Acoustic strings - a journey...

What's Hot

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I have always used Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 13-56 on my Martin HD28 but have recently fitted a set of D'addario EJ17 phosphor bronze uncoated as I got a few sets free and have read that they are the bluegrass payers strings of choice for that authentic Martin bluegrass tone.

I really don't like the EJ17s, they have a lot less volume, the bass has gone and within 3 days my fingers smell of metal after playing and they sound dull and are draggy. Horrible.

I may try the Martin coated strings on my way back to the Elixir nanowebs. The nanowebs sound loud, full and last months. The only downside is that on my Martin with the forward shifted scalloped bracing the elixirs get a bit thin and plinky on the treble.
    Bummer about the EJ17s. While I use Elixirs a lot, they can indeed sound excessively “thin and plinky” on certain guitars. Still looking for a halfway house with the durability of Elixirs but a slightly fatter sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited July 2019
    I have always used Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 13-56 on my Martin HD28 but have recently fitted a set of D'addario EJ17 phosphor bronze uncoated as I got a few sets free and have read that they are the bluegrass payers strings of choice for that authentic Martin bluegrass tone.

I really don't like the EJ17s, they have a lot less volume, the bass has gone and within 3 days my fingers smell of metal after playing and they sound dull and are draggy. Horrible.

I may try the Martin coated strings on my way back to the Elixir nanowebs. The nanowebs sound loud, full and last months. The only downside is that on my Martin with the forward shifted scalloped bracing the elixirs get a bit thin and plinky on the treble.
    Bummer about the EJ17s. While I use Elixirs a lot, they can indeed sound excessively “thin and plinky” on certain guitars. Still looking for a halfway house with the durability of Elixirs but a slightly fatter sound. 
    Ordered a set of Martin Authentic Lifespan Phosphor Bronze 13-56, the Lifespan 2.0 ones, to try and will report back once fitted to the HD28 next week.

As you suggest still looking for strings that last like Elixir Nanowebs with the volume but not the harsh top end.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Interested to hear about the lifespans!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited July 2019
    Creature of habit here - I use Elixir Nanoweb on my Martin & Breedlove.  Sound ok, last very well, and don't get stinky or stained fingers.

D'Addario Gypsy (for long necks, with low tension) 10s on the Maccaferri style, they are great, v.loud, twangy and durable - though lose a bit of clarity & voume with prolonged use.  They also don't snap after 2 weeks like the ubiquitous Argentines favoured by Gypsy style players - I've never been able to get on with them (or Galli, or Newtone gypsy strings - Galli are as prone to snapping (for me) as Argentines, Newtone last ok but are awful sounding after a few hour's playing).  By way of balance, most Gypsy players I know swear by Argentines, just not this one ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    edited July 2019
    so, finally got round to fitting the newtone heritage. Got the usual thing of hating new strings I always have, but one odd thing I noticed is that the low E doesn't quite intonate right, which I've never had with any strings before. If I tune it to E then the G and A (3rd and 5th frets) are slightly sharp, but then everything else is fine along the string, I have to sorta compromise the tuning to make sure everything is close enough to OK. Has anyone else noticed that with this brand of string?
    With regard to the lower tension, I can certainly feel it, and there doesn't seem to be a drop off in volume or tone, so from the POV they work well, sadly my joints on my left hand are still painful even after only 1/2 of playing.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    @VimFuego Is it a long scale or short scale? I believe these are not recommended for short scale guitars.

camf said:
    @VimFuego Is it a long scale or short scale? I believe these are not recommended for short scale guitars.

according to the larrivee website, 25.5.

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    edited July 2019
    @VimFuego ;I think, when @ICBM was setting up one of my guitars, he had a similar issue. I know he added a second ball end to the lower E to shift the wrap back off the bridge and that seemed to fix it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hmmm, that could fix it, will have to wait till I fit the next set though, not sure I'll be able to do it to this set. 

Sorry are these heritage strings meant to be  lower tension? I put 11s on my Larrivee to "lower the tension" and it still sounds fine. There are strings advised for this?
    Are these just strings with thinner bass strings?
    edited July 2019
    tommy, IIRC they are the same thickness as 12's, but have a different structure that makes them lower tension. The theory being you get the same energy transfer to the soundboard. Or something. 
    That said, I had 11's on for a while and can't say I noticed a huge difference on tone etc. TBH I'd probably go back to them. 

edited July 2019
    Ah I think this rings a bell.. isn't the core material "softer" or something?

I'll read up as lower tension better for the hands (I get sore hands, too). Thank you!
    ok, so the newtone's have been on for a few days, and while I don't play much guitar anymore, been given them a pay each day. The new string zing has settled down nicely (I always hate that zing), impressions are good so far. They seem really powerful, well balanced but with some nice bass ooomph comepared the d'adds 12's I had on before. For fingerpicking they really project well. Still getting some pain in my fretting hand though, especially the finger I broke a few years back, but it does seem less than the previous strings.

edited July 2019
    Interested to hear about the lifespans!
    OK fitted a set of Martin MA550T Lifespan .013-.056 to the Martin HD28 this morning, I also shaved the bridge down slightly as after a year from new the action had crept up a little, action is now set at 6/64ths - 5/64ths and it plays great. I used a little nut and saddle sander jig tool that I bought last year to shave the bridge (see pic), which made steady, even sanding a breeze. I won't use it often but it really makes the job easy. 

The Martin Lifespan 2.0 strings are wonderful, much nicer than the D'Addario EJ17s, quite similar to the Elixir Nanowebs but have a bit more of that woody Martin mid-range tone.

I've been picking the HD28 up all day and really enjoying these strings. I'm going to order a few sets. Drop the Low E to D and capo at 2nd fret and you can get lost for an hour noodling!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    @RandallFlagg that's good to know. Will try a set of those when my current SPs get too crusty
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Gratuitous shot of the HD28 with the Martin Lifespan 2.0's fitted. Woodgrain starting to darken in places as it ages, this is after 1 year.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll defo try these lifespans, thanks!