Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SG Closed

What's Hot
bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2859
edited February 2018 in Other Instruments
Tell me if I'm wrong but this is def a fake...

I was offered this I'm trade against a guitar I've got up on Gumtree. 

Quote - Special order built just for me in 2017.
https://imgur.com/a/jKP3r
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited February 2018
    The positional relationship between the controls is out ... and not in an Epiphone way.

The headstock stamp typeface is wrong and includes some words that Gibson would not use.

The machineheads are an unusual choice for an American Gibson and they have not been installed squarely. 

Funny how no front view of the headstock has been included amongst the pics.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Perfection is in the last detail
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    edited February 2018
  • I don’t see what’s fake about it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Knobs are different, but otherwise looks legit (current SG standard).
  • These threads are getting tedious now 
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    I think 2017 (and 2018) Standards come with black top knobs rather than silver, and with no poker chip for the pickup selector:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/SG-Standard.aspx#SGS17EBCH1

Could just be something he changed/added but his 'special order' quote would send me running a mile
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Dont all Gibsons come with a set up photo of the actual guitar in the case candy .my mIdtown did .Shows the serial number  too .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    edited February 2018
    Watch as I perform some perfectly executed teddy bear rolls whilst adorned in running shorts and zero underwear. Talcum powder applied for enhanced 'bell clapper' action.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He sent me a picture of the head and is adamant it's legit. 

I think alarm bells rang with the truss rod cover saying 'Les Paul Custom' . 

https://imgur.com/a/4W3dv

That said it does look legit - strange to change a truss rod cover to a different guitar, when it was only built six months ago... 
  • It's also pretty strange to custom order a specific guitar exactly how you want it, then shift it on a year later.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411

The machineheads are an unusual choice for an American Gibson and they have not been installed squarely. 

Sounds just like a genuine USA Gibson given the wonky machine heads!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    If it's a fake they're getting worryingly good - there are a lot of little details, including the bridge and switch, which I've not seen done right on a fake before - although it's also not impossible they've been 'corrected'. But it does look like it fits the spec of the 2018 model, apart from the truss rod cover and knobs.

Wonky machineheads are a sign it's real!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had another chat with the guy this morning.

Whilst he won't say why the heck he would put a 'Les paul custom' truss rod cover on an SG, he is adamant it's genuine and a special order from GAK and saying the serial number checks out for a 2017.

I'll take his word for it.

Spec is - 6mm fretboard not 4mm, handwound pups, hand wired.

Tbh - if this is genuine I can see why Gibson are going down the pan, it just looks shi* quality!!! 

• What value’s he putting on it? It looks genuine to me, and I agree with ICBM in that if this a fake then they’re getting very good indeed. Not sure on the “handwound & handwired” crap though, so unless there’s some particularly tasty electronics in it I would not add any value whatsoever.
  • Can you speak to GAK to confirm if he's telling the truth?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I cant be bothered to be honest as I was never interested in it. He offered me this as a swap SG Standard for my custom shop strat I've got listed on here.
    Which is obv a none starter... 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1446
    edited February 2018
    Bear in mind the Historic SGs DO say Les Paul on the truss rod cover, since in the early 60s that WAS a Les Paul. Looks like he's popped it on there to make it seem more Historic-ish, perhaps
  • Bear in mind the Historic SGs DO say Les Paul on the truss rod cover, since in the early 60s that WAS a Les Paul. Looks like he's popped it on there to make it seem more Historic-ish, perhaps
    yes I always wondered why the 61 re-issue didn't have Les Paul on the truss rod cover seeing as the original did.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22740
    Whilst he won't say why the heck he would put a 'Les paul custom' truss rod cover on an SG, he is adamant it's genuine and a special order from GAK and saying the serial number checks out for a 2017.

I'll take his word for it.

Spec is - 6mm fretboard not 4mm, handwound pups, hand wired.

I'm very surprised it's possible to do a "special order" for a non Custom Shop SG, but everything about it looks legit apart from a few changed plastic parts.

The locking Grovers are right for a 2017-18 model, it even has the right type of bridge posts.  Fakers don't go to that level of detail.