Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Post Jam Photos, Videos and Chat Thread!

What's Hot

Comments

• Had a brilliant day yesterday, everyone was so supportive (and tolerant!). Special thanks those who organised everything and everyone who jammed/practised in Room 4. In terms of things to bear in mind, suggest more slots for skills sessions, particulary one up front. Am definitely in for a Southern event (or Quad next year if the Southern event doesn't happen).
    Cheers, Ian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brocco said:
    Had a brilliant day yesterday, everyone was so supportive (and tolerant!). Special thanks those who organised everything and everyone who jammed/practised in Room 4. In terms of things to bear in mind, suggest more slots for skills sessions, particulary one up front. Am definitely in for a Southern event (or Quad next year if the Southern event doesn't happen).
    Cheers, Ian.
    Do you mean the workshops? 

Yes, I think it would be good to get the workshops a bit more incorporated so the inexperienced folks could get some serious time in.

The biggest problem is balancing the time out so that everyone gets a chance to do a bit of everything.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited September 2017
    Oh, and @slacker - have you started any internet searches for a Pre-CBS P bass yet?
  • TTony said:
    Plectrum said:
    TTony said:

@bridgehouse, if you really think it sounds better in my hands, well, I thought I might keep my eyes open for a half-decent cheap bass to practice on ...
    I'm still trying to work out why it sounds utterly epic when anyone plays it, but when I play it it sounds like a slightly out of tune Westone Thunder..... 

It's just down to where you're standing WRT your amp.
    I play wireless and it still sounds shite even when I wander off to the loo mid song... ;)
    Not true.

It sounded quite good at that point.
    This is the point where I bail out of this argument :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Plectrum said:
    @Plectrum - you are, of course, right in your serious comment - placement near the amp def. affects perceived quality of sound. 

My comment was self deprecation of my own abilities. I'm overly critical at the best of times...
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Brocco said:
    Had a brilliant day yesterday, everyone was so supportive (and tolerant!). Special thanks those who organised everything and everyone who jammed/practised in Room 4. In terms of things to bear in mind, suggest more slots for skills sessions, particulary one up front. Am definitely in for a Southern event (or Quad next year if the Southern event doesn't happen).
    Cheers, Ian.
    Do you mean the workshops? 

Yes, I think it would be good to get the workshops a bit more incorporated so the inexperienced folks could get some serious time in.

The biggest problem is balancing the time out so that everyone gets a chance to do a bit of everything.
      Kudos to @bigjon for the workshops after working all day singing and/or playing on most (all?) songs.
    I bet he just wanted to rest after that rather than try to teach a rabble about how to solo etc.

Room 4 was great as a practice/warm-up for the main jam,  I found it invaluable.  Definitely recommend it for future events.

• @bigjon deserves a huge thanks from everyone - next year I will make sure there are other vocalists to take the pressure off...
    Apologies I forget who it was who recommended a Trio Band Creator pedal, but I've bought one!

Fundamental problem that doesn't help though - need to do a lot more playing with others.

Been doing too much playing with myself.

Ahem.
    Trio or Trio+ ?  The latter has a looper built-in, automatically synchronised.  I sold my Trio and separate looper to get a Trio+ and I agree it's the bee's knees, although not as good as The Fretboard Jam :)
  • aord43 said:
    Apologies I forget who it was who recommended a Trio Band Creator pedal, but I've bought one!

Fundamental problem that doesn't help though - need to do a lot more playing with others.

Ahem.
    Trio or Trio+ ?  The latter has a looper built-in, automatically synchronised.  I sold my Trio and separate looper to get a Trio+ and I agree it's the bee's knees, although not as good as The Fretboard Jam :)
    The Trio+ is more portable tho...
  • aord43 said:

Ahem.
    I've just got a trio, already got a looper so will put both on my new board that I'm going to get.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Not sure who's responsible for the video but, per pre-jam discussion regarding permission/veto, I am fine with video of my performances being released, if the others are OK with it. That's Mustang Sally #2 and Sunshine of Your Love #2.
  • yeah would love vid of Pretty Vacant if there is some
  • Plectrum said:
    @Plectrum - you are, of course, right in your serious comment - placement near the amp def. affects perceived quality of sound. 

My comment was self deprecation of my own abilities. I'm overly critical at the best of times...
    I'm very self-critical too. I think it's good for me to be like that because it pushes me to improve. I've also had the slightly humbling experience of a very good pro guitarist playing through my gear :o
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • aord43 said:

Ahem.
    I did the same. Great bit of kit for practice

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • aord43 said:
    Not sure who's responsible for the video but, per pre-jam discussion regarding permission/veto, I am fine with video of my performances being released, if the others are OK with it. That's Mustang Sally #2 and Sunshine of Your Love #2.
    @digitalscream - I believe his intention is to chop the video up and distribute to those playing, who can then choose to keep, destroy etc. 

Only video where all participants agree will be published anywhere.

I'd give him some time tho - it's a massive video to edit and chop up, and I don't envy him at all with the task ;)
    One of @Pablo 's photos (actually Sunshine of Your Love #2) was inexplicably darker than all the others, so I have made a couple of adjustments and put it up here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9tLdgXfdNtlVnp3Tk5PZ3ZNWnM/view?usp=sharing

• PabloPablo Frets: 38
    Thanks @aord43 ;

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited September 2017
    Please count me in for next year @Bridgehouse - just booked in the family diary!

Available as an emergency backup last-minute replacement vocalist obviously, but it sounds as if there will be many more advance volunteers next time, so I might be subs bench only, which would suit me well.

Noted re requests for more frequent workshops during the day. Willing to help but I personally prefer spending most of the time in the live room either playing or listening to the others play, so I would hope someone else might be running the during-the-day workshops.

My main constructive suggestion for improvement to next year is to have a longer period of feedback beforehand deciding what songs are going to be played, eg two weeks with a longlist on a Google drive spreadsheet, we could vote on which ones we ourselves would like to practise and perform, and the songs for the day could be selected from that depending on how popular they were.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    aord43 said:
    @digitalscream - I believe his intention is to chop the video up and distribute to those playing, who can then choose to keep, destroy etc. 

@digitalscream - how about we (as in, mainly you)

1. Chop the video up into the individual songs
    2. Sync the sound
    3. Upload to our YT channel in private mode
    4. Create a new - temp - section here, accessible only to those who played on any of the tracks
    5. Publish a link to the tracks in that section (thread per song perhaps)
    6. Collate the release approvals in each thread
    7. Release to the wide open world
    If you're happy doing 1, 2 & 3, I'll deal with 4, 5, 6 & 7

??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    I've no problem with anything I'm on going online - I know there's something daft I got wrong in 2 run throughs of the same song, but am hoping it might be buried in the mix - sorry to the other players if not!  Certainly not bothered about any of my mistakes or jaded attempts at soloing being 'out there' though