So what do you think of this?

What's Hot

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited February 2014
    If he knows of the Bill M mods then is prob a legit seller but do ask to see a copy of the receipt for either the  work or components, unless you know by eye that they are all integrated in the circuit.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    edited February 2014
    It's got BillM's presence mod and you can see the octal mod as well. He would have had to have the transformer change to support that. Those mods are not cheap. The amp looks in good condition too so I reckon that's a fair price of you're in the mood for spec'd up BJr.  

I've done some of the mods on my own amp and they can be a little tricky cos the copper on the PCBs is almost none existent so you might want a 'guts' shot just to check that it's not a ham-fisted job.

[It just needs a coat of lacquer to finish it off B-) ]
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Thanks.
    Yeah has 6V6s. What would that do to the tone?
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    Check out Bill's comments on his website:

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=370
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    It's probably a very good price if you've already decided that you want a Blues Junior with those mods.

On other hand, the seller has probably spent getting on for a grand altogether and has finally given up -  the damn thing STILL sounds like a Blues Jr, so he's getting shot of it before he throws himself under a bus.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    lol

I agree. I can't help thinking the same about this as any of these really extensive mods… if you need to do that much to it, it was probably the wrong amp to start with, and most likely still will be.

That said, it is possible it could be great, and like p90fool said, if you know you want all that stuff then it's a very good price compared to buying another unmodded one (which wouldn't cost that much less) and doing all that to it. The pine cabinet alone is probably worth the price difference… whether it affects the tone enough to justify it I'm not sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    so much wisdom in the last two posts
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2014
    On paper it should sound amazing after all those mods. Seems a bit strange that someone would put so much into it. 
    Loobs said:
    On paper it should sound amazing after all those mods. 
    Except that fundamentally, the sound of an amp is more determined by the cicuit than by any one component, or even several components… and the circuit (the whole main PCB, in fact) is still 100% Blues Junior.

Loobs said:
    Seems a bit strange that someone would put so much into it. 
    Yes, when for the same sort of money you could probably buy a pretty decent Tweed Deluxe copy. (I know they're not exactly the same thing.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2014
    ICBM said:
    Loobs said:
    On paper it should sound amazing after all those mods. 
    Except that fundamentally, the sound of an amp is more determined by the cicuit than by any one component, or even several components… and the circuit (the whole main PCB, in fact) is still 100% Blues Junior.
    you simply cannot buy wisdom like this
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    I like the Blues Junior.

But there's no escaping that the best thing to do with it is plugging it into a much bigger cabinet.
    I like the Blues Junior.

But there's no escaping that the best thing to do with it is plugging it into a much bigger cabinet.
    Like this one?

Sorry, too hard to resist :).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    =))
  • I had one with all the mods, fully documented, and Weber speaker. Sold for about £20 more than a normal one. The majority dont care for mods.
  • I had a much-modded one too, and it was brilliant for gigging. I paid about halfway between normal used and new price though, which made it great value. I definitely wouldn't mod one myself though- for the cost of getting a breathed on BJ when you could've just gone and got a PRRI or DRRI with the same cash.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires