NCD: Mondeo HDCI

What's Hot
NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467

2008 Mondeo Edge 2.0 Turbo diesel. 64K miles

I had a 2004 Nissan Almera 1.5s Petrol 110kmiles .  I could probably get it in the Mondeo's boot...

Very big step up in all areas!

Feels very solid and the ride is brilliant. Love it when the turbo spools. Shifts for such a big car. 6 speed gearbox too.  All kinds of electrickery for a base model.

Thanks for the help choosing, pretty much a no brainer in the end. Would perhaps have liked a bigger spec but would have put the mileage over 100k for anything Titanium spec. at my budget.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Tidy that is Niall, time to replace our shitbox 99 Corolla soon, may have a look at something similar, what was your budget ( I know dick all about cars)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Around £6k but this was quite a lot under that so I'll also be able to tax it, insure it and give it a decent Ford Dealer service if need be with a modicum of parts if needed.  I didn't want to go for a private buyer so got it from a local independent but basically got pretty much a private deal price all in all.  At around £6K you'd get a better spec 80+k miler.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Nice job, you utter bastard! I want to trade my old Mondeo in for one, but finances are not permitting. I've driven a couple and they're nice cars. Well done!

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    ....well at least you don't have to face the bills that come with replacing 235/40/18 tyres!

Glad you got one, welcome to the club.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Nice car. The Ford Mondeo is one of the best cars on the road. You chose well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Deadman said:
    ....well at least you don't have to face the bills that come with replacing 235/40/18 tyres!

Glad you got one, welcome to the club.

:( I feel your pain broseph!

@jonnyburgo - If you buy one, you will not be disappointed. They are amazing cars for the money and there's ones that suit all budgets. Even the Edge that Niall has bought comes loaded with electrickery, as he said. Couldn't be happier with mine...except for the tractor wheels that cost me an arm and a leg to replace! :D
    Tractor wheels? I halved my tyre costs when I sold the MGZT and bought the Monderosa. Actually, I halved pretty much ALL my car costs, never mind tyres.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349

Looks a very clean car. Nice one.  :)

Tractor wheels? I halved my tyre costs when I sold the MGZT and bought the Monderosa. Actually, I halved pretty much ALL my car costs, never mind tyres.
    Haha! My mate had one of those, it was basically a moneypit too!

The car costs, on the whole aren't that bad (and by my calculation, insurance should cost me around £260 this year, down from £420 last year in the same car (being married FTW!)...But the tyres! Unless you want to drive on dust compacted into a tyre, the 35/40 18 tyres are the most expensive tyres I've ever had to buy by a long way. They look frigging awesome though! :D
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Honestly the only car you'd ever need. I've driven a few of them and when you get out you try to think about anything that's wrong with it, and you come up with nothing. It's the consummate car. It drives well, it rides well, it goes well, it's practical, it's comfortable, it's economical, it's even handsome. Good call.
    I was thinking about getting the Ford Snowflake 18" alloys but might just leave it now lol.  I've been looking at Ford servicing costs and it would appear it'll cost the same at Ford main dealer that my Almera did at an independent! I think i'll probably get it checked by Ford anyway.  Still mightily impressed. Adjusted the drivers seat and in the back seats there is huge room, I'm 5' 10" so even with a 6'+ driver there would still be ample room.  Getting used to the sheer size but its well planted and gives a lot of confidence due to its composure.  I still expect it to be wallowy and hard to control but its just superb.
    @Niallmo - did yours come with rear parking sensors? I know the edge doesn't as standard, but they're worth getting if you can afford the upgrade. The titanium never used to come with them either, but when we bought ours, we had them installed (they were put on the bumper like most cars, but that didn't really bother me), and they're a god-send because when you're reversing you never really get used to HOW FUCKING BIG it is!

I don't take mine to our local main dealer, mostly because they're cunts, and I found a decent local place who does warranty servicing etc (which doesn't matter now anyway as I'm out of warranty), and touch wood, I've never had bad service (no pun intended) from them.

I'm 6'1" and there is still mountains of room in the back for anyone that's there.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    I think it depends on the dealer, re servicing. I had a service contract on my Focus through Dagenham Motors. The local one when I Iived in Brentford were indeed a bunch of cnuts. They never offered a loan car, they tried to stiff me for work that definitely didn't need doing and I'm pretty sure they made up things just to charge extra. (£25 just to adjust a headlight to get it through the Mot for instance. It had passed perfectly fine for the previous two). The same company in Epsom are totally different. "Would you like a loan car sir? Or shall we pick the car up from you? " Never paid a penny extra for the servicing or Mot's either.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Mine's got front and rear parking sensors and I keep turning them off because the beeping gets on my tits. Best feature has to be the old heated front screen. Its a god send in the winter. Heated washers too! Amazing!
    Mine didn't come with the parking sensors but may well get it added as the back end is somewhere in the next county.
    Ford do a minor service and full safety check for £99 so ill probably get that done next week and ask about parking sensors.

I can cope with MPG like this, first trip to work and back...a lot of motorway and a bit of town.

I'm off for a wank.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How the fucking fuck do you get 50.1mpg?! The best I can manage is about 45! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I reset the average when I got it home yesterday, it was showing 38 mpg.  However I reckon I can keep up the 50mpg. Sixth gear on M-way at 65mph/1800rpm seems like a good compromise. I'm already treating the average MPG as a game but I'm not trying THAT hard.  put about 35 liters in this morning which would get my Almera about 350 miles, trip reckons I have at least 439 miles and was as high as 479 about halfway home tonight.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    Trip computer MPG is notoriously off and Mondeos seem more optimistic than most. My merc's trip shows 44mpg since last reset but brim to brim fills and a calculator show I am actually getting 36 to 37mpg.

It's all lane driving and I do get a shuffle on a fair bit so I am not too bothered with it. I'd expect a bit more with motorway driving.

Nice car btw. I was going to go for the Titanium x sport but could not find one without the 19" alloys. Tyre price and the amount of pot holes I have to avoid put me off it.
  • RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    I just got, well a month ago, a 12 plate 2.0TDCi Zetec Estate 16k , replacing a 1.8lx petrol estate on an 03 plate. The difference in fuel consumption is stunning, mines averaging 45mpg but it is cat5 emissions. Remember if yours has the diesel particulate filter you'll need to run it at a constant high ish speed so it gets chance to what they call "Regenerate" basically cleaning itself. Loving the cruise control as well