if someone has bagsy'd the other solo slot? Other wise I'd be happy for you to take the outro Solo - im not quite up to speed on that one yet.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1