Why I joined, and what I'm looking for here

What's Hot

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    RussG said:
    Just posted in the newbie section to sort of introduce myself. Unfortunately, regarding the ten questions thread,, as i dont actually play (yet!!), I couldn't give any answers LOL. 
    However, i joined here as this forum looks like the most comprehensive one on the web, and looking at some of the threads, you seem like a nice bunch!
    When I say Newbie, I really am just that....to coin some lyrics.....two chords and the truth......and that is exactly all I have.
    I have joined an online tutor community...Justin.com....its free LOL, so will see how that goes
    Justin.com is good, but you've got to practice and keep going (see post above). For ages it will seem like 'you can't do it' then all of a sudden it starts to click.  Then you'll learn something new, you'll think you can't do it, then all of a sudden it'll start to click. Then you'll learn something new.........

I'm a year in, but had 6 months where I had to put it to one side (bereavement).  I know of 20 chords now and can play about 10 of them 'automatic' i.e don't need to look (like changing gears in a car). I can play about 20 songs or so.

Badly of course, but fuck man I'm playing music!  It feels good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260

I'm strictly guitars and kit, playing, building, trading, knowledge. I don't need the ranting, baiting, trolling and other social media bits and just avoid all that stuff. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I joined because I bought a guitar off a member and thought the site seemed cool when I was browsing.

I then bought another guitar off another member and thought I should probably limit my time on the site before I end up homeless [albeit with a nice guitar arsenal].

So I come on once in a while to look at the Gear for sale and have a browse around. 
  • docddocd Frets: 0
    Mid life (old age) crisis return to guitars after doing a bit in my teenage years, I joined to catch up with whats new in guitars and gear, maybe buy and sell some kit and hopefully learn something.
  • RosshkerrRosshkerr Frets: 0
    Been playing for nearly 18 months now and hope to get tips and hints. Anything to help me improve my playing or tips on gear.  Just chat with like minded people 
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
    edited May 2019
    Hi, new here, so thought I'd say hello.

I've been playing guitar and been involved with music most of my life, my enthusiasm is sadly a lot greater than my talent.  I have worked for a few years as a sound engineer, mostly live, some in the studio.  I'm a better engineer than a guitarist by quite a margin!

I do all my own luthier work, and have screwed together some nice partscasters over the years.  But sadly they left with a "one-in, one-out" policy!  Ones that got away included a fantastic Hamer Special, and a 1962 SG with a Bigsby.

I'm here to learn, be inspired, buy and sell some gear, especially currently as I need to reduce the amount of gear I have, as I just don't have the room I used to have.

I've returned to guitar after a long break, and want to rationalise what gear I have, practice more, learn more, and just enjoy playing. 

I saw these Q's and thought it'd be good to answer.
    1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    No name guitar that I bought from a lad at school, probably around '74.  He went on to be a HUGE star!

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 
    Probably my Brook Taw

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own? 
    Brook Taw

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire? 
    1x12 combo cab for my JTM45

5: What strings do you use? 
    12's on acoustic, 10's on electric, I'm not fussy about the brand.  

6: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar? 
    Learn so stuff properly, and practice.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • GA95MusicGA95Music Frets: 6

Hello!

I joined for a few reasons. I am just starting to get back into guitar after neglecting the passion for a few years! I have fallen out of love with my Gibson LP and i am looking for a PRS or Ibanez replacement so my home will be on the Classifieds! I joined down to the advice of @HarrySeven who, may i say, is possibly the most helpful human on the planet. 

So, if anyone knows of someone who is looking for a Gibson LP Classic 2014 or wishes to trade a PRS, let me know! 

Best,

George. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    GA95Music said:

I joined down to the advice of @HarrySeven who, may i say, is possibly the most helpful human on the planet. 
    Well, I try... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    HarrySeven said:
    I try... ;)
    Indeed, he does. ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • RockLobsterRockLobster Frets: 1
    edited July 2019
    Hello,

I've joined as I'm seeking advice. I need to sell a half stack Framus Cobra which has been sitting in my parents house for five years. They have finally demanded the space back and I have no idea as to the best way to go about selling such a piece of kit. The purchase was probably rather excitement fuelled, but I had fun with it. Actually bought it from the old guitarist for Brighton's Furyon / new guitarist for Tyketto if that rings any bells.

I've never posted on forums. Perused them, sure. This place seems full of really lovely, interesting people though. So, after my fairly utilitarian introduction to the forum I may well stick around for the rest!

Cheers,

Haydn
  • LynxLynx Frets: 8
    Hi everyone, so after my introduction here I go,

I've joined this forum hoping to find some suggestions and help. Although I dabbled when younger, I'm pretty much starting from zero. I will mostly be spending my time in the review section and reading through to find tips and tricks for beginners. Matter of fact, i'll be making my way to the Guitar part of the forum to post about the potential guitar I'm about to purchase and ask for second opinions.

Cheers!
  • Paul31Paul31 Frets: 22
    edited August 2019
    Hi All! I joined to chat with folk about music and guitars mainly, plus as well as some other topics of interest, also to learn new things and maybe help anyone if i can as well.

I have been playing on and of for a fair amount of years and i hope stay with it this time, i play mostly by ear now but know theory as well which helps, i play mainly rock, and jazz fusion as well as some Indian type music.

Also i like progressive music from the 60s and 70s as well to listen too, but dont really play it myself much, but would of loved to of been in one of those types of bands all them years back as i like to experiment abit now and then, and i am sure the other band members would of helped me along abit also.
  • I joined because I need to play more and having a place to visit to get help, that's friendly is a good thing. Primary reason is below. 

Also I have inherited a Yamaha from my late stepfather. I am not sure what to do with it. Keep or sell?

It looks fantastic. Sounds okay, but have to re-string today after thorough dusting and Lemon Oiling. 

It is a Taiwanese made (Kaohsiung) FG-365S.

Serial number lookup is a bit squidgy as the first number is either a 3 or an 8. Which means either 31st May '73 or 31st May '78.

Fanks. 

Peace is the absence of desire. Discuss...
  • KRSKRS Frets: 9
    edited September 2019
    I'm here 'cos I've been using the forums for information, a bit of fun and lots of great advice on modern guitar gear, which I'm a bit behind the times with.  Thought I should sign up 'cos there's been a few threads I wanted to add to.

I found a guitar in the classifieds so that was the push I needed to get on board..

I'm a professional tutor and musician so hopefully I've something to bring to the party. I've found tons of fun stuff on here recently so it's a pleasure to get involved. 

Oh yeah, and I'm looking to buy some white noise so if you hear of any up for sale, please let me know!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    Hi, I'm Tarquin, I joined to sell my Les Paul and I'm lookin' for £3k
    tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KRSKRS Frets: 9
    edited September 2019
    Hootsmon said:
    Hi, I'm Tarquin, I joined to sell my Les Paul and I'm lookin' for £3k
    Hi Tarquin, welcome to the forum. There's a classified section were guitars change hands for extraordinary amounts of money. 
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 776
    Hi - I'm just here to drool over guitars and pick up a thing or two from more experienced players.
  • 6G66G6 Frets: 1
    Trading gear with other selected fellow GAS affected people of course! May end up talking amps at some point I’m afraid..
  • Here to sell a guitar, and also to try and get a bit more into playing again after a good few dormant years.  Have a little more time on my hands now the baby is now a child, and need a bit more inspiration to stop cranking out the same few riffs / songs each time I pick a guitar up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • les287les287 Frets: 13
    I bought a guitar made by a certain G Pollard and was looking for info on the guitar and the builder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom