Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

hahahaha so very true.......

Where's Bucket for his take on them (1 erection I believe he called them.......)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    I couldn't believe that they managed to get mentioned on the BBC news this morning. We have war in Syria, Civil war in Egypt, the US and Russia rattling sabres at each other over the middle east, an economy being run by crooks and yet the BBC prioritise mentioning some boy band I've never even heard of!!! And some twat compared them to the Beatles! My flabber was well and truly ghasted.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Calm down, Vim. You'll be on the same tablets as me soon!

hmm, who gets to eat them 1st?

I so wanted to donate a LOL and a wisdom to Vim for his mini-rant (wisdom won)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Has it occurred to you that you might not be in the target demographic for One Direction?
    I'm a bald, middle aged slightly overweight folky, what you mean I'm not their demographic?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    VimFuego said:
    hmm, who gets to eat them 1st?

You go first. You're blood pressure is probably even higher than mine. Which is off the scale at the mo, and I don't think im going to be around for too muspch longer

kk, I'll put em in the mail when they come out the other end. Should warn you, I eat lots of veg so am extremely... regular.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834

Never a truer word spoken....or written in this case.

:-&
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    edited August 2013
    Ok chaps, am I doing something wrong by pasting a photo bucket IMG code in the post, it doesn't seem to show the picture, just the link?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    I saw that picture on Twitter yesterday. It's brilliant. @mike_l, you wanted "my take" (which I read as "An Rant") so here you go:

I fucking hate One Direction. Bunch of soulless corporate whores making formulaic, autotuned garbage which contains not even the faintest trace of anything approaching substance. There's no integrity and no artistry to it at all - the record company knows it can make shitloads of money out of them, so their writers will churn out the same song over and over again because they know it sells, hand it to the androgynous, unthreatening pretty boys to record it, and they know people are 100% guaranteed to eat it up, as well as all the T-shirts, posters, books, mugs, tea towels and other assorted bullshit that goes along with it. It's a sorry state of affairs.

And as the poster in the OP picture so eloquently points out, One Erection's music allows Simon Cowell to become even more fantastically, extravagantly, hatefully rich than before, which is possibly what I hate most about it.

EDIT: Hang on - this post is quite vitriolic and it's occurred to me that, given that I am of a similar age to the members of One Erection, I may be taken to be envious of their success. I'm not - they're far more successful than I could ever hope to be from playing the music I'd want to play, and I'm cool with that. If I achieve any success in music, I want to do it by playing stuff I would want to listen to. 
    There is no envy at play here, I just fucking hate One Direction.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    tFB Trader
    You don't need the IMG code just the link.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    I'm not sure I've ever heard them so find it hard to get much upset about them. I take it they're some sort of popular beat combo like the Monkeys or Beetles or Take Hat or so on?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    I saw that picture on Twitter yesterday. It's brilliant. @mike_l, you wanted "my take" (which I read as "An Rant") so here you go:

I fucking hate One Direction. Bunch of soulless corporate whores making formulaic, autotuned garbage which contains not even the faintest trace of anything approaching substance. There's no integrity and no artistry to it at all - the record company knows it can make shitloads of money out of them, so their writers will churn out the same song over and over again because they know it sells, hand it to the androgynous, unthreatening pretty boys to record it, and they know people are 100% guaranteed to eat it up, as well as all the T-shirts, posters, books, mugs, tea towels and other assorted bullshit that goes along with it. It's a sorry state of affairs.

And as the poster in the OP picture so eloquently points out, One Erection's music allows Simon Cowell to become even more fantastically, extravagantly, hatefully rich than before, which is possibly what I hate most about it.

EDIT: Hang on - this post is quite vitriolic and it's occurred to me that, given that I am of a similar age to the members of One Erection, I may be taken to be envious of their success. I'm not - they're far more successful than I could ever hope to be from playing the music I'd want to play, and I'm cool with that. If I achieve any success in music, I want to do it by playing stuff I would want to listen to. 
    There is no envy at play here, I just fucking hate One Direction.
    I can see why you would hate them as I imagine you have been forced to suffer them at the hands of girls at school. Let me tell you that one of the great joys of being in your thirties is that I can honestly say that I don't know a single One Direction song and I couldn't pick any of the members of the band out of a line up such is the minimal impact that they have had on my life. 
    Unfortunately I suspect in my forties I will have to endure whatever innane crap my daughter will enjoy when she is a teenager, but right now she's a baby and her favorite bands are, Chic, Bob Marley and Bill Withers :)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    I can see why you would hate them as I imagine you have been forced to suffer them at the hands of girls at school. Let me tell you that one of the great joys of being in your thirties is that I can honestly say that I don't know a single One Direction song and I couldn't pick any of the members of the band out of a line up such is the minimal impact that they have had on my life. 
    Unfortunately I suspect in my forties I will have to endure whatever innane crap my daughter will enjoy when she is a teenager, but right now she's a baby and her favorite bands are, Chic, Bob Marley and Bill Withers :)
    I went to an all-boys' school so it wasn't that bad, but my 15-year-old sister used to be a pretty big fan of them and is only just discovering the merits of real music (Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard etc... she does like Bon Jovi though, which is annoying). I have had to hear a lot of that shit coming from the room next to mine. I think she still sort-of likes them, but seems to be moving on. Thank fuck...

Honestly though, while the over-exposure does bug me, and it's not my type of music at all either, it's the principles and the total lack of musical integrity, as well as the fact that it's lining Satan Cowell's pockets, that really annoys me about them.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I think it's time for Mr. Bucket to officially become a grumpy old man at 18. Congrats, it took me until about 23 ;)

It's OK, and nothing at all to be ashamed of!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...

@bucket ; calm down son or you'll end up like me (old, fucked and full of spite)......

@monquixote ; I feel for you fella, another  few years and you'll have the next incarnation of said boyband to listen too.... Although being a dad must be awesomes.....

I guess I'm lucky in that I have around 45 minutes to, and from work to listen to the music I want to listen too.

• My son explained to me a couple of days ago how the latest 'One D' single sounds very like Baba O' Reilly by The Who. Whether it does or it doesn't, I've no idea....

I asked him (he's eleven) how he knew about The Who? The inevitable reply was 'I read it on the Internet'....