£800 for PRS Custom 24?

DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7373
I've got chance to pick up a PRS Custom 24 locally for £800, but it doesn't have the original pickups and it's quite literally covered in dents and chips including quite a nasty one on the back of the neck that's gone through the lacquer.
I'm not really up on the values of PRS, is this still a good price or should I try get the price down/leave it be?

Its got the stop tail, moon inlays and McCarty wiring.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    Battered PRSs do not sell well. In this market I reckon if you find a distressed seller you could pick up a much cleaner/more original example for £1000. At slightly more, you should have a choice.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7373
    Its been for sale for 3 weeks and at that price I thought it would get snapped up, so the fact that it hasn't makes me think maybe I'm missing something. I thought they sold for a fortune.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    While I don't disagree with the above, if the replacement pickups are decent and you don't mind having a beaten up guitar, and it has the original case, the price is not bad... Unless there's a lot of fretwear and it's close to needing a refret, in which case I would pass. Can you find out what the pickups are?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    The pickups are Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    edited August 2013
    Good pickups. The fret condition and case would probably be the clinchers for me.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    I like battered PRS guitars, but many do not. So resell value is low on PRS with dings. If it is 'battered' it will really affect its value for most PRS fans.

Make sure trem and tuners etc are all working okay as PRS replacement parts are ridiculously expensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    DefaultM;17399" said:
    Its been for sale for 3 weeks and at that price I thought it would get snapped up
    Assuming its being advertised somewhere where it is actually going to be seen, this should tell you all you need to know. Bargains DO get snapped up....
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    DefaultM;17399" said:
    Its been for sale for 3 weeks and at that price I thought it would get snapped up
    Assuming its being advertised somewhere where it is actually going to be seen, this should tell you all you need to know. Bargains DO get snapped up....
    +1
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    stonevibe;17416" said:
    I like battered PRS guitars, but many do not. So resell value is low on PRS with dings. If it is 'battered' it will really affect its value for most PRS fans.

Make sure trem and tuners etc are all working okay as PRS replacement parts are ridiculously expensive.
    Huge +1 on the colossal price of prs tuners and trems. Awesome but damn expensive
    Its getting plenty of views yes. It's got all the specs I'd want but the chip on the back of the neck looks quite bad. It seems to have gone through lacquer and paint to the bare wood. It comes with the case and he said that the frets were good.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    If the dint has gone through to the wood, the finish can be sanded level around it to alleviate the issue.

But to be fair, I gigged a 335 that had a huge chunk of finish missing from the back of the neck and it really didn't affect the way it played.

I guess what I am saying is don't get too hung up on it - if its local try it and you may surprise yourself that it really doesn't affect your enjoyment of it. If it does, walk away. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    If it's a player, to be played, rather than an "investment" PRS - go for it.

But still try and negotiate down.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    That's top money for that guitar and condition in today's market.

Condition and changed parts affect the values of PRSs much more than Fenders, Gibsons etc - most PRS buyers just aren't interested in anything less than near mint at all, even at low prices like that. It's going to be hard to sell.

I love 'played' PRSs, by the way!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3345
    I wasn't aware custom 24's ever came with the stop tail option?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    grungebob said:
    I saw that and wondered...
    I was looking at that yesterday but it's in Surrey and I'm in leeds :(
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
    No self respecting Dentist/Lawyer/Architect, would be seen dead with dings in his PRS. Resale could be difficult! ;)
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3999
    I'd check out the new s2 models.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    edited August 2013
    grungebob;17519" said:
    Yes, they did. At one time you could get all the variations on all the standard models, but then they started restricting the options. Custom 24s with stoptails are quite rare though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein