Anyone had a PPI refund?

What's Hot

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1270
    Claimed back loan insurance and bank account fees. Couple grand in total and easy peasy to sort out all paperwork - do it yourself, it's worth saving couple hundred in fees.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    I did it myself got some repayment. All easy enough but I seem to remember that if you ask the various companies they will 'put you on hold while they check' approach and then tell you they did not charge PPI. Not convinced but I didn't have the original paperwork. Banks played ball others like finance companies I don't think did.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    edited July 2017
    I've a had a couple. MBNA were really easy, one phone call to the bank and  a few weeks later I had a cheque for £600 odd quid. Barclays were a nightmare and fought it all the way and held things up as long as possible.. It took about 2 years and a senior ombudsman ruling to finally get about half of what I was owed. They paid me just over £2000 but they really owed me at least twice that.

Lloyds are apparently a set of bastards too.

I did these all myself. It's no more complicated than doing it through a claims company.
  • Anyone else done it themselves ?
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Anyone else done it themselves ?
    Yep I contacted Lloyds in 2012 asked to claim back PPI on all my loans I’d ever had with them and the Lloyds credit card I had at the time and then forgot about it went away on holiday and when I returned they had paid me back £20k ! 
    I honestly almost fell over in the bank when I checked my account! 

This is year I saw a ppi ad on telly that reminded me I used to have A MBNA card , went through Stanton Fisher and got paid £3k and had to pay them £1k of that .
    still I’m happy with that as they did all of the work and it was a speculative enquiry. 
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I've done it myself with Barclays and Barclaycard. Got around £2k in total. Got a further £3.5k refunded from Barclays for a "packaged" bank account that I'd held for years
  • I did it via Resolver, which is the free service linked from moneysavingexpert.com. No hassles, both banks sent me letters saying this is what they thought the totals owed were, and I accepted (I had no idea how much PPI have paid). Got cheques.

It felt weird claiming against banks with whom I still currently do business, but hey! Fuck 'em, they would do the same to me.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1232
    As @Bygone_Tones said, check the MSE website.
    I done it all myself a good few years ago and reclaimed PPI on an Egg loan. Only took me an hour or so, and got a cheque back for just under a thousand pound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    anyone got a refund for just credit card usage?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Mine was for PPI on credit cards, yes.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12350
    My sister in law used Gladstone Brooks to claim her PPI. She got £3.59 back.  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Anyone else done it themselves ?
    Yeah, and didn't get a penny back, as it turned out I never had PPI on any credit card I'd had over the last 20 years. Worth a punt I suppose.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7827
    Brother in law got £10k. He used his card a lot!!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Did it myself with Lloyds.  They rejected my claim, twice, so I went to the Ombudsman.  Nothing happened for 18 months, although I kept checking the website.

It turned out that the Ombudsman's office lumped my claim in with several thousand others as a sort of "class action".

Eventually Lloyds capitulated.  I got back the price of the policy plus interest, plus "punitive" interest, just shy of 5 figures.

It can be a long game!

• I've spent ages digging out old files.....and rather disappointingly it looks like I'd always decline to take out any PPI. I've had credit cards, a car loan and all that but no sign that I ever had any.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I got a refund. Did it myself £3.5k..... thank you very much!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Yes. Did it myself. 

Turns out my bank loans (which I had been having since I left uni to use for cars) all had PPI on them.

I bank with First Direct. Like everything they do they were exceptional. Someone rang me to acknowledge the claim, and even rang me occasionally to progress.

Turns out the "claimed" amount was about £3k. However, cos they dated it back to 1996 or so the interest and punitive interest was huuuuge and they ended up paying out about £18k.

I was, quite frankly, staggered. It also bought the next car outright. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    57Deluxe said:

What’s the crack with this - just having the credit card, or because you had big debt on it and they charged you PPI on that ?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    sev112 said:
    57Deluxe said:

What’s the crack with this - just having the credit card, or because you had big debt on it and they charged you PPI on that ?

Because they sold you payment protection insurance on cards/loans.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    sev112 said:
    57Deluxe said:

a lot of credit cards at the time charged you for PPI each month whilst not making it clear that this was a separate insurance product and also that it wasn't  mandatory .

If it was applied to a card that you held without being fully explained then you may have a case to a claim .