Curtain Poles

What's Hot
Hate the bloody things! During the recent spell of hot weather, the bracket supporting one end of mine separated itself from the wall.

Rawl plugs are short as there is a thumping great RSJ behind where all three brackets are.

Various attempted cures have involved (separately and in combination) Pollyfilla, No More Nails, larger diameter plugs and screws and a huge amount of swearing.... All to no avail. I am contemplating battening the wall and attaching the brackets to that, though I'm not keen, due to how it will look.

Please help....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    Drill into the RSJ and tap the holes properly for bolts? That way the house could fall down and the curtain pole would still be attached...

I doubt a few small screw holes will weaken an RSJ to any measurable degree.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    double sided sticky tape?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• its your house telling you to get vertical blinds..

• I've always fixed a length of wood to the wall, paint or paper it, then drill the poll into the board.  Will never come down.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • strumjoughlamps;16042" said:
    its your house telling you to get vertical blinds..
    Certainly for business premises these might be acceptable....
  • randomhandclaps;16044" said:
    I've always fixed a length of wood to the wall, paint or paper it, then drill the poll into the board.  Will never come down.
    I reckon this is probably the way to go, however, given limited room for Rawl plugs before hitting the RSJ, how do you fasten the wood to the wall? I like ICBM's drilling and tapping idea, but my drill won't touch the RSJ at all....
  • randomhandclaps;16044" said:
    I've always fixed a length of wood to the wall, paint or paper it, then drill the poll into the board.  Will never come down.
    I reckon this is probably the way to go, however, given limited room for Rawl plugs before hitting the RSJ, how do you fasten the wood to the wall? I like ICBM's drilling and tapping idea, but my drill won't touch the RSJ at all....

It depends what you are talking by limited space really?. What may be limited space to hold a standard issue 5mm curtain pole plug may be perfectly sufficient for a descent size plug   It also gives you the opportunity to apply more screw points and spread the load.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclaps;16082" said:
    It also gives you the opportunity to apply more screw points and spread the load.
    Thank you. I'll give it a go....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    randomhandclaps;16044" said:
    If you expose the whole length of the RSJ where you want the curtain pole to go and glue the wood to it with No More Nails I would think that would hold - the surface area will be huge.

Sounds like drilling the metal isn't such a good idea - if the drill won't touch it you probably won't be able to tap it either, even if you get a harder drill.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7280
    edited August 2013
    RSJ may refer to: 
    Religious Sister of St Joseph, used as a post-nominal by members of the Congregation of Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart 
    Rock Street Journal, an Indian rock magazine 
    Rolled Steel Joist, an alternative name for an I-beam RSJ 
    (band), a metalcore band from York, UK
    For those of us who aren't DIY types I assume theyre talking about Religious Sisters of St Joseph.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