Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

If you lost your pedalboard on the day of your gig.......

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

No time to beg borrow or steal from elsewhere. Would you be in a panic? Would you pull the gig, or would you still happily go do that damn gig its no biggie? Or would you be badly effected and daunted at the prospect ? ;)

discuss chilblains......

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8760
    The show must go on.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got two, it's not a problem

I am aware that I am wilfully misunderstanding your question
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's very careless of you.

Where did you last see it?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    Roland said:
    The show must go on.
    Yep!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Obviously, this is another way for the OP to see how reliant people are on pedals - ha! But to answer honestly; I’ve gigged with fx, I’ve gigged without. and I’ve done gigs where I play - wait for it... an acoustic (amplified, not amplified depending on the venue). An amp is an effect in itself. Ask singers if they wanna go out there without a mic.
  • Just have to use the tuner on my phone  :o
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    I've got two, it's not a problem

I am aware that I am wilfully misunderstanding your question
    :)

Something like this.  I've got enough drive pedals for 3 pedalboards*, and a spare board at home.  I've got an amp with Reverb and Tremelo, and a delay pedal not on my main board.

*Buried in the classifieds in need of a bump is a thread trying to sell a couple of Fulltone pedals. 

• I’d play it, but I’d be fucked. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Yes I could, - I'd use my backup Flyrig5.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6738
    Louis Electric Columbia Reverb (or soon to be tweedyluxe 5e3 clone), volume pot. Job done. 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I could do the gig - most of my gigs are guitar straight into clean amp (bit of reverb) anyway, pedal board does get used for a pop covers band though - I can think of one song with that band that I'd have to leave out of the set if no effects. I do sometimes use a Roland Cube with built in FX and amp models for distortion if needed - cheating I guess, but I could still do the gig without anyway.
  • For covers band gigs I could get by with just a clean amp and an overdrive pedal without being fazed. I always carried an overdrive pedal as backup.

It's not a competition.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1282
    Two amps and an A/B switch. Tuner on my phone. Yes, I’d be okay but probably majorly pissed off at having lost a very expensive bit of kit.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited December 2017

AlexC said:
    Obviously, this is another way for the OP to see how reliant people are on pedals - ha!
    Yes obvs! Now then you lot that aren't playing ball - for you its a differenter situation. You have turned up to a gig miles and miles away from home, open the car/van boot to unload your guitar and all you've packed is your amp and a guitar...you forgot the rest. So the bass player has a spare cable for you to connect guitar to amp but that's all ya got. And now, for not playing nice you can't even cancel the gig cos you're at the venue and going on in 30mins and the band won't let you bail. That'll teach ya! :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've gone straight into the amp before, not ideal but can manage. The red channel just lacks a bit of punch and I won't have a tuner. Luckily I have 2 pedal tuners so could replace that.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    Not a problem.
    It happened last year when the board was fine at an afternoon gig at at festival but was silent at the evening gig and I was too rushed to troubleshoot.
    Just went straight into the amp. 
    Sounded fine but obviously I prefer to have pedals so it's not the same sound all night.
    Wouldn't matter if I was just playing one sort of music but we have to play a variety.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

What I wanna know though...is what would Angus do ? ;) 

• slackerslacker Frets: 2254
    I'll play, yes.

I love pedals and have a lot of really nice ones. Most of time time I'm playing an acoustic, an archtop either into an amp or without at home and maybe an electric unplugged.

Imho the point of effects is to make certain sounds and if the application needs those sounds you need pedals.

Tonight I'm doing a rare electric gig with two over drives reverb trem and a mel9. The mel9 is pretty essential but I'll cope without.

So to answer the question with a question what would you do if you forgot your guitar?

If the gig requires effects you wouldn't forget them and have spares. I might take spares tonight.
  • I'd be totally screwed :( 

I'd sort of love to hear U2 or Radiohead or Tom Morello put in that situation though. Not because I don't think they could handle it, but because I'm sure they could and it would be really interesting to see how they went about it
    Full disclosure: I'm a terrible guitar player. Work for Reverb.com as their UK Marketing Director and prior to that was Head of Digital Marketing at Andertons for 6 years. 
  • I'd be totally screwed :( 

I'd sort of love to hear U2 or Radiohead or Tom Morello put in that situation though. Not because I don't think they could handle it, but because I'm sure they could and it would be really interesting to see how they went about it
    Tom Morello ain't gonna do what anyone tells him to.