Why I joined, and what I'm looking for here

What's Hot

Comments

• jonathanjonathan Frets: 2
    Hi, I joined the forum to see if there are others that have the same struggles with playing that I do! Also happy to share anything useful I have learned over the years, pick up handy tips etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:

Unless someone could build us an app that retained ease of use on a smaller device ;)
    I'd suggest that the template could be improved to be responsive so that it looks good on both desktop and mobile. An app should be last resort, IMO...keep it simple.

This is something I'd love to help with, but time is limited at the moment. Do you admins have a section to talk about styling and frontend/backend imrpovements of the site? If so, I'd love top join in the conversation and help out.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    "Frankly, Mr. Shankly, I want out."
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Joined to ask something. Can't remember what (old age and wine) but have other questions. I play a bit only for personal amusement. Hate subjecting others to it. Left off for a while but looking to get back into it. Soon setting up man cave. Got amp, small mixer, laptop. OH and a beer fridge! Want to run backing tracks. Ability to slow them might be good. SO.... Is MIDI long gone? Best (cheap) route for me. Good backing track sites (free is even better). All the questions I should have asked. It's a long time since I pulled back the foreskin of technology. Not sure what's out there. What's available for laptop. Multitrack backing tracks? I so miss guitar uk newsgroup and newsgroups in general. Cheers me dears
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brand new member. I joined for two reasons:
    1. to discuss gear, amps, guitars, pedals with other UK residents (much easier to work off gear recommendations form UK based users as, with other popular forums, a lot of gear tends to be small builders from the USA with pedals and amps that aren't readily available in the UK).
    2. I get through a lot of gear myself. I have a Reverb store. I only ship within the UK (EU if you're lucky and it's something you particularly want and can't get elsewhere). Putting some of my gear up for sale on a UK based site is definitely going to help.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2584
    Mainly to find out stuff about gear.  I'm a long-term guitarist and bassist but never been that much of a gear-head.  This place is full of people who know far more than I do about amps, pedals, the tech side of guitars etc.

And of course to spend a little time with people who don't find my obsession with guitar a bit weird.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • DennisBDennisB Frets: 1
    I just joined this site after following a Google link relating to a rare 70’s combo that I am restoring a (Redmere Soloist). My main interests are Gibson guitars and British & American valve amps. I am currently de-cluttering so will post some ads in the appropriate section in due course. Too early to give feedback on site usability; but so far seems AOK. 

• ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    Been lurking for a few weeks, joined yesterday.
    Just want to learn more about gear and playing live.
    No interest in buying or selling.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    I joined because I was looking for some independent advice.

I was looking for a new modeller and it's a bit of a minefield. Online reviews on YouTube are useful to an extent, but you never really get a sense that they are impartial. There are some very knowlegeable folks on here who are happy to contribute and that is what makes this place great.

Having joined I've discovered it is a good place to chat about everything guitar related and I have received (and given) advice on all sorts of things.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687
    edited September 2018

Joined kind of on a whim, haven't done forums in a few years, mostly stuck to facebook groups, but the format doesn't allow for engaged discussions (I remember when that used to be said of Forums).

Anyway, I've found the fretboard to be useful for various queries I've plugged into google for UK based techs, shops, etc etc, mostly recently a thread that showed me there's a well regarded cabinet recovering service just up the road from me.

So i thought I'd join and see how the landscape has changed. Also wanted to join something more UK focussed rather than International. So much gets lost in communication due to cultural differences at times.

Where would be the thread to post pics of my gear, as that is the usual joining tradition?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    @tekbow ;

Welcome to theFretBoard - and thanks for taking the time to read through the New Members section and  do the intros.
    :)

Gear pics are *always* welcome in the guitar, amp and/or FX sections, either separately or all together depending on how  much there is, and how wide your camera lens angle is!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1687

@TTony;

Thanks mate, there's a variety of stuff in every category, but i'll stick it all in one thread in Guitars.

Cheers and beers

• I'm 56 years old and have been playing since I was 13. I'm from Rotherham, and used to play the local circuit in the late 70's and early 80's with an original music band around the same time as Def Leppard - remember the days when they were trying to cadge a smoke - we were all skint back then, even though beer was only 48p a pint :)

I've not played much in the past 7 years, mainly due to some nasty sports injuries and other things have taken a priority.
    Back in the Music Radar days, the community helped me though the injuries and I'll always be grateful for that.
    I also met some very decent and well respected members from the old forum that are still contributing now.

I've had more time to get back in to playing recently, and am regaining my past form, but have no plans to play live.

I'm obsessed with guitars, and have owned far too many - anyone outside a community like this would think I'm a total nutmeg - I can waffle on for hours about the minute details. But as the saying goes, if I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say anything - or at least I try :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Hi folks

Why am I here.  Well basically as someone just getting started but also being in my early 50's I have all the noob questions that you would expect.  This seemed like a great place to pick up information and also to be part of and share my journey with ( assuming anyone is interested :) )

I'm also sure that the Classified section will come into play as the phrase 'all the gear but no idea' seems like it was created just waiting for me to come along and fulfil the prophecy.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2959
    Paul7926 said:
    Hi folks

Why am I here.  Well basically as someone just getting started but also being in my early 50's I have all the noob questions that you would expect.  This seemed like a great place to pick up information and also to be part of and share my journey with ( assuming anyone is interested :) )

I'm also sure that the Classified section will come into play as the phrase 'all the gear but no idea' seems like it was created just waiting for me to come along and fulfil the prophecy.
    I'd be interested in your journey Paul.

I started to learn back in March (acoustic) at the age of 51, now looking to delve into the world of electric.  I'd describe my progress as slow and procrastinatory but as I've felt I've not really got a musical bone in my body the fact that I can actually strum a few chords together has astounded me.

Because I now enjoy using the chords I know I tend to stick to them and the ones I find more difficult or more obscure I find I can't be arsed with, likewise learning scales, chord theory etc. I'm hoping this changes with time because I know it must if I'm to improve.

But right now I'm just loving the fact I can play a bad version of Pretty Vacant!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Hi @Paul7926 I will also follow your journey. I'm near Portsmouth and after really enjoying the fretboard jams I've been to at Woking and Hertford I'm thinking about next year sorting something out for the proper southerners if you are interested. There's a fair few dotted from Dorset to East Sussex way and on the Isle of Wight. Just need to persuade @mrkb and @Bridgehouse to get passports as they are pretty useful for that sort of thing : )
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Thanks @Shrews & @munckee ;

@Shrews I can relate to your excitement about Pretty Vacant as I can murder the chords to Highway to Hell just well enough that it sounds something like it's supposed to (sorta).

@munckee That sounds too advanced for me at the moment but you never know what progress might be made in the intervening time.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Paul7926 said:
    Thanks @Shrews & @munckee ;;

@Shrews I can relate to your excitement about Pretty Vacant as I can murder the chords to Highway to Hell just well enough that it sounds something like it's supposed to (sorta).

@munckee That sounds too advanced for me at the moment but you never know what progress might be made in the intervening time.
    If you can play open chords you'll do @ paul7926!  Seriously we played on sunday and there were people improvising solos and others (mostly me!) playing basic rhythm.  Great thing is we all got to play together.  No minimum level of achievement required, the sense of achievement in playing along with a song however is massive.
  • I'm 72 now & arthritis has caught up with my fingers ( & various other parts !) but I still play most days so not all is lost 

Currently modding a Blues Junior I picked up the other week so I can get back to playing the DE & other vintage instrumental tunes at a decent volume when I get the chance to make some noise
    I'll start with the amp section & see where it goes from there

Cheers  D.
  • I joined because I like learning about gear

I used to visit Harmony Central and find the indexed  gear reviews very useful, but when that changed owner and format, it seemed to lose all relevance
    Finally the classifieds are great. I found my Lazy J40 here (oh happy day ! )   
    and have sold a handful of pedals as well