Why I joined, and what I'm looking for here

What's Hot

Comments

• I've joined as I was looking for a Diezel VH2 for sale in the UK, found one on here and was very pleased with the whole experience. I've since bought more gear and thought I would also try and sell some things as my gear collection is a bit of a revolving door! I'm always on the look out for a bargain so can't resist cruising forums like this one to see whats out there! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12344
    Yorkie said:
    Hi, 
    My name is Jon. I have always been a fan of British music and gear. I moved to York 8 years ago after wandering around the world (I am a scientist), but it hasn’t been until my wife gave me a quality Les Paul clone for my birthday that I got a little bit more serious about learning guitar & music in general. Aside from clocking hundreds of hours of practice, I have been gearing up lately, and have once again been impressed and fascinated by several perhaps underrated UK makers/designers. I want to learn more, and this forum seemed well populated by respectful, older folk who will probably know a lot gear-wise. I also did a bit of basic repair work on a guitar recently so I’m also into that. 

Thanks for hosting this site. I can empathise with other posters about Facebook killing forums. I like forums and I don’t find Facebook inspiring. 

Jon
    Older?!?

yes welcome to the forum Jon.....,

cheeky bleeder : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm Jon, live in SE London.  For about 20 years I've been a (bad) acoustic strummer who also likes singing in the privacy of my home, but I haven't really moved beyond chords and short fills in all that time.

I got an electric about a year ago, and now have the bug, and have been practising scales, buying pedals, getting frustrated that I don't sound like Gilmour or Page- or even Springsteen ;-) - and all the other stuff that I guess comes with that...  My dream is that one day I will get to play live, with others etc, in some form or another; but I'm generally a bit nervous, and go to pieces even if my gf is watching me!!

I've wanted to join this forum for a while, as there's gear on here I've been interested in buying - and I also now have pedals to sell of course.  But I'm also interested in finding out technique tips, getting a sense of what others are doing, what their journey has been etc.  It took a while to join as I couldn't get the verification emails for months, until I realised both MS and my work email were likely blocking them, and so I got a new email address just to sign up ... so here I am!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    Hi folks, I’ve been a long time reader for a good few years, I play reggae and dub , mainly at home and private parties these days, it seems a friendly place so I’m looking forward to a few chats, cheers ☝️
    Riddim up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1494
    munckee said:
    Yorkie said:
    Hi, 
    My name is Jon. I have always been a fan of British music and gear. I moved to York 8 years ago after wandering around the world (I am a scientist), but it hasn’t been until my wife gave me a quality Les Paul clone for my birthday that I got a little bit more serious about learning guitar & music in general. Aside from clocking hundreds of hours of practice, I have been gearing up lately, and have once again been impressed and fascinated by several perhaps underrated UK makers/designers. I want to learn more, and this forum seemed well populated by respectful, older folk who will probably know a lot gear-wise. I also did a bit of basic repair work on a guitar recently so I’m also into that. 

Thanks for hosting this site. I can empathise with other posters about Facebook killing forums. I like forums and I don’t find Facebook inspiring. 

Jon
    Older?!?

yes welcome to the forum Jon.....,

cheeky bleeder : )
    Wiser, I meant wiser [slaps forehead].
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 91
    Hello, I’m hear to gain wisdom and improve my incredibly mediocre guitar skills. 
  • Hello from Glasgow, Scotland, love guitar, always have, been on the theory train for a few years and need some company on this journey, my fav band would probably be Dire Straits with a close second of   Fleetwood Mac and my fav bit of gear is My Strymon Big Sky! 
  • Hello from North East UK. Been playing 20yrs but mainly not playing for the last 8 due to career. Now in a period where I can get back into it. Currently without any guitar, however after all these years finally treating myself to a US Fender Tele, so looking forward to that and maybe learning some new things like chicken pickin :) would enjoy getting back into having a few sessions with other people but wouldn't even know where to start. Anyway hello. 
  • Murray28Murray28 Frets: 1
    I joined because I want to be inspired again, pick up the guitar again.  Not played or higher throughout Covid, and ends of my fingers have gone soft!

Played in various bands throughout the 2000s.  Mainly local gigs, playing covers from the 1950's to reasonably modern stuff.  We were all ages 40+ with a few in their 50s and 60s so tended to play stuff from our era.

Lecturer by day, so with summer break comming up wanted to dust off the guitarist try and record some old songs of written when I was in my youth.

Have cabled with 4 track recording in the past (Good old Tascam Porta 2). 

i don't play any other instrument, so first foray into PC recording was via  Band in a Box (which I don't have that anymore).  If create the backing track using the accompaniment software and then add the guitar audio after.  If then export the separate audio and midi tracks into Cubase to do the mixing.  However results were not that great

So am looking to try and record via my PC using some sort of DAW, but not sure if the best approach.

Have done some research, but nothing is jumping out as the one that would meet my needs.

I'm going to look at some posts on here and maybe add a question to see if anyone can help
  • Hi Murray, i use Garageband on an apple computer, it comes with it installed, has its limits but a decent DAW for my needs
  • pepperonipepperoni Frets: 22
    Hi all. Just joined. Getting back into electric guitar after a decade or so off. Looking for a place to chat about new guitars. To trade guitars etc.

Prefer the old style of forums to facebook as i believe facebook is one of the banes of society today...

Based in God's own country (Essex).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I guess I joined due to boredom! I found myself retired "on the scrapheap" and I didn't like gardening. But I'd been playing guitar since 1960. I wouldn't say I'm any 
    Only part of why I joined seems to have come through. I'm sure it's my fault. My apologies. 
    May I try again, since my first attempt failed? I had taken retirement, stuck around the house with nothing to do, getting bored. But I'd played acoustic guitar since 1960, so I thought I'd look for other guitarists, share my limited knowledge and, hopefully, help others. I won't get into arguments, just here to be friends. 
  • I joined after finding the site has loads of useful interesting content about all things guitar :) I read content from pretty much all the categories. The classifieds section is a good resource for obscure / niche items.

I find the mobile site ok - it's fine for looking at content and basic replies on the move, which all I expect from it.

The desktop site is fine as it is too. I wouldn't change it, it works well. Quoting replies is much preferable to a threaded view in my opinion.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Long term Bass player, new to 6 string so looking for all the tips and tricks and will try to avoid buying too much kit! My bass rig is a Fender American Uktra in cobra blue, through a Terror 1000W head into a pair of barefaced cabs. Mostly play punk/ alternative but also dabble with a bit of Ska saxophone.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    CE1 said:
    Long term Bass player, new to 6 string so looking for all the tips and tricks and will try to avoid buying too much kit! My bass rig is a Fender American Uktra in cobra blue, through a Terror 1000W head into a pair of barefaced cabs. Mostly play punk/ alternative but also dabble with a bit of Ska saxophone.
    I’m sure you’ll be met with a chorus of approval!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    CE1 said:
    Not the only ska saxophonist on here ( not me) so you could have a very tiny sub forum. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1090
    I'm Paul. I'm 43 and have been playing since I was 15, though you probably wouldn't believe it if you heard me.

I was a member of the old Musicradar forum for years and the Regent Guitars forum way before that.

I stopped posting round about the time we switched over to here. I just wasn't enjoying it and wanted to spend less time online.

I haven't really been looking to participate at all over these last few years until recently when I started researching my next purchase. I used to benefit from great advice and had some great experiences in the Classifieds back then and am glad to see many of the old names still here.

I don't intend to be very active, but will chip in from time to time and help if I have anything worthwhile to say.
  • 12watt12watt Frets: 2
    edited November 2021
    I was recommended to join as I have a 1980 Super Reverb to sell and was told that this is a good place to advertise. I have been playing 35+ years and currently use Japanese Yamaha semi acoustic guitars through Bad Cat and Fender amps. I was a member of MyLesPaul for a few years but found it too niche after a while. Looking forward to digging deeper into the forum.