Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Spam away my man, spam away!! :D  <3 <3
    I'm like a vampire, once you invite me in....  ;)
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    rexter said:
    Spam away my man, spam away!! :D  <3 <3
    I'm like a vampire, once you invite me in....  ;)
    I've been eating Garlic...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    I love Gold tops.

I've never felt the need to own an LP, but if I did it would be a Gold top.

My SA2000S:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    hoops said:
    Didn't expect to see pics of my old Greco here but just want to say in public how pleased I am with the brilliant job Neil has done on this guitar. Is being sprayed with the gold powders today by Rexter Guitars and needless to say I am quite excited to see the finished product. 
    show us pics when done - Will it be aged or 'perfect' - Will be interesting to see the 'shade' of gold top when done 
    Guitar is to be be aged. I'll put up a pic of finished guitar when completed. I hope my friend Glen (wishbones) who is no longer with us and incredibly gave me the guitar would have approved. I'm sure he would!
    tFB Trader
    hoops said:
    hoops said:
    Didn't expect to see pics of my old Greco here but just want to say in public how pleased I am with the brilliant job Neil has done on this guitar. Is being sprayed with the gold powders today by Rexter Guitars and needless to say I am quite excited to see the finished product. 
    show us pics when done - Will it be aged or 'perfect' - Will be interesting to see the 'shade' of gold top when done 
    Guitar is to be be aged. I'll put up a pic of finished guitar when completed. I hope my friend Glen (wishbones) who is no longer with us and incredibly gave me the guitar would have approved. I'm sure he would!
    @hoops Clive, I didn’t realise that this was Glen’s guitar or that he had died, I had a couple of great deals with him on here, he was a lovely guy, my condolences. I’m sure he would approve and it makes it even more of a pleasure that I was able to help in a small way. 
    (formerly miserneil)
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    That's really nice - thanks Neil.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    Just finishing up 2 '59 DC bodies, both are exact vintage spec routes and roundovers. Just imaging that 'Cathedral' grain under Cherry Red nitro..... :D <3

All looking good as always - it’s a bit further back in this thread but it must be nice to have a high profile client like Foals? I saw some of those guitars live when they played in Brum last month. And many on here would have seen their Glastonbury performance. Kudos!

Re. the cathedral grain is that something that’s usually diserable or overlooked for guitar building? I don’t recall seeing it often on translucent finish guitars. It’s on my 335 but them that’s maple and not mahogany.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    hoops said:
    hoops said:
    Didn't realise the guitar has 'additional meaning' to you - Hope it all works out okay - Looking forward to an update + pics a bit later
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    Just finishing up 2 '59 DC bodies, both are exact vintage spec routes and roundovers. Just imaging that 'Cathedral' grain under Cherry Red nitro..... :D <3

All looking good as always - it’s a bit further back in this thread but it must be nice to have a high profile client like Foals? I saw some of those guitars live when they played in Brum last month. And many on here would have seen their Glastonbury performance. Kudos!

Re. the cathedral grain is that something that’s usually diserable or overlooked for guitar building? I don’t recall seeing it often on translucent finish guitars. It’s on my 335 but them that’s maple and not mahogany.
    Cheers Steve! Yes, I did 4 Travis Bean's for Yannis, plus I've done some set up work for The Pretenders and The 1975 this year too. Nice to see them all getting used on big stages :)

The Cathedral grain was certainly a feature of the 50's guitars, wether by fault or design, I personally love it for both visual appeal and authenticity really. Here's a '61 SG which was in recently that really shows it perfectly....

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    Looks great on the original and I can see why you are pleased to get your own build looking authentic. I haven’t seen many vintage SGs and double cut LPs to know that!
    tFB Trader
    Final set up and assembly today on this special customer ordered/spec'd DC Junior. Aged, Matt Black, Gibson '57+ Humbucker, Celluloid guard and a slim neck profile. A simple, lightweight, Raw Rock n Roll Machine! :) 

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    All anybody really needs! Cool Man:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I was wondering how that one would turn out.  I really like it!

Everybody raves about P-90s so much it seems slightly heretical to put a humbucker in there, but it appeals to me.  And you could always swap it for a Mississippi Queen or something and make it almost vintage-correct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Humbucker and black paint give it a proper old school hot rod vibe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Everybody raves about P-90s so much it seems slightly heretical to put a humbucker in there, but it appeals to me.  And you could always swap it for a Mississippi Queen or something and make it almost vintage-correct.
    Thanks @Philly_Q. While I initially balked at the humbucker request, after trying it, there’s surprisingly not that much difference between the two, the main thing being no hum of course, shock horror! ;) I think, for me personally, if going for a humbucker, I would have gone for an aged nickel cover. Perhaps even an aged nickel dog ear...

@sawyer Definitely gives that vibe doesn’t it, I think that’s what my customer was hoping for at least :)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    Philly_Q said:

I agree completely, with a HB slot as well, the options of pickup types are near enough endless.  I think one of Ash/Oil City's Brassknuckles would be a great choice for that guitar. 

I think with a HB like above, that particular DC would be a beast for playing riffs! 

(PS great work as ever OP)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Did I just see a left handed Ivison out in the wild?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    Did I just see a left handed Ivison out in the wild?

Ah, thanks for posting Steve, that’s superb! Yes, you did! His second will be along in a few months too ;)

How did it sound? 
    (formerly miserneil)
    Sounded great - like a junior should! Although he sat low in the mix except for solos. 

It was at the Solihull Jazz festival.

I was the wrong side of the stage but it looked like he only had a small tube combo 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    Sounded great - like a junior should! Although he sat low in the mix except for solos. 

It was at the Solihull Jazz festival.

I was the wrong side of the stage but it looked like he only had a small tube combo 

Great stuff! Joe’s a busy pro player and tells me the Junior has become his main guitar which I’m really chuffed about :) 
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom