C18Q1. TTony goes mad.

What's Hot
Seeing as @Roland managed to completely wreck my original plan (see thread here) to build a guitar that I really didn't need, I've been trying to decide on what plan B should be.  Apart from being B, obviously.

My thinking, relatively uninfluenced by alcohol at this stage of the evening, could be represented by this ...

:D

More in the morning if I'm still feeling this mad.  

Meantime, guesses are welcome ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 15058
    edited December 2017
    Warr/Chapman Stick type.
    Every year, I grow half as pretty, and twice as drunk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 2551
    You’re making a shit gameshow?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 305
    A Rick Nielson tribute?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 15543
    poopot said:
    You’re making a shit gameshow?
    Hey, that wasn't a shit gameshow!!
    (OK, yes, of course it was)

normula1 said:
    A Rick Nielson tribute?
    How mad do you think I am, exactly??
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 18276
    3 necks
    2 pickups
    1 idiot maker
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    3 necks
    2 pickups
    1 idiot maker
    Oooooo - close!
    edited December 2017
    (no, not really - although you're 1/3rd right)
  • A dustbin cajon?
    I may feel slightly sad, but I won't cry
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TTony said:

Meantime, guesses are welcome ...
    1) Live long and prosper. 

2) The shocker. 
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 13069
    Hmmmn ... some old guy fingering and a bin character that attracts children ....

You're making a Jimmy Saville tribute guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Or, going by the photo it's a bright blue bound body with a bin shaped headstock and a massive round red knob on it..
    axisus said:
    Hmmmn ... some old guy fingering and a bin character that attracts children ....

Ahhhh - we lived in such innocent times.

What happened?
    :(
    TTony said:
    axisus said:

Ahhhh - we lived in such innocent times.

What happened?
    :(
    Operation Yewtree
    Or, going by the photo it's a bright blue bound body with a bin shaped headstock and a massive round red knob playing it..
    Now, that was uncalled for.
    TTony said:
    Or, going by the photo it's a bright blue bound body with a bin shaped headstock and a massive round red knob playing it..
    Now, that was uncalled for.
    I don't need an invite you know ;)
    TTony said:
    3 necks
    2 pickups
    1 idiot maker
    Oooooo - close!
    OK, the morning dawns, and after a sanity check, I've decided to go for it.

@Bridgehouse was actually closer than he realised, in that all of his guesses were - individually - correct.  Although not in total.

Dusty Bin was a reference back to 3-2-1.

Firstly,
    a   3 pickup   Strat-ish thing;

I've had a set of @TheGuitarWeasel ; 5th Anniversary p'ups tucked away for a little while.  And now's time to use them.

Korina body, Walnut top (to which I'll apply the @WezV wet sanding technique).  Expect no scratchplate, and no 5-way neither.  And just look at that neck.  Thanks to @GSPBasses (the neck has been tucked away for a while too).

I've not actually got a Strat in my collection, so this one will fill a gap.

Secondly, 
    a 2 pickup DC-ish thing

Some more Korina, with a 3-part Mahogany neck (guess who made it) with a rather nice fretboard.  I think I'll leave it that simple, with no cap and a simple stain finish (colour tbd).  P'ups are a set of Hot Rod P90s, which I've also had "tucked away" for a while.

Should turn out to be a simple, raw, rocky beast.

I do have a few similar guitars, but surely you can't have too many twin P90 DCs?

Thirdly. 
    A 1 pickup monster to complete my set (see a following post).

That's an Ash body, and - yes - it's a Rosewood neck under the R/w fingerboard  :D 

Pickup is a bridge position US Gibson Nighthawk.  I've got an original 90's US Nighthawk, and the main reason that I've still got  it is that pickup  unit.

That's the 3-2-1.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 501
    You've obviously got too much spare time. Any chance you could send me some of it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited December 2017
    TTony said:

Thirdly. 
    A 1 pickup monster to complete my set (see a following post).

and #2

The p'up in #2 is now a P90, so the 3-2-1 build will complete the set of single P-Up guitars, seeing as I've got single coil, P90, and the 3-2-1 build will use a HB.

