Anyone had a PPI refund?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
Just clearing out some crap and I came across some old loan documents.  I would have sworn I've never taken out PPI but apparently I had.  I've only got the one bit of paper, but it's entirely possible there may be more that I took out PPI on.  The one I have charged £895 for the PPI dating back to '98.
Who knows what else I might have - now forgotten about and without any paperwork?

So - if you claimed, did you do it all yourself, was it a pain or did you employ one of these dodgy companies that cold-call you and advertise on late-night tv, and if so, what did they charge?

Ta muchly!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Don't go through a 3rd party unless you want to pay 40% for them writing a generic cover letter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    A few people I know have had refunds, so if you've got any paperwork, off you go!

• bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    I did and I went though a company.  Reason being I hadn't had a credit card in a long, long time and had long since binned or lost all paperwork.  

I'd tried to do it myself but the wasn't getting anywhere.  Using the company was a last ditch thing really..  They got the refund and took 20% (I think).    
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Emp_Fab said:
    So - if you claimed, did you do it all yourself, was it a pain or did you employ one of these dodgy companies that cold-call you and advertise on late-night tv, and if so, what did they charge?
    I used a company recommended to me by a fella I work with.
    Basically, I know I could have done it all myself but in 5 years I'd done feck all so I was happy to use a recommended company.
    The company was completely kosher.  I got my PPI.  They charged 25% (+VAT) for their efforts.  But that's the point:  it was their efforts, not mine.  My effort was minimal. 
    And I got my PPI back!

@Emp_Fab ; PM me if you want to do the same.  I won't give it out publicly cos their schtick is that it's all personal recommendations and, disclosure: for my recommendation I get a £20 amazon voucher.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I thought only people who watch daytime TV in their dressing gowns got PPI refunds
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    If you get a quid back, it's a quid you didn't have before.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited July 2017
    Just follow this guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

I cannot understand these people using third party companies. When I claimed mine, it took one letter (based on the template from money saving expert.com) , and that was it. A four figure cheque came back in the post. Just make sure you word your letter so that it convinces them you were mis-sold when you took out the loan. They made you sign for it, without explaining what it was.

Im not sure if 98 will qualify, isnt there a time limit? Last 10 years or so?

I'm pretty sure they have a legal obligation to pay it you back, that's the whole reason it kicked off a few years ago, the banks lost the court case. No lawyers should be required. It was only before the court case that it was very difficult to reclaim it.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    mellowsun said:
    I thought only people who watch daytime TV in their dressing gowns got PPI refunds
    No, that's the ones selling the family gold, isn't it?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    edited July 2017
    I started a claim a year ago, the bank in question (HSBC) asked me to go into a branch with ID etc. I haven't bothered yet.
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    I have, mine was through Lloyds ended up getting about 7k back in all! 

Just recently I used a ppi website because I had a old egg card and loan but didn't know any details they've sorted it all out for me and I'm now waiting to hear back how much egg owe me! The company I used only take 10% and all I did was fill in a questionnaire and sign a bit of paper.

if you're going to do it do it soon as there's going to be a deadline coming up for any new claims.

good luck. 
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    I waited until the banks stopped deliberately hindering the process, and then I did it myself. Basically don't give them any info that their lawyers can call into question, so be precise and to the point. I found some of the forums useful, I think the Money Saving Expert was one of them.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited July 2017

I've had several PPI refunds and went through Gladstone Brookes for all of them. They do take a big wedge of the final settlement fee, but I really didn't have the time or the motivation to deal with it myself. Mainly because I actually activated the PPI on 2 of my loans as I was off work sick for about 6 months, so the PPI covered my loan payments. As a result I was convinced I wouldn't get anything anyway so anything I did get was a bonus. 

Low in behold they got me the full wack back plus compensation.

They also turned me onto another company who deal with current account fees. Those accounts where the bank charges you a monthly fee for extra perks like Mobile Phone insurance, AA Roadside cover etc. Turns out I'd had one of those accounts for about 7 years and wrongly been sold it (I don't drive and never activated the mobile phone insurance), so I got all the charges back plus compensation as well.

So you got refunds on policies that you actually used and benefited from?
    Well here's the thing, I wasn't entirely sure as we are talking over 10 years ago. But I do remember being on long term sick around that time.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189

I've had several PPI refunds and went through Gladstone Brookes for all of them. They do take a big wedge of the final settlement fee, but I really didn't have the time or the motivation to deal with it myself. Mainly because I actually activated the PPI on 2 of my loans as I was off work sick for about 6 months, so the PPI covered my loan payments. As a result I was convinced I wouldn't get anything anyway so anything I did get was a bonus. 

Low in behold they got me the full wack back plus compensation.

They also turned me onto another company who deal with current account fees. Those accounts where the bank charges you a monthly fee for extra perks like Mobile Phone insurance, AA Roadside cover etc. Turns out I'd had one of those accounts for about 7 years and wrongly been sold it (I don't drive and never activated the mobile phone insurance), so I got all the charges back plus compensation as well.

So you got refunds on policies that you actually used and benefited from?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    I'll give it a bash meself I think.  Bugger paying 20%+. That would be over £200 just on the one I know about.

Time to do some research I think.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    not had a loan but several 0% transfer cards a few years back and wondered if any of them had it on, although I only got caught out on a end of deal transfer rate once..??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 93
    I have, mine was through Lloyds ended up getting about 7k back in all! 

Just recently I used a ppi website because I had a old egg card and loan but didn't know any details they've sorted it all out for me and I'm now waiting to hear back how much egg owe me! The company I used only take 10% and all I did was fill in a questionnaire and sign a bit of paper.

if you're going to do it do it soon as there's going to be a deadline coming up for any new claims.

good luck. 
    hi mate what was the website sorry cant be bothered to try myself!
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    DefaultM said:
    Don't go through a 3rd party unless you want to pay 40% for them writing a generic cover letter.

This.

Do it yourself, the 3rd parties will ask you the same questions that are on the paperwork anyway. I got £6500 back!

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    I'm not one for big loans, but I remember in the late 90s borrowing £3k to buy a car. I set myself a limit so that the monthly payments would be less than £100, but PPI was pushed, which would have taken it to about £120-125. The suit asked me "but what would do if you were made redundant?" and I replied "sell the car, I only need it to get to work". So, no big refunds for me.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27431
    mellowsun said:
    Looking good for @Emp_Fab  then ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom