Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Solved: I Needed something that Fuzzes, but Isn't a Regular Fuzz Circuit?

What's Hot

Comments

• CarewCarew Frets: 9
    edited January 2018
    1. There's no such thing as a "regular fuzz circuit"

2.  Not all fuzz pedals are built equally when it comes to impedence issues (such as caused by a buffer or a wireless box).

The Suhr Refus you have is designed to play well with buffers etc, so I don't know why you are having  problem.

The Katzenonig is a Tonebender/Rat hybrid circuit.   It has a pre gain control which may help it play better with impedence issues.

+1 on Magnetic Effects' fuzz pedals.  That are designed to play well with anything.   Check out the White Atom.

pedal fiend
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It was a case of not having heard of the problem until it happened @ICBM ;
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    ThorpyFX said:

Because there is nothing like the interaction you get with a fuzzface or a tonebender, some people have become tonebender aficionados. Like a fine wine, a good tonebender or fuzzface is a  thing to behold, and in many ways, you need them to truly nail classic sixties music. 
    I must admit I’ve always found them too limited - only one usable setting (both knobs up full), not enough volume for a live mix (guitar disappears when you turn it on), backing off the guitar stops the fuzz almost immediately, they have problems with a wah in front... they do sound great if you want that exact sound, but the issues outweigh that for me.

A friend of mine had an original Mk 1.5 Tonebender, which did sound really great - slightly fatter and rounder than a clone kit I built for him, with the volume drop fixed - but in the end it was worth so much relative to its usefulness that he sold it and bought a Soldano SLO with the money!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I certainly don't have a problem with being heard in the mix with my fuzz. In fact I get complaints that I can be heard too much lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • What about the Caroline Shigeharu Fuzz. Got one of these being delivered tomorrow hopefully.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    ThorpyFX said:

Because there is nothing like the interaction you get with a fuzzface or a tonebender, some people have become tonebender aficionados. Like a fine wine, a good tonebender or fuzzface is a  thing to behold, and in many ways, you need them to truly nail classic sixties music. 
    I must admit I’ve always found them too limited - only one usable setting (both knobs up full), not enough volume for a live mix (guitar disappears when you turn it on), backing off the guitar stops the fuzz almost immediately, they have problems with a wah in front... they do sound great if you want that exact sound, but the issues outweigh that for me.

A friend of mine had an original Mk 1.5 Tonebender, which did sound really great - slightly fatter and rounder than a clone kit I built for him, with the volume drop fixed - but in the end it was worth so much relative to its usefulness that he sold it and bought a Soldano SLO with the money!
    Yeah, I would have done that too. Love the SLO sound! 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Thanks for the additional information everyone.

@ThorpyFX I tried the Cable Tone settings on the Smooth Hound and it's made no difference. Such a shame as I like the pedal, but it'll have to go as I'll never use it once it's off the board. I will have to take my wireless to a store and try out some more pedals. Shame my local store is Richtone as they don't get as many brands as Andertons or G.G etc.

@Carew I don't know what the issue is, the pedal is fine and the Wireless is fine. I've had lots of comms at different times over the last 2 years with people on here and with Chris who makes the wireless units and it is just an incompatibility, been over it to death and it's exhausted me.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the additional information everyone.

@ThorpyFX I tried the Cable Tone settings on the Smooth Hound and it's made no difference. Such a shame as I like the pedal, but it'll have to go as I'll never use it once it's off the board. I will have to take my wireless to a store and try out some more pedals. Shame my local store is Richtone as they don't get as many brands as Andertons or G.G etc.

