What's Hot

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    6.2 miles last night.

=622m/ 1001km
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited April 2018
    I did the slightly longer run over the M5 yesterday, on my own. It was pretty tough for me. Anyone who knows "The Scop" coming back up from the Severn valley back on to the A38 just North of the M4/M5 interchange will know how tough that short climb can be if you're all out of legs. I got all the way up though, so just need to do that run a bit more to get used to it.

I'm moving jobs in 2 weeks, so could be working in Reading. I'm hoping I can drive there early and then run and shower once there, probably running along the Thames. I'll be at a client site though, so if I need to get signed in every time then I'll just have to run here first. The problem with that is - running = lots of water drunk afterwards = probably stopping twice at services on the way!

I'll have a run along the canal today at lunchtime, probably reasonably easy.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Went around a corner too fast on the weekend and had a nice slide.

https://i.imgur.com/E1zQmwN.jpg

They are looking at little better now, but not sure if I will be ready to run again by this weekend... My wife was moaning about all the "goo" over the bedsheets :)
    I did the slightly longer run over the M5 yesterday, on my own. It was pretty tough for me. Anyone who knows "The Scop" coming back up from the Severn valley back on to the A38 just North of the M4/M5 interchange will know how tough that short climb can be if you're all out of legs. I got all the way up though, so just need to do that run a bit more to get used to it.

I'm moving jobs in 2 weeks, so could be working in Reading. I'm hoping I can drive there early and then run and shower once there, probably running along the Thames. I'll be at a client site though, so if I need to get signed in every time then I'll just have to run here first. The problem with that is - running = lots of water drunk afterwards = probably stopping twice at services on the way!

Sounds like a plan. Good to see you're planning how to fit your runs in. :)  I'm running along the Thames next week and will pass Reading. Some nice sections there going towards Goring.
    quarky said:
    Went around a corner too fast on the weekend and had a nice slide.

https://i.imgur.com/E1zQmwN.jpg

They are looking at little better now, but not sure if I will be ready to run again by this weekend... My wife was moaning about all the "goo" over the bedsheets :)
    Ouch!
    mcsdan said:

Sounds like a plan. Good to see you're planning how to fit your runs in. :)  I'm running along the Thames next week and will pass Reading. Some nice sections there going towards Goring.
    Oh yes, Goring is very nice. This will be from just North of Reading station though. Running towards TVP should be interesting, as long as there is sufficient light on the river bank. I'm sure I used to know someone in Goring, I lived just off the old Basingstoke Road for 5 years so not quite so posh. :)
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I am thinking about going for another run this morning, even though my knees still have some pretty huge scabs on, and hurt. It could be good for circulation which will help the healing process though right? Or am I likely to make things worse? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I was in a corner shop today and this conversation actually happened with an old man who I don't know.

Ah nick isn't it?

Yep

How's the running going?

Great thanks.

My wife watches you with her binoculars. She's impressed how much weight you've lost.

Erm, thanks?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    Did my FinishforMatt last night. Legs are still a bit heavy now, but hopefully we’ll get some drier weather soon so I can start field laps with the dog again. 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    My running etc has gone to crap this year. Had my usual winter of doing not a lot and then as I was starting back got appendicitis. Had that whipped out and while they were in there found I have a hernia that I need to get sorted. Can’t get that done til August though for various reasons. Just started back again but having all kinds of issues with various muscles and tendons that are obviously not as keen to get back to it as I am.  Very frustrating- did Ironman last year with a halfway decent time and then this year I’m struggling with runs that I wouldn’t even consider a short run normally. Weight not where it was either which is not making it any easier. 

Oh well. It will come back again. 
    joneve said:
    Did my FinishforMatt last night. Legs are still a bit heavy now, but hopefully we’ll get some drier weather soon so I can start field laps with the dog again. 
    Well done :)
    Frinton half marathon done today. Very cold and windy along the prom. Good run though which I took easy and helped a group of runners from my club do their first half.
    SteveF said:
    My running etc has gone to crap this year. Had my usual winter of doing not a lot and then as I was starting back got appendicitis. Had that whipped out and while they were in there found I have a hernia that I need to get sorted. Can’t get that done til August though for various reasons. Just started back again but having all kinds of issues with various muscles and tendons that are obviously not as keen to get back to it as I am.  Very frustrating- did Ironman last year with a halfway decent time and then this year I’m struggling with runs that I wouldn’t even consider a short run normally. Weight not where it was either which is not making it any easier. 

Oh well. It will come back again. 
    Just start back gradually leaving enough rest in between runs. Usually the aerobic system comes back quite quickly but the muscular system takes a bit longer. A days rest in between runs will help and do some foam rolling in between.  Also a walk/run can take some of the load off so do consider that whilst coming back :)
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Thanks @mcsdan I'm happy enough with the process itself, it's just frustrating doing it.  Especially when you can remember the relatively recent 'glory days' :lol: 

Tell me about the glory days! I did Parkrun last week in 23:40, pretty good at the moment but 5 years and 3 whole minutes from my best when I was 43! Then I did the same Parkrun on Saturday, it hurt more than last week and I did 23:51. Bloody slower!

I'm not aiming for sub-21, sub-23 would be nice this year though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Final run done this morning 3.5 miles. Total since Jan 1 is 643.6 miles / 1035km. I'm now finished until my race on Saturday.

I'm doing the Thames Path 100 (miles) from Richmond to Oxford following the Thames. Going for a sub 24hr finish. Did this last year in 26:30 but had big problems with my quads from about 70 miles in so hoping to improve on that and not lose so much time this year. Cut off is 28 hours. Sub 24 also gets a different medal/buckle so be good to add to the collection.

Looking forward to just getting started now.
    Good luck @mcsdan!
    mcsdan said:
    Final run done this morning 3.5 miles. Total since Jan 1 is 643.6 miles / 1035km. I'm now finished until my race on Saturday.

I'm doing the Thames Path 100 (miles) from Richmond to Oxford following the Thames. Going for a sub 24hr finish. Did this last year in 26:30 but had big problems with my quads from about 70 miles in so hoping to improve on that and not lose so much time this year. Cut off is 28 hours. Sub 24 also gets a different medal/buckle so be good to add to the collection.

Looking forward to just getting started now.
    Jebus! good luck sir! 

No run today, shins are a bit sore due to lack of stretching/rolling at the weekend...so substituted with a 1500m swim this morning. 
    Thanks guys. Weather is looking good for it although will be cold through the night running next to the Thames.

Hope shins feel better soone @joneve ;
    mcsdan said:
    Thanks guys. Weather is looking good for it although will be cold through the night running next to the Thames.

Hope shins feel better soone @joneve ;
    cheers mate, I'm sure they'll be fine. It's going to be a constant management thing for the rest of time it seems!