Coursera.org

notanonnotanon Frets: 605
I've tried Coursera for a couple of courses and I can recommend them (free if you don't require a certificate or extra tution etc). Nothing like having deadlines to submit the exercises to force you to find time to learn. Also you can say to family, erm sorry I need to study and submit an assignment rather than I'm reading.

I have done improve your musicianship first course (there are more now). Very basic but it does focus on improving one's ear for music which was good for me. Basically it covered blues progressions but covered identifying intervals . . . 

I've done the music production course. Excellent introduction to music, recording,. . .  for me. More intense and harder work in my opinion. Covers types of microphones, noise, DAWs, how effects work (wet/dry, LFO,...) . . . Loads more.

I almost completed the song writing course. The guy has collaborated with lots of people. The most intensive for me. I spent hours on this each week. I learnt huge amounts. Type of rhyming, number of lines, tension, harmony of choice of words, . . . Shed loads. Clashed with Christmas the other year so never completed but it's excellent.

I can't decide whether to study The music of the Beatles or the other newly added Improve your musicianship courses.

Hope the FretBoard folks find this of interest, let me know ;-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Thanks. V.interesting
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks interesting, however a quick Google search gives some very mixed views, especially on the support/financial side of things.
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/coursera.org

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/education/coursera.html

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    So are you saying all of the courses are free in their ‘basic’ form?
    There's always the OU ...

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    There's always the OU ...
    Last time I looked the OU didn't do much music. And they're expensive (by comparison with 'free')
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Well Berkeley for short music courses online

Feedback
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    @BRISTOL86 I've never paid for my courses
    @Jalapeno Coursera uses the Berkely courses it is like an learning portal / collaboration
    @OnTheRopes maybe they are judging the paid for certificate I have never paid. The introduction to music was excellent, well recommend for those new to recording. Song writing too. 

My wife started a psychology course - that was terrible because of the lecturer.

The are no doubt crap lecturers in Oxford.

Not like you will lose money.
    I've used other online free lectures MIT - they were just mathematics lectures broadcast. Many years ago. OU give next to nothing free only a 'taster' at if lessons. One with a name similar to edexcel I can't remember. Coursera has been the best so far but our web delivery is always difficult.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I have tried a few online courses, not music, mainly from FutureLearn.  They are pretty good but my problem is lack of time and motivation!
    @aord43 ;
    I think I looked at FutureLearn too I think they all try to be a portal and take from the same places Like Berkeley for Music, MIT for Maths etc.

I know what you mean it gets hard to find the time but I use that as a kick up the back side to get things done to meet the deadline.
    Just signed up for the Music of the Beatles and Music of the Stones £37/course for certificate and free for non cert. They started on the 6th but you can still sign up.
    Concentrated on the Beatles course this evening. Intro about the kit, about the books, . . .. The course designers decided to cover some music fundamentals. This is the first of 3:

Shows how they gauge the readership. So far well thought out IMO.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2017
    The Pat Pattison songwriting course is a great way to get you started in lyric writing. It may even be all that you need. You can also audit the course for free.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    ^^ yep couldn't agree more.