I'd like to find a guitar teacher

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
I'm old. 54. Been playing for decades but not that good really. I'd love to learn some stuff, Satriani, Robben Ford solos, other things but ...... I'm lousy with tab and I can't remember stuff one day to the next. I've been wondering about trying to find someone to help, but it's probably not that easy finding the right person, plus I get very inhibited playing in front of others so I'm not sure it would work. It may be an old dog new tricks scenario. Thinking about it though ....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Try this - https://www.rgt.org/tutors/index.php or there some good online courses e.g. True Fire or have a Skype lesson with someone like Greg Howe.

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    Kebabkid said:
    Try this - https://www.rgt.org/tutors/index.php or there some good online courses e.g. True Fire or have a Skype lesson with someone like Greg Howe.

Yes, skype is excellent, though if you can find someone local that'd be ideal. Greg Howe will likely steer you in the direction of jazz fusion; for Satriani-like stuff I'd imagine there are plenty of local teachers around, if you can just find one!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I found it better personally to have lessons with a guitar tutor, as things such as bad technique could be better assessed. Some of the time was spent focusing on songs I wanted to learn, and for trickier songs this was done in chunks, moving on once I'd learned a section. Like you, I was inhibited playing in front of someone else, but this soon went once a rapport was established. I've since played gigs. As for remembering songs, for me it's a question of practice and playing them regularly. After a while, it's down to muscle memory. In addition to finding a guitar teacher, have you any friends locally that play? Jamming with others is an effective and fun way to improve your playing. I think there are a lot of bedroom players around who would benefit from playing with others, but it's a question of getting over inhibitions (and we all make playing mistakes!) and making the effort.
  • would 2nd trying the RGT site, plus a simple google search of your area should give you loads too. I teach, and would just make sure you look at the websites thoroughly and check out their playing. There will be a few not-so-good ones, but there are generally lots of excellent teachers out there. Most will offer a free taster session, and if after that or a few lessons in you decide that they're not for you, you can always move on to someone else without causing offence. There's also the Skype stuff as @viz and @Kebabkid mentioned, but depending on where you are located, you may be near people like Martin Goulding and other relatively well known players who write for guitar magazines and the like.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I probably wouldn't go the Skype route. I have never skyped, there's something I find intensely unnerving about talking to someone on a screen. Just another of my weird phobias. I think I'd need to find someone I could sit with.
    Where is best for you?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    viz said:
    Where is best for you?
    Local. Life is mad busy with work, commuting and 4 kids so not a great deal of time for faffing about. I live in that backwater cesspit known as Luton.
  • axisus said:
    I probably wouldn't go the Skype route. I have never skyped, there's something I find intensely unnerving about talking to someone on a screen. Just another of my weird phobias. I think I'd need to find someone I could sit with.
    Ah that's a shame, I would have offered Skype lessons as I'm in West London. Am a registered RGT Tutor too so if you did want to go through grades I could have done it. Have been to Luton many times before with my band, interesting place let's say...haha.

And I'm struggling to sell Skype lessons for some reason people don't like the idea of it. What's there not to like? You don't have to leave your home and pay extra travel costs for a tutor to come to you. Lesson scheduling so flexible cos of this and its easy to set up. Its similar to watching a YouTube tutorial except with a proper tutor you get feedback as they can see your fingers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    viz said:
    Where is best for you?
    Local. Life is mad busy with work, commuting and 4 kids so not a great deal of time for faffing about. I live in that backwater cesspit known as Luton.
    Ah soz, don't know anyone in Luton. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    Lestratcaster said:

Its similar to watching a YouTube tutorial except with a proper tutor you get feedback as they can see your fingers.
    I suppose it probably depends a bit on relative costs. Via Skype you're not going to get as good a view of overall posture compared to in person.

So a step up from watching a pre recorded tutorial, but not as good as an in person lesson; does the price reflect that?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    I'm 55 been playing decades and crap. I do play out. If you want to jam, let me know by pm. 

I highly recommend going to a fretboard jam if they have one near.

Confession time I like living in luton.
  • axisus said:
    viz said:
    Where is best for you?
    had a look on the RGT site. There only appear to be 2 teachers in Luton itself (neither with a website), but search on the LU1 postcode and there's loads of decent looking ones within 10km :)
  • Sporky said:
    Lestratcaster said:

Its similar to watching a YouTube tutorial except with a proper tutor you get feedback as they can see your fingers.
    I suppose it probably depends a bit on relative costs. Via Skype you're not going to get as good a view of overall posture compared to in person.

So a step up from watching a pre recorded tutorial, but not as good as an in person lesson; does the price reflect that?
    I use a HD camera and can also do close ups of both hands (like a second camera as well to show right hand). 

Its still an hour of my time and lesson prep will be the same so I don’t see why it should be any different.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Well, a Skype call is not real time, so you can't play together. That is a key difference. Obviously, there's a lot one can still learn from a good teacher even with that constraint. I believe other options with better connections are available: https://estaccato.com/en-gb is one I've heard of.

• That’s only a small drawback. To get round this I play first then stop, then let them play with the backing track I sent them.

This is for scenarios when neither party can travel or logistics such as location doesn’t make it possible.  It does not to have to be restricted to Skype either. FaceTime, google hangouts and a site called Tutora all do video calling.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Lestratcaster Sure, and one could use a band-in-a-box type solution to swap out chords/subsitutions almost instantly to play over in progressions if that's what you're working on.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    Sporky said:
    Lestratcaster said:

I use a HD camera and can also do close ups of both hands (like a second camera as well to show right hand). 

Its still an hour of my time and lesson prep will be the same so I don’t see why it should be any different.
    I understand that from your point of view, but from a students' point of view you are not going to see their complete posture so may miss something that's holding them back.

As I said, I see Skype (or similar) lessons as between recorded and in-person in terms of effectiveness.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I've struggled for a while to find a tutor, there are a few near me I've tried but they were either jam sessions (that i was paying for!!)  or i just wasn't inspired by/like the guy.
    I expect a tutor to ask what your ultimate goals are and set out lessons/practice regimes accordingly, sadly I've never found this.
    Maybe i'm asking too much?
    I too am put off by Skype etc, to my mind just a step up from videos, but i get why people would go down that route.
    I'm in Ely Cambridgeshire if anyone has recommendations
    edited November 2017
    adampeter said:
    I've struggled for a while to find a tutor, there are a few near me I've tried but they were either jam sessions (that i was paying for!!)  or i just wasn't inspired by/like the guy.
    I expect a tutor to ask what your ultimate goals are and set out lessons/practice regimes accordingly, sadly I've never found this.
    Maybe i'm asking too much?
    I too am put off by Skype etc, to my mind just a step up from videos, but i get why people would go down that route.
    I'm in Ely Cambridgeshire if anyone has recommendations
    Tim Gillett or Dave Carter spring to mind
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I won’t deny there will be limitations when using video calling software, camera angles and sound are some but with the right equipment I can’t see why you can’t run lessons that way. Most laptop and HD we cameras have good coverage and picture quality. You can always reposition it during get the lesson if you can’t see fingers or sitting position. I can see my learners very well via a webcam so haven’t had any issues. 

For some people they’ll like it for others not so much. I’m just saying it’s another option if travel isn’t possible.