Driverless cars

What's Hot
How comfortable would you feel in a driverless car

We've all seen how impressive the google car is. But there is something inside of me (other than enjoying driving),
which would want me to be looking ahead, unless the car no longer looked like a car.
Also would I want to own one? These should really be driverless taxis. i.e. I want to go from A to B.
Just hail one and it turns up at your door. You load up, lie down/work and arrive. No parking problems then.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    When they are properly safe - lovely.

At some point they will be safer than human drivers and that will be excellent. The chance to relax and read a book or catch up on some telly etc rather than worrying about the other drivers...?

Wonderful idea.

The day of the Jonny Cab is close!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    Maybe Boris should introduce driverless cabs into London now that might take London Cabbies down a peg or two
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Some of the Nissan Micras round here already appear to be driverless.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The sooner we're able to remove human error from the equation, road travel will be much safer. The "Motorist" won't like it, but they're part of the problem.
    My V key is broken
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789

I thought these were already driving about in the USA, 4 states have changed the law to allow it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car#2010s

Play guitar while you drive to work?

If you have darkened windows you could do allsorts...

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited March 2014
    Sounds like a plan to me as long as on the days you want to have a scud out into the country you can go manual if required.

In towns and cities though it is a winner for me. Taxi drivers will be SOL though.

Also in the same vein.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834

Someone had to.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Yay for KITT boo for KARR.

Netfix (US version) has the box sets of Knight Rider and Airwolf along with classic Dr Who and the like.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207

I thought these were already driving about in the USA, 4 states have changed the law to allow it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car#2010s

There's no fun without an aufience.
    My V key is broken
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Maybe Boris should introduce driverless cabs into London now that might take London Cabbies down a peg or two
    Given how much trouble driverless trains are likely to cause with Bob Crow's mob, I dread to think what the threat of driverless taxis would do.  The cabbies could bring London to complete gridlock in half an hour by having a hundred of them park on key roundabouts.

In a way I hope that the crooks at Addison-Lee win their battle over bus lanes as TFL would be forced to ban all cabs from bus lanes.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Play some j~zz?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited March 2014
    Because what humans need is a more sedentary life. 
    Call me when we can get some gym equipment in these driverless contraptions.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    no more parking problems, just send the car for a drive and call it when you need it
    crunchman said:
    Given how much trouble driverless trains are likely to cause with Bob Crow's mob, I dread to think what the threat of driverless taxis would do.  The cabbies could bring London to complete gridlock in half an hour by having a hundred of them park on key roundabouts.

In a way I hope that the crooks at Addison-Lee win their battle over bus lanes as TFL would be forced to ban all cabs from bus lanes.
    I have to say I prefer Addison-Lee over a black cab. Generally the drivers are a lot more friendly, cars are comfortable, warm and quiet and not glorified tractors like the london black cabs
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Black cab drivers are far better.  If I'm on my bike and see an Addison-Lee vehicle I will give it a wide berth.  Their drivers are awful - as are most other minicab drivers.

It's quite handy now they have the blue roundel badge for mincabs now.  It's a very handy warning saying Watch Out Bad Driver.

The problem with cabs are that they are almost all diesel, and are spewing out oxides of nitrogen in large quantities - to the point that the EU is going to fine us £300 million, and more importantly causing massive health problems.  Having vehicles with relatively large diesel engines driving around and normally only carrying one person really isn't helping.  Encouraging it by giving them use of bus lanes, and discounts on the congestion charge, is absolutely mental.

Why does a black cab need such a big and old engine, when driving around London. Surely a small modern clean turbo diesel would do the job?
    Hybrid would be useless as cabs never get up to the most efficient cruising speed for long periods of time. I always laugh when I see a hybrid bus (and when is your battery actually going to charge).

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I've had my fill of modern electronic control in automobiles. What happens when it decides to take you to the wrong place and won't listen when you try to correct it? What happens when the "authorities" override its navigation and it takes you to the nearest nick, because the navigation system told the authorities that you had gone to a venue yesterday where there was a meeting of a political group that the authorities don't like? What happens when the software decides there's a fault and won't let you travel in the thing, and there's no-one for miles around with any diagnostic software  (happened to me this week - I'd be better off with coil & contact-breakers).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Quick Phil - wrap that tin-foil around your noggin before it's too late!

• There was a story on BBC news yesterday about a Rolls Royce concept for robot cargo ships.

You'd still need a maintenance crew on board, the last thing you want is a bloody big tanker floating adrift, waiting for a mechanic to be flown out to fix the darn thing.
    Also what about pirates? Yes you won't have any hostages. I can just imagine pirate ships sailing along plucking containers off these ships