Another Century - The Church from album Man Woman Life Death Infinity

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited October 2017 in Theory
The new release from The Church had Another Century as a lead single ...

There's some interesting shifts that seem to break out beyond the rules of theory. There are three sections that follow the below patterns ...

| :   Fm   |   Bb   |   Bbm   |   C  
: |

| :   G   |   E  

| :   F#m   |   Dmaj7   |   E 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited October 2017
    Nice lush moody music. I wouldn't say it's actually beyond the rules of theory because theory is only there to explain what's happening not to constrain what can happen. Let me try:

The three lines are somewhat disconnected despite their roots being close to each other chromatically.

The first line is fm obviously, and the Bb to bbm reflects a darkening of the IV chord. Essentially it moves from f Dorian (which is a bright minor mode with a major IV chord) to f Aeolian (which is a more natural minor and has a minor IV chord) - and then we go to the C dominant chord, which is a major V chord (so you could say it moves from f Dorian to f harmonic minor if you wished). 

Then it goes to that G major, E major section - which accentuates the minor to major in E (because the G note in G major moves to a G# in the E major chord - the same thing that you hear in the first 2 chords of Smoke on the Water for example (though the order is reversed).  

Then it goes to f#m with a i-VI-VII progression. 

The jumps from one phrase to the next are quite non sequitur-ish. I like the way he holds that G note on "anywhere", which is shared between the C chord of the first phrase and the G chord of the 2nd phrase. The 2nd-to-3rd phrase leap is less obvious, but he doesn't sing over that gap so by the time he needs to sing a note the chords are established. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited October 2017
    Have a wow and a wisdom @viz ... thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom