Do you need a holiday?

What's Hot
In my mind holidays are an escape from the humdum of ordinary life. So if your actuallly enjoying your life do you need a "Holiday" ?
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    I was thinking this the other day, why plug at a high paying job you don't enjoy just to afford your 2 weeks a year of relaxation when you could just enjoy the whole year even if you don't earn as much :) That's why I've decided to make a go of trying to earn a living as a musician rather than go the conventional route. Of course, you could be one of the lucky c*nts that get both
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I don't think enjoying your job means you don't want a holiday. It just means you use it to do something interesting rather than as a destressing exercise. 
    Oh yeah I get that, I would still go on holidays if I could because I like to visit places and do interesting things, I meant a holiday in the sense that some people see it, as a way of getting away from a stressful life for a week or 2
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I think the vegetate on the beach for two weeks concept loses it's appeal. 
    It never had any for me. I like to see and do things on holiday, I get bored after more than a day on the beach
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Yes I need one. We got back from ours 20 mins ago and I'm knackered.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I am happy enough taking a week off and pottering around my house.

Having said that, I'm off for a 3 week jaunt round The Philippines in 9 weeks and I can't feckin wait. This year's been a bit crap and I need some excitement, so I'm going island hopping and volcano bagging!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I love what I do but to actually get away for a week or two and unwind lets you come back fresh and with a clearer or different perspective

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

As has been said, a holiday is a change from daily life as much as a rest.

I also couldn't sit on a beach for 2 weeks without going a bit mental..........

A week in Cornwall in a few weeks is coming up.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Yes.

A permanent one.

• A few years ago while on holiday in Hawaii, I tried the whole lying on a beach thing and lasted about ten minutes before I got bored. i cant just lie there so I left the missus to her sunbathing while I wandered off. 
    Ended up hiring a bodyboard, paddling further and further out to sea to try and "catch a wave".
    I didn't catch any but I did catch my foot on some coral, I thought I'd just scratched it so continued with my quest to be all bodacious and gnarly etc until I noticed my foot felt "flappier" than usual...
    I stuck my foot out of the water to see a gaping hole below my little toe, pi$$ing with blood. I was pretty far from the shore by now and it took an age to swim back against the currents. I did get pretty worried at one point although the thought of sharks never once entered my head!
    By the time I got back to the wife she was going mental, I'd been gone nearly two hours. 

Im not allowed near a beach without proper supervision now. 
    :\">
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28167

I love what I do but to actually get away for a week or two and unwind lets you come back fresh and with a clearer or different perspective
    Likewise.

I also have some of my best revelations about work once I stop thinking about it.

Mostly I have a week off at a time, and split that between making stuff in the workshop, napping and going on day trips. Basically practising for retirement. It looks like I'll be pretty good at it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm taking three weeks off this time around. One week's winding down and getting over the journey, one week's holiday, and the last week fretting about going back to work.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use to think 'Why go on holiday for a week or two when I can spend the cash on a new guitar for a lifetime'.  Then I had kids and realised you need a holiday.

As a few have said before, even if you enjoy what you do a break gives you a fresh perspective.  If you work for yourself (which I do) it becomes near impossible to take a week off when your are still physically available.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    A few years ago while on holiday in Hawaii, I tried the whole lying on a beach thing and lasted about ten minutes before I got bored. i cant just lie there so I left the missus to her sunbathing while I wandered off. 
    Ended up hiring a bodyboard, paddling further and further out to sea to try and "catch a wave".
    I didn't catch any but I did catch my foot on some coral, I thought I'd just scratched it so continued with my quest to be all bodacious and gnarly etc until I noticed my foot felt "flappier" than usual...
    I stuck my foot out of the water to see a gaping hole below my little toe, pi$$ing with blood. I was pretty far from the shore by now and it took an age to swim back against the currents. I did get pretty worried at one point although the thought of sharks never once entered my head!
    By the time I got back to the wife she was going mental, I'd been gone nearly two hours. 

Im not allowed near a beach without proper supervision now. 
    :\">

fortunately you weren't in an area of the world that has a lot of man eating sharks that are drawn to people on body boards that are leaving a trail of blood in the water...

re holidays, we work for ourselves and we live in one of the major tourism areas of the country, but even we feel the need for a holiday. It's not the time off per se, just the chance to see some different scenery.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
    edited August 2013

I use to think 'Why go on holiday for a week or two when I can spend the cash on a new guitar for a lifetime'.  Then I had kids and realised you need a holiday.

As a few have said before, even if you enjoy what you do a break gives you a fresh perspective.  If you work for yourself (which I do) it becomes near impossible to take a week off when your are still physically available.

I used to work for myself and it drove my wife nuts that I never took time off. Now that I work for a company I get 27 days a year and don't know what to do with it all!
    Where do people that live in holiday resorts go for a holiday?

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6489
    edited August 2013
    I don't arrive at work with a spring in my step every morning, but by and large I enjoy working here, but I definitely need a holiday, for sure.

Playing at weddings pretty much every weekend means that most weekends include a Very Late Night (e.g. I got to bed at 4am this Sunday. Ouch!)  which, with a 9-5 job and a 19 month old daughter, it takes me a lot longer to get over than it did when I used to go out dancing at our local indie disco into the early hours in the days when I could sleep it off until mid-afternoon of a Sunday.
    Not that I am complaining - I'm very lucky to be in a band that gigs as regularly as we do and to also have a solid job to rely on, but wowzer I just need a couple of weeks of not needing to be somewhere at a certain time.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26578
    I think the vegetate on the beach for two weeks concept loses it's appeal. 
    Yeah, that's really not for me. I have to be doing stuff.

That's why I periodically send the wife and sproglet off to Paris for a week - peace and quiet in the house is my holiday, because is means I can get shit done :D
    <space for hire>
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I've had one holiday this year, being taught by Justin Sandercoe in Tuscany for a week in the company of 9 other guitarists, and I'm off for a few days holiday this week-end making a start on my next guitar build with Mark Bailey.

Haven't had a straight sunshine holiday for quite a while, but they ain't bad to have from time to time.