A bit of a long shot but are there any aircraft pilots or aircraft instrumentation engineers on here

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
If so form an orderly queue, I've questions for you. Artificial horizon content.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28028
    I did an aeronautics module for my degree. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten all of it but would be happy to make up some crap. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Is the camper that unstable on the motorway?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Are you about to crash? If so, can you make sure that you video it for the lads?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    he's gone very quiet, I suspect you guys were too late. I hope you're all happy.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    excellent, get your thinking/makingup cap on then ...

when I was on holiday in my campervan t'other week we were parked on a slight hill, which meant me and mrs.decker suffered a bit of rolling to one side of the van during sleeping. So I was thinking of getting a caravan leveling indicator, which is basically 2 spirit levels, to make sure we park nice and flat. But the ones I've seen so far are pretty naff.

Sooooo I thought maybe an aircraft artificial horizon instrument might work better, and look cool too. Anyway I've seen one on ebay from a WWII Me109 (going cheap atm but its early days in the auction). 

How do they work? Are they basically a float in a liquid or is there a load of sensors and electricery that are needed to make it go? I'd only need the pitch and roll axis working.

ta

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

Is the camper that unstable on the motorway?
    Oh yes, hilariously so. Its like driving on an ice rink. Windy days are the worst.

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042

Bollocks to that - it's an instrument of war, used by the Hun to kill our flyboys.  Use a spirit level. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

edited August 2013
    McToot said:

Bollocks to that - it's an instrument of war, used by the Hun to kill our flyboys.  Use a spirit level. 

Its ok they lost. Plus its a VW, as in the company started by A.Hitler himself (kind of)

wiki: The Volkswagen Beetle, officially called the Volkswagen Type 1 (or informally the Volkswagen Bug), is an economy car produced by the German auto maker Volkswagen (VW) from 1938 until 2003.[6] The car was conceived by Adolf Hitler when he was leader of Nazi Germanyand wanted a cheap, simple car; he contracted Porsche in 1934 to design and build it to his exacting standards.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7753
    wiki says "Attitude indicators use a gyroscope (powered via vacuum pump or electrical motor) to establish an inertial platform."
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28028
    Just get a bubble level. Simple, cheap, no faff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001MBEPKM Not quite as cool as something from a WW2 plane though.
    Btw, Do you seek advice on the pro/cons of the traditional 3 saddle telecaster bridge in the off topic section of the Volksworld forum?
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 984
    Most are indeed gyros driven by vacuum (inlet manifold connection should be fine...), but perhaps of more immediate use (and lower price) are a plethora of free smart phone apps that'll do the same job.

Just visit your friendly local store.

Much easier to remove than a dodgy instrument bolted on too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh good lord no. Discussing non vw stuff on them forums is frowned upon.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    Just dont park on a hill.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited August 2013
    Phone app installed, good idea Headphones.

It would be cool to have an Me109 AHorizon though. Wonder if I could persuade my old man to let me have the Spitfire clock he's got tucked away in the shed too. :D

/doubtful

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited August 2013
    Remember spirit levels don't work if you are accelerating (including going round corners).
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    You can't tell if a van is tilting without an instrument to tell you ??? !!  If I still worked in the DVLA, I'd be sending you for a medical right about now.

Carol earlier today...

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Easy mistake Emp, that's not Carol, that the "Lady" Carol tried chatting up.......... >:D<

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Emp, you should take this up as your next project on Decker's behalf.