@Carew I don't know what the issue is, the pedal is fine and the Wireless is fine. I've had lots of comms at different times over the last 2 years with people on here and with Chris who makes the wireless units and it is just an incompatibility, been over it to death and it's exhausted me.
    Right I’m sorry that didn’t work, I’m going to do the salesman thing now (please forgive me) the fallout cloud will work with this wireless this would be my top recommendation. Also the warthog set at extreme calibre and gain, gives a great fuzztone and will work with the wireless. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Dayum you @ThorpyFX ;

:)

No need to apologise though. That Fallout Cloud is utter heaven for what I want that sort of sound to work for. If that is guaranteed to work with the wireless, I'm all over it. I'd have to flog the Rufus though as funds are limited at the moment.

Lovely sounding pedal, all the more agonising as Mike Hermans was doing the demo and that sod can make a Biscuit Tin with a Rubber Band wrapped around sound amazing ;)
    tFB Trader
    Dayum you @ThorpyFX ;

:)

No need to apologise though. That Fallout Cloud is utter heaven for what I want that sort of sound to work for. If that is guaranteed to work with the wireless, I'm all over it. I'd have to flog the Rufus though as funds are limited at the moment.

Lovely sounding pedal, all the more agonising as Mike Hermans was doing the demo and that sod can make a Biscuit Tin with a Rubber Band wrapped around sound amazing ;)
    Yeah he’s a great talent, and a fantastic demo guy too. I’ll pass on your compliments to him!! 
  • Thanks @ThorpyFX ;

Mike's demos are right up there as my favourites, his technique is staggering. The way he incorporates chromatic runs is almost finger boggling.

Looks like I'll be putting the Rufus in the classifieds soon. The Fallout looks pretty versatile, can it get somewhere in the Rufus ballpark? It seemed to in the demo, but it's hard to tell ultimately. I do rate it's own sound highly though.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @ThorpyFX ;

Mike's demos are right up there as my favourites, his technique is staggering. The way he incorporates chromatic runs is almost finger boggling.

Looks like I'll be putting the Rufus in the classifieds soon. The Fallout looks pretty versatile, can it get somewhere in the Rufus ballpark? It seemed to in the demo, but it's hard to tell ultimately. I do rate it's own sound highly though.
    Close certainly, some settings of the Rufus are more overdrive than fuzz to my ears, in that case just role the sustain knob on the fallout back. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Another option would be the zoom ultra fuzz. It's incredibly versatile and can morph between a raspy, 60s style (think rolling stones) fuzz and a more "modern" muff-ish fuzz. It's really fantastic - without a buffer in front it will do oscillations and mad noises, but with one it doesn't suffer tonally. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Did someone say Mike Hermans?!

He's awesome!
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @ThorpyFX ;

Here you go buddy, btw he liked your compliment! 

https://youtu.be/Dh3pkTycgPs
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27570
    Another option would be the zoom ultra fuzz. It's incredibly versatile and can morph between a raspy, 60s style (think rolling stones) fuzz and a more "modern" muff-ish fuzz. It's really fantastic - without a buffer in front it will do oscillations and mad noises, but with one it doesn't suffer tonally. 
    I was going to suggest the Ultra Fuzz. Marvels bit of kit; does all the Fuzz Factory stuff but in a much more predictable manner. And more.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Another option would be the zoom ultra fuzz. It's incredibly versatile and can morph between a raspy, 60s style (think rolling stones) fuzz and a more "modern" muff-ish fuzz. It's really fantastic - without a buffer in front it will do oscillations and mad noises, but with one it doesn't suffer tonally. 
    I was going to suggest the Ultra Fuzz. Marvels bit of kit; does all the Fuzz Factory stuff but in a much more predictable manner. And more.
    They're quite hard to come by though - I finally got one a few months ago after looking for a very long time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited January 2018
    ICBM said:

They're quite hard to come by though - I finally got one a few months ago after looking for a very long time.
    You can't have looked that hard - I've had a full set of the Zoom analogue pedals on sale here for over two years.
    Sporky said:

You can't have looked that hard - I've had a full set of the Zoom analogue pedals on sale here for over two years.
    It has to be said that the search engine on here is shit! And I still can't find it even knowing that you are...