Beginner Keyboard

Young Master Bump has said that he wants a keyboard for his 16th birthday.  

I've got a 40-odd key midi controller for my DAW, but I'm no keyboard player by any means.  I kinda like the idea of the Roland Go Keys/Piano range - seem to have good functionality for ~£250.

Anyone got any views?  That seems like a reasonable amount to pay given that he'll probably give up and I'll nab it for myself!
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited February 2018
    <Views Roland product promotion video.>

The first thing that strikes me is that the Roland GO:KEYS GO-61K has no pitch bend or modulation controllers. Fine for piano and organ. Restrictive for anything else.

The same money would pay for a Roland A-Series Controller keyboard. It does the triggering. DAW software does the rest. (My suggestion assumes that your teenaged son already has a computer or tablet device in which to host DAW software for music creation.)

There is an argument for making fancy DAW software the birthday present. Your 49-key controller keyboard could go on loan until some decision is reached about whether to invest in a large controller keyboard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Midi controller of choice into IPAD  imho  :- world class apps by Moog ; Korg ; Steinberg  etc etc  - fully featured DAWS under £50 and able to update / avoid fixed sound /function  keyboard redundancy as pupil out grows it .. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom