C18Q1 - Nuno Gilmour

What's Hot

Comments

• @digitalscream - which rescue did you use? We probably have them as a partner anyway for sending dogs to when they are ready for rehoming
    These guys, based in Wansford:

http://www.homes4dogs.co.uk/
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @digitalscream - which rescue did you use? We probably have them as a partner anyway for sending dogs to when they are ready for rehoming
    These guys, based in Wansford:

http://www.homes4dogs.co.uk/
    Ah yes Animal Helpline - we have homed a few dogs there. Good Stuff.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    edited January 2018
    Holy fuckadoodle...just put the first coat(s) of oil on the body...hot damn, does it look good now!

Gonna hold off on photos until I've at least put another coat or two on there, which will probably take me to the end of the day.

When that's done...need to file down the fret ends, and possibly put a tiny bit of radius on the edges of the fretboard.

Probably time to start thinking about the circuit, too - the middle pickup will be on/off on the push/pull, while the other two will be wired to the three-way switch as you'd expect in a two-pickup guitar. Might wait until the jack plate arrives for that, though...no sense getting it all wired up and then waiting for days until I can test it properly.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dried a bit now...

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    That wood grain looks great!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:
    That wood grain looks great!
    Aye, doesn't it? I was originally on the fence as to whether I'd like this finish - I wanted to make it just because I figured it'd be a cool aesthetic, but now I can see myself being proud of gigging it.

Assuming, of course, that it plays well and sounds good once I've got the finished product in my hands.
    <space for hire>
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Great grain. What with this and other builds with lots of grain I wish I could have grain showing on my refurb. But mine is basswood with holes to be filled. It will need a solid colour to hide the horrors. Next time, grainy wood.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    @Sesh Swamp Ash works really well..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Fuck!

Those finger marks are where I was handling it while oiling. I was wearing latex gloves (I'd washed and dried them every time to get rid of the nasty white powder that coats the damn things), and this is after it'd dried overnight and had another coat of oil.

Any idea on what to do to get rid of them?????
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thats a shame! I dont think all is lost though....no experiecne of this, but I think I would get something like 1k wet n dry and try and sand them out using the Crimson oil as lube.

If they end up permanent and you have to start over, the oil is rermovable with paint stripper, very easily, a Royal, messy, pain in the ass, but its saveable.....

When my LPJ stayed sticky I stripped it off, then another coat of stain and used satin wipe on poly.....I'm not a fan of the oil....it's a similar process to the oil, (no spraying and can be done indoors) but more reliable for me...

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, @paulnb57 - having spoken to Jaden about it, he reckons the safest move is to sand back using 400-600, reapply some stain where the colour's faded or the wood's showing, then stain again and start the oiling process again...being more careful this time - front and back separately.

Time to cut up some more t-shirts, I feel.

The annoyance is that the finish is looking bloody awesome, apart from the damn finger marks :(
    <space for hire>
    edited January 2018
    Nothing to lose by a gentle rub over first then, biggest issue sanding it all off is that the still sticky oil will clog the paper big time.....

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

My gut feeling would be to go with Pauls' suggestion. Using some high-grit wet-n-dry or super-fine wire wool and oil as lubricant will most likely clear up the fingermarks. And if it doesn't then you are no worse off. Unless you are experienced, my understanding is that getting stains to match up perfectly as a repair is not easy. You could also try a light scuffing with a fine abrasive pad as you would do to de-nib. Then follow up with a couple more oil coats.

Either way, good luck.

Adam

edited January 2018
    My thinking is, the oil is probably still tacky, so rubbing over with fine grit using oil as lube might just disolve the oil/fingermarks enough to blend them in, go gentle enough and prob wont go through to the stain..........could be utter bollocks, but nothing to lose trying....

• Yeah, that didn't work. Back I go...
    <space for hire>
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Yeah, that didn't work. Back I go...
    Try a bit of 0000 wire wool...
    Bummer! It will be worth it once it is done....

• paulnb57 said:
    Bummer! It will be worth it once it is done....
    Yeah...and I've still got a few days of slack before my self-imposed deadline, so it's all good. Learnin' on the job :)
    <space for hire>
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Kalimna said:

My gut feeling would be to go with Pauls' suggestion. Using some high-grit wet-n-dry or super-fine wire wool and oil as lubricant will most likely clear up the fingermarks. And if it doesn't then you are no worse off. Unless you are experienced, my understanding is that getting stains to match up perfectly as a repair is not easy. You could also try a light scuffing with a fine abrasive pad as you would do to de-nib. Then follow up with a couple more oil coats.

Either way, good luck.

Adam

my worry would be lifting the stain by wet sanding with oil, ad stopping further stain penetration by sanding oil further into the wood
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Hmmm. I had not thought of that. Perhaps making up a little test piece before an attempt on the body would be the thing to do here to find out if that is an issue?

A little light scuffing shouldn't lift the stain though, should it? Heavy sanding, more likely.

Adam