[edit]
    Those first 2 are both Ash bodies too.  I like to keep things neat and well ordered.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    m_c said:
    You've obviously got too much spare time. Any chance you could send me some of it?
    Taking a work break @m_c - my only challenge will be getting to spend the time in the workshop rather than on the house or garden!

Got to work out which ones need scratchplates now ...
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 501
    TTony said:

;)
    I hear plastic is really easy to work with.. ;)
    m_c said:
    TTony said:

;)
    I hear plastic is really easy to work with.. ;)
    Aluminium or GTFO ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 15058
    GTFO is really hard to machine. It either splints or melts.
    Every year, I grow half as pretty, and twice as drunk. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Thought I'd start with #3.
    • body shape "refined" (it was rough cut to a vaguely-Tele shape previously)
    • round overs front & back (and then sand out all the burns - after this photo)
    • marked centre line and then all the other positions 
    • cut the neck pocket (also after this photo)
    Tomorrow
    • belly carve (which'll take a while given how big it needs to be)
    • finish the neck pocket to the correct depth
    • rout out the control cavity
    • triple check all the measurements, particularly the scale length, and neck alignment in the pocket
    • make a template for the pickup cavity and route that out too
    • do some more sanding

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 911
    edited January 2018
    Don't know how I missed this, fantastic project @TTony - I absolutely love the fretboard you have for that DC project, What stain are you going to do the Korina body in? Reds always a winner for a DC!

I love DC's!! here's one I did from a cheapo kit last year. Complete with terrible sanding mess up i decided to pass off as a relicing effect ;)

eSully said:
    I love DC's!! here's one I did from a cheapo kit last year. Complete with terrible sanding mess up i decided to pass off as a relicing effect ;)

If the rest of the guitar is worth it, strip off the old finish and re-do it @eSully?  Else, you'll know how you did it wrong, but you'll not know that you could do it right ...
    ;)

Not sure what colours I'm doing any of them yet.  I might do the DC in Amber?  Don't know.

TTony said:

Tomorrow
    • belly carve (which'll take a while given how big it needs to be)
    • finish the neck pocket to the correct depth
    • rout out the control cavity
    • triple check all the measurements, particularly the scale length, and neck alignment in the pocket
    • make a template for the pickup cavity and route that out too
    • do some more sanding
    Just finished a couple of workshop hours, and got all of that done, apart from routing out the control cavity.  Mainly because I couldn't find a template that I'm sure I've got somewhere and didn't want to make another one.

Did a bit of cut away on the rear of the heel too, so a standard oblong neck plate won't fit on this one.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 911
    @TTony said:
    If the rest of the guitar is worth it, strip off the old finish and re-do it @eSully?  Else, you'll know how you did it wrong, but you'll not know that you could do it right ...

Not sure what colours I'm doing any of them yet.  I might do the DC in Amber?  Don't know.
    Nah, I've grown quiet fond of it plus that sounds like far too much work right now seeing as I appear to have another project to work on atm ;)

Amber sounds great, Looking forward to seeing it!
    Got the heavy drilling & routing work finished on #1.  

Yes, I realise that the pickup cavity looks odd, but that's *really* where the pickup legs go!

The  third hole in the top is for the ground connection from the underside of the bridge.  In a piece of precision drilling, that hole meets a horizontal hole drilled from the bridge-side of the p'up cavity,

Next will be several days of sanding, during which I can think about finishing options.    I might just try some white-tinted oil.

But before I clear all the bits of ash off the workshop floor, I thought I'd make some Korina mess by starting on #2.  

Just a quick bit of marking out so far, I want to triple check things like neck angles before I start cutting anything.  
    :)

• RabsRabs Frets: 1720
    tFB Trader
    Good stuff... Glad you are getting back in to the swing of things...  :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 2615
    I do like the rounded neck joint on #1.