Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Semi-Hollow On A Budget?

What's Hot
So I've never owned a semi-hollow guitar, and have recently developed a hankering for dipping my toe in the semi-hollow water.

What I really want is a Gibson 335/355/339/359, but alas I'm about £1000 shy of being able to join that party!  So what I'm looking for is something that does a decent interpretation but with a max budget around £400 (either new or 2nd hand). I'd only go to £400 for something I really felt was worth it, ideally I'd like to spend as little as possible!

The options at that budget seem pretty huge. Obviously the Epiphone Dot is the obvious choice, and certainly the easiest to get my hands on to try in person. I guess what I want to know is whether there are better options out there for the money?

The Gretsch range seems bafflingly complex - are the Chinese ones any good?

The Ibanez Artcore series looks interesting, especially the AS93, though it would be stretching the budget somewhat. Anyone played/owned one?

What about the likes of the Tokai and Burny 335 replicas? Obviously the MIJ ones are well thought of but way beyond my means. Are the cheaper ones worth a look, or are they no better than the Epiphones?

Anything else I should be considering at this price point? All recommendations are welcomed! And if any of you have anything actually up for sale feel free to drop me a PM.  =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
  • I'd get a second hand Sheraton, easily achievable on that budget and lovely guitars. @shaunm has a couple and could tell you more. It's because if him that I started trying them. Haven't got one...yet!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    edited December 2017
    I bought a harley benton semi hollow for £120 delivered and put gibson pearloid tuners on, dulled the glossy coat and put seymour duncans vintage blues humbuckers in and changed the knobs and pickguard.  Paid a total of about £300 looks like a gibson es335, plays great and sounds great.

Downside of course is its not worth £300 but who cares I would never sell it.
  • antifash said:
    Thanks, that looks nice! Shamefully, I have to admit that I needed to look up who Jorma Kaukonen was - sounded more like a rally driver than a member of Californian rock band!  :3  That's really stretching the budget though. Will have to go on the 'maybe' pile...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    edited December 2017
    I don't think you will go far wrong with an Epi...I bought the cheapest spec 335 Studio dot and modded it.....I chose to replace all the hardware, for aboit £300 all in - used studio dot replaced all the harware and a pair of Iron Gear Blues Engines pickups.....I think if you shopped carefully for a used Epi, if you dont like it you should sell for waht you paid, theres loads of choice about....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I'd get a second hand Sheraton, easily achievable on that budget and lovely guitars. @shaunm has a couple and could tell you more. It's because if him that I started trying them. Haven't got one...yet!
    Yeah I'd had a look at Sheratons as I know they're well thought of, but wasn't convinced. From what I could tell the basic spec (woods, pickups etc) was the same as the Dot, just with more blingy cosmetics. If it essentially plays and sounds the same, I'm not fussed about the extra shiny bits, would rather stick with the Dot. Am I missing something?
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I'd try and get a pre 2000 (Samick) Epiphone dot, I had one and there was nothing wrong with that guitar, sounded great I think I only sold it because it was a bit frisky when cranked up in a small venue but I wish I still had it.  £300 would get you one of these I reckon.

Had an Artcore as well but I found it uncomfortable to play standing up.

A bit left field, I took a punt on a cheap Antoria semi once, it was about a hundred quid but made in japan and again there was nothing wrong with it except I didn't realise it had a Fender scale length.  I'm quite small and the guitar just felt too big but again it had a great sound.  
  • paulnb57 said:
    I don't think you will go far wrong with an Epi...I bought the cheapest spec 335 Studio dot and modded it.....I chose to replace all the hardware, for aboit £300 all in - used studio dot replaced all the harware and a pair of Iron Gear Blues Engines pickups.....I think if you shopped carefully for a used Epi, if you dont like it you should sell for waht you paid, theres loads of choice about....
    I think ideal scenario would be to find a used Epi Dot that had been given a new set of pickups and better electronics all round. There was one going on here a week or two ago that looked perfect, but I just missed out!  :'(

Neill said:
    I'd try and get a pre 2000 (Samick) Epiphone dot, I had one and there was nothing wrong with that guitar, sounded great I think I only sold it because it was a bit frisky when cranked up in a small venue but I wish I still had it.  £300 would get you one of these I reckon.

Interesting. How do the electronics of the old Korean ones compare to the current Chinese ones? I know general build quality is supposed to be a cut above, but wouldn't want to get one and then have to fork out for a pickup upgrade.
  • An Epiphone Dot and change the pickups.

When you want to sell the guitar put the original pickups back in and keep them, or sell separately.  Any decent quality PAF should be a decent upgrade.  I put a set of Duncan 59s in my old one, it sounded great.  Sometimes used Gibson pickups can go cheap on eBay, the 57 classic set sounds great in 335 types IMO.
  • An Epiphone Dot and change the pickups.

When you want to sell the guitar put the original pickups back in and keep them, or sell separately.  Any decent quality PAF should be a decent upgrade.  I put a set of Duncan 59s in my old one, it sounded great.  Sometimes used Gibson pickups can go cheap on eBay, the 57 classic set sounds great in 335 types IMO.
    Just had a quick search on ebay for Classic 57 pickups and this came up. Now wondering if I need to stretch my budget even further!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322919519758

Bloody dangerous game this GAS business... 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1468
    Another option is the Hohner SE-35. I found them considerably better that the Epi equivalents at a similar price point. If you can find one around the £200 mark I would go and try it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    Tokai UES range. Utterly stunning

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Plenty other superb HB replacement pickups to choose from instead of Classic 57s - see Mojo @Mojopickups ; or Oil City aka @TheGuitarWeasel ;
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Also - try a thinline tele.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Just to say in my experience Ibanez AS well worth considering also - as with others mentioned, a pickup upgrade might be an idea for the less pricey models, but good-sounding, well built guitars.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Keep an eye open for a Peavey Rockingham.
    They're becoming pretty scarce, but used to be not much more than £100 used.
    A real bargain for a real quality guitar. I believe they were actually made by Peerless, but could be wrong.
  • Gassage said:
    Tokai UES range. Utterly stunning
    Are they the Chinese ones? I'm not an expert on the Tokai range, all I know is that the MiJ ones look stunning and are way out of my budget!57Deluxe said:
    Oh for God's sake, now even more to add to the 'maybe' pile!  =)

This is getting way too complicated!  :3
  • You should have just nabbed the Hohner I had... Sold it on here for £180 in the end ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited December 2017
    Vintage VSA535

Ibanez AFS75

Fretking Elise

Hagstrom Viking

Hofner Verythin

Italia Mondial

Italia Rimini

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw