So, I have this urge to learn violin

What's Hot
After 30 years of guitar i really have a hankering to learn violin.  Any advice or warnings?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Have a beer and hope your family Stage an intervention 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Walk away...fast.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    Go for it man but be aware that violin prices are on a different planet when compared to guitars.  I don't think there is a Stradivarius Squier model.......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    edited February 2018
    go for it, I've been learning now for about 2.5 years (with a bit of time off), it's worth getting lessons if you can (I couldn't really afford them, so my progress has been hampered) as it has an especially steep learning curve and plenty of plateaus that a tutor will help you. It's a challenging instrument, but it's not as hard as some would have you believe, if you have realistic expectations.
    I recently picked up these two books and have been pretty impressed with them: http://violin-works.com/

Try to go to a proper violin luthier to buy your fiddle as it's worth getting it proper set up and fitted for you. My fiddle was only £120, but it was well set up and I was fitted with a shoulder and chin rest, important if you want to play without discomfort. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Have a fiddle before you buy one.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.