C18Q1 - Nuno Gilmour

What's Hot

Comments

• @digitalscream ;
    Its a prototype, straight from the USA custom shop, the only SSS NX6 ever made :) Body is solid flamed maple!

It started life as bare maple, previous owner painted it (with a brush, without removing any hardware...) so i stripped it back but couldn't get it bare again, so stained the whole lot black.

came with the Lace Sensors as stock too!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's bloody awesome. And a pox on the previous owner... ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Picking it all up tomorrow...unfortunately, Crimson are running behind on their orders from Christmas, so the stain won't be here until at least the middle of the week.

That being the case, I'll probably do some work on the single-pickup mango/zebra one. That means I'm gonna have to find a humbucker from somewhere...
    <space for hire>
  • They're here...

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    this has my interest.

who id your bodies/necks ?
  • darcym said:
    this has my interest.

who id your bodies/necks ?
    Do you mean "Who did your bodies/necks"?

If so...it's a guy called Steve Walker I found in the Facebook N4 group.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I did mean "did" typo, Steve Walker, he did one of mine I think, along with the guy in Swindon, I can't remember his name, they look good.
  • darcym said:
    I did mean "did" typo, Steve Walker, he did one of mine I think, along with the guy in Swindon, I can't remember his name, they look good.
    Yeah, Steve's near Stafford. Top bloke - spent a couple of hours there just chatting. I'll admit, a (very small) part of that was me looking forward to the drive home... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Update: I'm cursed. Not only is my Crimson order (with the stain and finishing oil) significantly delayed, but the pickup I ordered for the single-HB guitar (Iron Gear Dirty Torque in nickel-finish) won't be shipped until next week.

Argh.
    <space for hire>
  • Update: I'm cursed. Not only is my Crimson order (with the stain and finishing oil) significantly delayed, but the pickup I ordered for the single-HB guitar (Iron Gear Dirty Torque in nickel-finish) won't be shipped until next week.

Argh.

Not sure how cursed you actually are, but I got the stain @WezV recommended.  Think it is this stuff, though they were out of stock of the colour I needed so I ordered from elsewhere.  http://www.axminster.co.uk/chestnut-spirit-wood-stain-ax21822

It's not actually been used yet, though hopefully will get done next week.  

Going with Rustins plastic coating for the finish.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    edited January 2018
    Cock.

Forgot that I'd need nut files.

Fortunately (hah!), Crimson hadn't shipped my stain order out yet, so they let me add them to the order with no extra shipping.

Also discovered that the long-barrel jack socket I ordered for the main guitar doesn't fit (it's routed for a normal jack + plate), so I've got to go hunting around for one of those now, I'm sure I've got one somewhere. Happily, the long-barrel jack fits the single-pickup guitar perfectly, so nothing's gone to waste just yet...
    <space for hire>
    edited January 2018
    Right then, a bit of progress...this lot arrived yesterday:

I figured I couldn't put it off any longer, so I moved a knackered table from the garden to our (now) spare room upstairs, went hunting for all the other stuff I'd bought for the job and...

An hour of sanding and staining later...

Yeah, looking pretty okay there. On with the rest of it...no intermediate photos, but here's the result this morning after leaving it to dry overnight:

I'm loving that lumpy-grain look - it's a slight change of plan, but I got half way through the raise-the-grain-and-knock-it-down process and decided I'd rather it stood up a little, just like it does on my green N4.

The only slight annoyance is that the glue line up the centre is visible at the right (wrong?) angle, but I can live with that.

Oil next...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, and yes - I fucked up the first attempt at drilling the earth wire channel for the bridge (got the angle wrong, it would've come out the back of the body). It's OK, though, 'cos nobody'll ever see it...except here, of course ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Oh, and yes - I fucked up the first attempt at drilling the earth wire channel for the bridge (got the angle wrong, it would've come out the back of the body). It's OK, though, 'cos nobody'll ever see it...except here, of course ;)
    Weight saving of about 5 grams though. Bonus.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Weight saving of about 5 grams though. Bonus.
    Hadn't thought of that!

Neck before oil:

After a couple of coats of finishing oil:

Difficult to photograph, but the oil *really* pops nicely. That's likely as far as I'll go with it, though; don't want it looking too posh relative to the body.
    <space for hire>
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited January 2018
    Not wishing to preach to the converted but, with the Crimson finishing oil,make sure you apply,  then buff as much as you can off again......otherwise, if it is too thick it stays sticky for months, It sounds counter intuitive, but it works.....I ended up stripping it all back off my LPJ....which was nice and not a pain at all!....
    Oh and that black stain looks great!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    They're here...

If you ever want to get shot of the rw necked Floyd one, I’d be interested :)
    edited January 2018
    paulnb57 said:
    Not wishing to preach to the converted but, with the Crimson finishing oil,make sure you apply,  then buff as much as you can off again......otherwise, if it is too thick it stays sticky for months, It sounds counter intuitive, but it works.....I ended up stripping it all back off my LPJ....which was nice and not a pain at all!....
    Yup - thanks for the reminder : I've been looking around and lots of people say the same thing.

poopot said:
    They're here...

If you ever want to get shot of the rw necked Floyd one, I’d be interested
    You mean the middle one? That's the only one I don't need, so yes

EDIT: And it's not a rosewood fretboard, by the way - it's ebony.

£160 plus shipping (or we can meet up somewhere) seems like a fair price, bearing in mind how much I paid (and, as noted, £60 of that will be going to the local rescue we got Coco from - sorry @Bridgehouse ;;).
    <space for hire>
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    paulnb57 said:
    Yup - thanks for the reminder : I've been looking around and lots of people say the same thing.

poopot said:
    They're here...

If you ever want to get shot of the rw necked Floyd one, I’d be interested
    You mean the middle one? That's the only one I don't need, so yes

EDIT: And it's not a rosewood fretboard, by the way - it's ebony.

£160 plus shipping (or we can meet up somewhere) seems like a fair price, bearing in mind how much I paid (and, as noted, £60 of that will be going to the local rescue we got Coco from - sorry @Bridgehouse ;;).
    Pm sent
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @digitalscream - which rescue did you use? We probably have them as a partner anyway for sending dogs to when they are ready for rehoming