What colour Strats are the easiest, and the hardest, to sell?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 3079
edited March 2014 in Guitar
reckon sunburst, red and black at the easier end, and pink, yellow and 'Sherwood green metallic' at the other.

(NB: this question is not to be confused with - what colour Strat do you personally like best?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 28182
    Sonic blue and Lacke Placid blue sell quickly.
    http://uptheoctave.com
    Audio Production Reviews and Technique.
    Latest article for Production Expert: Mixing with guitar pedals. https://bit.ly/3hCtIHF
    Latest article for Pro Tools Expert: Why I bought an Avid MTRX. https://bit.ly/30HGqPv
    Click here for all my articles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 252
    I think white sells quite quick too. Though strats don't really seem to be that hard to sell really. 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4211
    I haven't had many Strats to sell, but paisley always seemed to go down quite well ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3863
    I'd have thought Sherwood would've shifted quite nicely as it's a reasonably uncommon colour?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 4446
    edited March 2014
    Fanny pink and turd brown are hard to shift I reckon.
    How much does it weigh? & Does it play like butter?

You can now read my insane guitar ramblings daily here http://www.gearnews.com

https://www.stonevibeapparel.com/
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 3079
    edited March 2014

jd0272 said:
    I'd have thought Sherwood would've shifted quite nicely as it's a reasonably uncommon colour?

But isn't that the whole point about 'rare' colours - the reason they're rare is because Fender don't make many because they know not many people want that colour, and the same applies when those guitars come up on the second hand market. There was a Sherwood Strat on here a while ago that wouldn't shift, and I think that if you have an unpopular colour then that will be reflected in the second hand value, unless you're lucky and find a punter desperate for the Robin Hood look...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 24288
    edited March 2014
    Easiest:

Any custom colour from the original dupont range or 2 tone with maple, or 3 tone with either maple or rosewood.

Hardest:

Anything NOT in the above catagories. Peeps like their strats vintage IMO.

Donald Trump has spoken movingly about 7-Eleven. It reminded him, he said, of the way Americans came together in 1941 after Pearl Necklace.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 4446
    I would say its more people want more for a rarer colour and that puts buyers off. The guitar itself is no better than say a white one.
    How much does it weigh? & Does it play like butter?

You can now read my insane guitar ramblings daily here http://www.gearnews.com

https://www.stonevibeapparel.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3863

jd0272 said:

But isn't that the whole point about 'rare' colours - the reason they're rare is because Fender don't make many because they know not many people want that colour, and the same applies when those guitars come up on the second hand market. There was a Sherwood Strat on here a while ago that wouldn't shift, and I think that if you have an unpopular colour then that will be reflected in the second hand value, unless you're lucky and find a punter desperate for the Robin Hood look...

Possibly. Tho I don't recall Robin Hood playing a Fender. Mind you, I never met the bloke. ;) 

Probably a lot of it, as with any product, is the expectation of what the product will look like. More exposure of the 'usual' colours in media etc reinforces the connection to the product. Thus more comfortable with it in that colour. There was a LP booting around in a sea foam green somewhere of late, and in fairness it looked canny, but I wouldn't have touched it with a dead leper's cock.

I'm probably talking shite tho, it's been a long old day.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 6234
    edited March 2014
    Sunburst should be easy, white (Hendrix) and Red (Marvin/Knopfler) also. I think black is a bit boring for Strats, I bet there's hundreds of them around at any time.

I think you'd get a good price for a nice Shell Pink one, but you'd have to wait for the right buyer to find it. I think it's easy to make Custom colours like CAR look very desirable with a decent camera and good lighting (worked on me, I didn't even want a Strat!)
    edited March 2014
    I'm very funny about colours:

Les Pauls- Bursts.
    Custom LP's- Black
    Strats- as above
    Teles- maple neck blonde, rose neck 3 tone
    Jags/jazzs- Sunburts
    PRS's- sunburst or amber burst
    Suhrs/Andersons- Bursts, preferably bengal or copperhead.
    LP Junior range- TV Yellow or Cherry.

I wouldn't buy anything else. I'd never buy a green PRS or a blue Suhr.

Donald Trump has spoken movingly about 7-Eleven. It reminded him, he said, of the way Americans came together in 1941 after Pearl Necklace.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3416
    Gassage;184402" said:
    I'm very funny about colours:

Les Pauls- Bursts.

Custom LP's- Black

Strats- as above

Teles- maple neck blonde, rose neck 3 tone

Jags/jazzs- Sunburts

PRS's- sunburst or amber burst

Suhrs/Andersons- Bursts, preferably bengal or copperhead.

LP Junior range- TV Yellow or Cherry.

I wouldn't buy anything else. I'd never buy a green PRS or a blue Suhr.
    I'm the other way I won't buy anything finished in sunburst. Does make second hand surfing a bit more difficult as everyone else seems to love bursts.
    @Adam_MD

If we all liked the same it would be hugely boring!!!!

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3416
    @Gassage totally agree. You can keep your nasty bursts ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 509

jd0272 said:

about the only colour strat I would own if i'm honest...
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2748

Making a generalisation, sunbursts usually have the advantage of two piece bodies from choicer cuts of wood. A bit like Pedigree Alder, or IAMs Ash.

• WezVWezV Frets: 10516
    I have listed a burgundy mist strat body here a few times, its lovely, but no takers so far.   it also didn't get any interest when it was part of a complete guitar

its a colour a lot of people like, especially when a nice example is posted, but not a lot of people actually want to own themselves 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 1423
    I would have thought Sunburst and black would be the easiest to sell.

As some people may know from another thread, i have been thinking about buying shell pink strat. Part of me did think "hmm rare colour" and after a while it has grown on me. I've always like cream and off white strats, especially with tortoise shell pickguards.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 21395
    I reckon Strats are a bit like the Mini. It's hard to find a colour they don't look good in. I tend to agree with an earlier post that outside of black, white and sunburst, a vintage custom colour (Fiesta Red, Daphne Blue, etc) will probably shift more easily than (say) Graffiti Yellow. That said, I quite like Pewter Grey....
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 3079
    edited March 2014
    WezV said:
    I have listed a burgundy mist strat body here a few times, its lovely, but no takers so far.   it also didn't get any interest when it was part of a complete guitar

its a colour a lot of people like, especially when a nice example is posted, but not a lot of people actually want to own themselves 
    That makes me laugh when people say 'great colour' but wouldn't want to own one in that colour. That line of thinking is b0llocks IMHO.   :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 10516
    unfortunately it seems to work that way though

look at this:

or the one i offered up for sale, both as this guitar and just as the body alone,  quite different to the above and a deeper burgundy mist as well 

both get lots of likes and the colour seems to appeal to at least 25% of fender fans, but probably gets brought by less than 1%.  quite a lot just like a standard colour more, or realize a more standard one will be easier to move on, or lack the confidence to be a real man with a purpley pink guitar

• imaloneimalone Frets: 739
    WezV said:

That makes me laugh when people say 'great colour' but wouldn't want to own one in that colour. That line of thinking is b0llocks IMHO.   :)
    Not really, I quite like green as a colour but don't have many green clothes because they don't suit me.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 1423
    it reminds me of cars to a point. You get what's known as lifestyle colours. Usually the bright funky colours they show on adverts, yellows and lizard greens. They look great on the advert, but the vast majority of people don't really want to own a bright green car for the day to day.
    I happen to like that purple body though :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 2104
    The purple's just a bit too showy for a 'working' Strat, which I also think is true of shoreline gold and almost any any flame top on a Strat.

(And did Fender really do one in bright yellow? Must be so hideous I've blotted it out of my memory.)
    The last Jaffa Cake of the pack: 10% enjoyment, 90% guilt.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 4231
    edited March 2014
    I've not read the other responses, but rarity must be an issue. Colours like Graffiti Yellow and Razz Berry are quite rare I think, so collectors would snap them up.

I once found an interesting site on Strats, I don't know this guy, but it's worth a look.

You may have seen it already.

Edit again: Lots of Colours on there.
    "It's a big club, and you ain't in it"
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7740
    Candy Green is very easy to sell (to me) :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    You and your Greens @Bucket

;)
    You and your Greens @Bucket

;)
    I fucking love green guitars. Tell me this isn't sexy.

Apart from missing the big headstock and 22nd fret, visually that is my perfect Strat.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    @Bucket

I do like some Green guitars. Candy Green ain't too bad actually, if you remember the Fave Colour thread, I am a bit picky about Greens. 

It's the colour I find hardest to make up my mind about.

:)
    I have a bright highlighter-pen-green guitar (my Jackson - aka the Green Bastard), then I have a classier trans emerald green Tokai PRS copy, now I want a tasteful yellowed Candy Green like the one above.

I'm a sucker for a Lake Placid or Sonic Blue Strat as well, even a nice Olympic White.