C18Q1. TTony goes mad.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27468
    I'm trying to keep this thread alive with updates, even if the updates don't show stunning progress!

Today, body trimmed to shape (some final sanding to do), removed some weight and sanded the top ready for the cap to be fitted.

I might add some more  weight relief once I've done the belly carve - just so that I don't go too deep with the cavities.

Cap ready and waiting ...

Tomorrow, given time, I'll sort out the neck pocket, rout the p'up cavities, decide what I'm doing for controls and rout the cavities for those.

I have a vague design idea for "f" holes in the top too, but I'll see how that goes before I share any more of my thinking!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking good!
    I was having a bit of a nothing-going-right day sat at my desk, so I thought I'd head out to the workshop to do some theraputic guitar buildery instead.

I really should have known better.
    :(

First job -  extend the internal weight relieving cavities, such that my "f" hole design might work.
    Done.

Second job - cut the neck pocket so that I can get the bridge line marked out, and then the p'up positions and cavities, etc.

Third job - get the cap glued on.

But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself ... template slipped when I was routering the neck pocket, with the cutter taking a nice excursion into the bass side of the body.

Bugger.

Thought 1 - cut it out nice and straight, cut a block of Ash and glue it in place.  Won't be seen under the cap. 

Thought 2 - just thickness the body some more (which'll help the weight too) and then re-cut the neck pocket.

Out with the thicknessing job ... and let's make a lot - LOT - of sawdust ...

Takes off 1mm-2mm each pass, slowly, slowly.  

Half way through the last pass;

So now the body is 8mm thinner, and a fair bit lighter.
    :)

Then the neck pocket cut, bridge line marked, pickup cavities cut ... but no photo and that's the end for today (no end of day photo!).

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I have days like that.

Months, even.

May I suggest a tasty beverage of your choice... and step away from the tools.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    This is why I haven't bought myself a router. That would be me every time. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

Yup... Has happened to me too.....

It happens, we are only human  :)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    If you make one mistake take a tea break. Two mistakes means you need a beer.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Sesh said:
    This is why I haven't bought myself a router. That would be me every time. 
    Whilst it's easy to make a complete c0ck up with a router, it's also easy to get it right as long as you're sufficiently careful.  It was entirely my mistake in not making sure that the template was properly stuck down at not going anywhere.

A 5 second lapse cost me a good hour of making it right again.  And another 20mins of clearing up all the sawdust that I made whilst making it right.

One last task before (GF) beer - I wanted to do a quick stock check to see what bits I could find in my drawers and cupboards, and what I'd need to order to be able to finish them.

Which gave me an excuse to get them all out and refresh my memory of what was going in each.  I really should do a build / spec list, and parts list when I start each build, but I'm not that organised ...

Here they are ...

Turns out that I need 3 nuts, a single 250k pot, and curved silver jack plate.

And a suitable solution for the jack plate on the left hand one (because it's too slim with the round overs on the front & back for a normal sized jack plate).

I managed to find everything else!

Electrosocket? Would that work?
    edited February 2018
    Sesh said:
    Electrosocket? Would that work?
    It would do - but I think I'm either going to use a rugby ball plate, or just recess a standard square plate into the rounded over edges of the body.

(I don't find Electrosockets easy to fit).
    Metal strip, curved to the body profile, and then drilled for jack and screws holes. You could even inset it using a v-e-r-y carefully held router.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16670
    A barrel jack, just buy 2 and keep a spare.

router slips must be the most common error there is.  Check and double check 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, that's me a failure.

Done nothing since my last photo post on  21 Feb
    :(

Combination of recovery from the bone graft op, it being fecking freezing here for a week, and then having to work-work the last 3 weeks to get something delivered to one of those immovable deadline thingys.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

The C18Q2 challenge is going to be "finish something you've started (but not finished))".
    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    TTony said:

The C18Q2 challenge is going to be "finish something you've started (but not finished))".
    D
    Thank fuck for that! ( You won't be the only one.)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26986
    Sesh said:
    TTony said:

D
    Thank fuck for that! ( You won't be the only one.)
    Yeah.... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Although these might not technically be Q"1" guitars, I will get them finished sooner or later. 

Later.

Currently trying to get all the messy work done on each of them so that I can then clean the workshop up before starting on the finishing of each of them.

This one is the third of the three.  The others are more or less ready for finishing - apart from some fine sanding and tidying.  There's still a bit more to do on this one, but maybe I'll get some more time this weekend ...

The pickup rings will sit flush in the body.  And none of that horrible plastic scratchplate nonsense.

This one is having a @WezV style wetsanded oil finish.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    TTony said:
    Although these might not technically be Q"1" guitars, I will get them finished sooner or later. 

Later.

Currently trying to get all the messy work done on each of them so that I can then clean the workshop up before starting on the finishing of each of them.

This one is the third of the three.  The others are more or less ready for finishing - apart from some fine sanding and tidying.  There's still a bit more to do on this one, but maybe I'll get some more time this weekend ...

The pickup rings will sit flush in the body.  And none of that horrible plastic scratchplate nonsense.

This one is having a @WezV style wetsanded oil finish.

That looks REALLY classy, @TTony ;    Lovely job :)
    I like those pickup rings, particularly since they’re inset. What are the body woods?
    Roland said:
     What are the body woods?
    Walnut over Ash.

with a Graham flamed maple neck.
    TTony said:
     but maybe I'll get some more time this weekend ...

I did!!

Here's the Wally Strat with a couple of coats of wet sanded oil ...

The slot is for a StewMac Megaswitch, which will give me;

Bridge
    Bridge +Middle (hum cancelling)
    Middle
    Middle + Neck (hum cancelling)
    Neck

And on twin P90 LPs, the neck has finally been committed to the body ...

My plan is to carve the heel into the neck so that it's  a less blocky transition, and an inspired-by-Feline sort of style
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom