Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    New episode was a cracker.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Wolfetone said:
    Here's Pike in Star Trek series one...
    There is sort of a happy ending to that...

"He has fantasy, you have reality, may your path be as pleasant"...

His accident happens saving some cadets, and they have clearly established a group of "command training" cadets (a concept in trek that dates back to TWOK, Saavik was an LT. but a cadet on the command program) including Tilly.

So I hope he leaves under happier terms than that, although his eventual grim fate is ahead of him.

A certain Lt. James T Kirk is out there at this time as well, and we don't know in "canon" that the first ship he commanded was the Enterprise.
    I would be thrilled to see Cpt James Tiberius Kirk making an appearance. I don't know (if it happens) how they would portray him or under what circumstances but it would be cool nevertheless  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Wolfetone said:

A certain Lt. James T Kirk is out there at this time as well, and we don't know in "canon" that the first ship he commanded was the Enterprise.
    I would be thrilled to see Cpt James Tiberius Kirk making an appearance. I don't know (if it happens) how they would portray him or under what circumstances but it would be cool nevertheless  
    Kirk would be in his early-20s at the current time I believe, so very much in his years as a Lieutenant, maybe canonically in his time on the USS Farragut, but although there have been many, many novels filling in Kirk's time before the Enterprise, there is very little in the actual episodes.

Kirk could make an excellent Captain if they do a "different Captain every year" show, but I guess eventually Michael will get the centre seat.  Saru should get it as well, but then Saru is brilliant.

As to who could play him, until Chris Pine did it, I'd have said nobody, but now I'd say they should be able to find somebody just fine.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Really enjoyed the 1st season once I got past the Klingon shock which did not take long as I think you have to forget perfect generational continuity over 50 odd years Worf looked nothing like the original Klingons who were weirdy beardies with french crops. Now fully engaged and waiting for each season 2 episode. 
  • I liked the tiny reference to the Enterprise being immune to problems all other ships were experiencing due to the lack of holographic displays, and that all ships would be returned to manual controls at some stage.  

• I would actually like them to limit appearances by already-known characters as much as possible. 

The best episodes odes so far have been this week’s and ep2 of this season where they do something completely new and have a bit of an adventure, telling a self-contained story in one or two episodes. 

Thats where Trek has always been at its best.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    You'll know when the time's up - there'll be a time-line anomaly storyline ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Really enjoyed the 1st season once I got past the Klingon shock which did not take long as I think you have to forget perfect generational continuity over 50 odd years Worf looked nothing like the original Klingons who were weirdy beardies with french crops. Now fully engaged and waiting for each season 2 episode. 
    I think that a lot of the fans are way too OTT on the visual stuff.  Trek was an expensive TV show for the 60s but ultimately it was still cheap (TV just didn't attract big budgets back then) and the technology was very limited.

Some fans genuinely want Treks set before TOS to look more primitive than TOS, which is daft.  It is just a TV show, albeit the one I grew up on (TNG in my case).
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • I found the last two episodes a little boring, just find Spock and get it over with... I take it that Captain Kirk will make a return :) 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited February 2019
    A heads up- there are 4 'Short Treks' which are standalone 20 minute episodes about individual characters and really worth a watch. 'Calypso' is fantastic and I loved the Saru and Harry Mudd episodes too.

They're kinda hidden in Netflix like Easter Eggs, you need to go to the episode list and then choose 'trailers & more' and they're in there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    DiscoStu said:
    A heads up- there are 4 'Short Treks' which are standalone 20 minute episodes about individual characters and really worth a watch. 'Calypso' is fantastic and I loved the Saru and Harry Mudd episodes too.

They're kinda hidden in Netflix like Easter Eggs, you need to go to the episode list and then choose 'trailers & more' and they're in there.
    Thanks for that @DiscoStu, checking it out now  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4985
    edited February 2019
    DiscoStu said:

Tried that, but there's no "trailers & more" option that I can see

After mucho faffing about, I found it!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    edited February 2019

Wild guess removed now that I've seen the new one! :D 

• Uh oh.. Talos IV
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited March 2019
    Uh oh.. Talos IV
      Can’t wait to see the “Bumheads” 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    The last couple of eps were properly great. Not trad Trek, but good TV and *miles* better than any of season 1.

I would actually quite like it if they don't stick to canon and make a complete multi-season show with Captain Pike. I don't want him getting made half-dead.

Please?
  • not yet at least.. he is very Trek
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Spoiler

Now they've found Spock hope it gets better - too muchtimey-wimey stuff is usually a hint of a run being cancelled

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Jalapeno said:
    Spoiler
    snip
    Nah, not yet - they've just renewed for season 3

I hope they're listening to all the "more simple episodic adventuring stuff" opinions that everyone seems to be agreed on :) 

Jalapeno said:
    Spoiler
    snip
    Nah, not yet - they've just renewed for season 3

I hope they're listening to all the "more simple episodic adventuring stuff" opinions that everyone seems to be agreed on :) 

The Saru episode was good, in and of itself, despite being in the story arc

Feedback