C18Q1 - Nuno Gilmour

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    edited January 2018
    OK...definitely sounds like the safest option is where I've gone with it - sanding back, re-staining (which seems to be working well) and then oiling.

Except this time, I'll do the front on its own and then the back on its own, instead of trying to rush it and do everything at once.

Going through an awful lot of latex gloves. I also just noticed...there are 75 in this pack. Surely an even number would be more sensible?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

Going through an awful lot of latex gloves. I also just noticed...there are 75 in this pack. Surely an even number would be more sensible?
    Are they medical grade? Cos you only shove one finger up a bum so singles make more sense.. ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Going through an awful lot of latex gloves. I also just noticed...there are 75 in this pack. Surely an even number would be more sensible?
    Are they medical grade? Cos you only shove one finger up a bum so singles make more sense.. ;)
    They're from Poundstretcher. If my doctor's getting them from there, I think it's time to change...
    <space for hire>

They're from Poundstretcher. If my doctor's getting them from there, I think it's time to change...
    In that case, maybe one is a spare ;)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    nitrile gloves is the way, no powder ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    WezV said:
    Kalimna said:

My gut feeling would be to go with Pauls' suggestion. Using some high-grit wet-n-dry or super-fine wire wool and oil as lubricant will most likely clear up the fingermarks. And if it doesn't then you are no worse off. Unless you are experienced, my understanding is that getting stains to match up perfectly as a repair is not easy. You could also try a light scuffing with a fine abrasive pad as you would do to de-nib. Then follow up with a couple more oil coats.

Either way, good luck.

Adam

my worry would be lifting the stain by wet sanding with oil, ad stopping further stain penetration by sanding oil further into the wood
    ^^

That's what happened to me, on that bass that I posted a pic of earlier.

I found I then had to sand back far enough to get the  stain more or less even across the body, and then re-stain and re-oil.  Once the colour has gone blotchy, trying to match it in with new coats of stain is - in my experience - just about impossible!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Its a pain.....I once stained a Guitarbuild Swamp Ash body red, seemed like a great idea at the time, except ot was pink, the more I applied, the more pink it got, worse than Barbie pink, it sulked in the shed for ages, until I thought I"d prime and spray it and the red (pink) bled through the primer, my how I laughed......its Halfords Satin Black now......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Goddamn...it's like these fingerprints are embedded all the way through the wood!!!!!!

Seriously, I've even gone as far as taking it past the finish and the stain, and they're still there. If I have to go any further, I'm going to have no bloody guitar left.
    <space for hire>
  • Your other option is to put fingerprints everywhere and act like it's intentional.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Your other option is to put fingerprints everywhere and act like it's intentional.
    Both wise and spectacularly unhelpful at the same time :D
    <space for hire>
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    The finger prints are damn shame. It was looking great. Hope you get it sorted. I'm sure it will look great.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Goddamn...it's like these fingerprints are embedded all the way through the wood!!!!!!

Seriously, I've even gone as far as taking it past the finish and the stain, and they're still there. If I have to go any further, I'm going to have no bloody guitar left.
    Er, you sure it isn't grain that looks like fingerprints??
  • Goddamn...it's like these fingerprints are embedded all the way through the wood!!!!!!

Er, you sure it isn't grain that looks like fingerprints??
    Pretty sure, it'd be impossible to get that with random grain.

I think I might just live with it, to be honest, and maybe do a better job on the next one.
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    edited January 2018
    Decided that going down the reallyreallyglossy route would be best, thus hiding the fingerprints...

Taking my time with it - top's done, coat #1 of 10 or so done on the sides. Back should be done by the end of Friday, then it's on to assembly and cutting the nut. There are a couple of not-quite-fully-stained bits on the top, but they're mostly in places where it just looks like a bit of wear, which is acceptable for my first go I think. I only really noticed them once I'd got half way through the oiling process, and frankly I'm not interested in sanding it all down for a third time.

I've already given the frets a bit of smoothing down the sides and tried to take the pointy bits off...still feels more noticeable than I'd like, but I don't currently have a file capable of rounding the ends without destroying the fretboard. Might sacrifice one of the triangle files I've got later in the week, depending on how brave I'm feeling.
    <space for hire>
  • If you hang it by the neck pocket you can do all sides at once to a) speed it up and b) get consistent coverage

• If you hang it by the neck pocket you can do all sides at once to a) speed it up and b) get consistent coverage

I did consider that, but I figure I actually don't want the sides and back to be quite as glossy as the front. Plus, making something to hang it from would probably take longer than the time saving ;)

It's OK, I've done the sides and I'm working on the back now. Should easily be in a position to start on the assembly by the weekend, which is where I was aiming to be.
    <space for hire>
    Looking good!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• The flash doesn't help, but while I messed up in a few small places, I don't think it's looking terrible for my first attempt at a posh finish :) 
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I would give that a rub down with 0000 liberon wire wool and briwax... then a buff with a microfibre cloth.  It will de-nib, even it out and give a nice satin sheen.   slight risk of going through the black if you over do it, but it wouldn't take much toget it looking propernice
    Looks pukka, that! As said a gentle rub back and a touch of wax could make it look even better.....