Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Lebarque said:
    Hmmmmmm. Not sure about the coins myself. Am I missing something? How are they relevant to you or Ivison?

If your brand is going to be called Ivison, you need that on the headstock, perhaps embellished with a logo or something visual. Have you done any research on the history of your surname? Anything visual come to mind?

Although I originally liked the Gibson font, I've changed my mind. Your guitars are not just copies. They deserve to stand on their own two feet and have their own branding. Just keep it classy and slightly vintage, in keeping with the instruments.
    I'm having a sense of déjà vous here! Soz - nobody likes a smart arse, I know.

Congrats on the new logo. It's an easy thing to get wrong, but yours looks fantastic and classy. Definitely a good move for building your brand too. Agree with the sentiment that it's great to see fretboarders doing well. Looking forward to seeing the new guitars. All the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well done, I love the style of the new logo, it's definitely the right move, but at the same time I will miss the half penny coin. Could you keep the coin elsewhere on the instrument, maybe the back of the headstock? 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited September 2019 tFB Trader
    Thanks again for all the kind comments on the new logo chaps - this thread is almost turning into one of those 'Just dumped my girlfriend/mates conversations down the pub'..."Well, we never really liked her anyway but we thought you did so we didn't say anything..." :P

I'm still very fond of the coin, the logo is the next step though  

Well done, I love the style of the new logo, it's definitely the right move, but at the same time I will miss the half penny coin. Could you keep the coin elsewhere on the instrument, maybe the back of the headstock? 

I'm putting a hologram of my face on the back of the headstock of the 2020 models......
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I really like the new logo but also loved the coins I thought they looked really classy. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Thanks again for all the kind comments on the new logo chaps - this thread is almost turning into one of those 'Just dumped my girlfriend/mates conversations down the pub'..."Well, we never really liked her anyway but we thought you did so we didn't say anything..." :P

Well done, I love the style of the new logo, it's definitely the right move, but at the same time I will miss the half penny coin. Could you keep the coin elsewhere on the instrument, maybe the back of the headstock? 

I'm putting a hologram of my face on the back of the headstock of the 2020 models......
    No electronical tuners though, eh?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keefy said:

No electronical tuners though, eh?
    Hmmm...autowinding electronic tuners, that’s the future right there that is, the stuff of dreams. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• All guitars will now feature the script logo in Gold as standard on the single pickup models and in MOP on the twin pickup models 

Will the guitars have "GUITARS" written on them, or just the script logo? I assume the latter. :)

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Will the guitars have "GUITARS" written on them, or just the script logo? I assume the latter. :)

R.
    You assume correctly @robinbowes :)

(formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Just finishing off this one and had to grab a pic....a custom order twin pickup DC Build. ‘60 pickup spacing, sharper ‘58 style body radius and no neck binding. Finished in NOS cherry red using aniline dyes which will fade back just like the originals do. The first guitar to feature the new logo too! :) 

(formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Gorgeous! Looks good enough to eat. New logo looks quality too:)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    Neil, I've noticed some guitars have the more extreme vintage-correct slant to the stoptail, others are more like the modern reissues.  Is it just customer preference?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Properly stunning, I love the unbound look on this too. Really cool spec
  • Looks very nice indeed Neil, really like the new logo.

I have a couple of vintage Specials (56 single cut and a 60 DC) and would more than happy to have one of your Juniors as part of the crew, I even sourced an Aussie penny from 1959 for the head stock. Just a shame my Braz rosewood source fell through :(

Philly_Q said:
    Neil, I've noticed some guitars have the more extreme vintage-correct slant to the stoptail, others are more like the modern reissues.  Is it just customer preference?
    Basically, I intonate each bridge to that particular guitar so there will always be a slight variation. In the 50's, Gibson used a simple 'Offset T' bar that was pushed against the nut and gave a position to drill the two bridge holes for wraparound bridges:

So this gave an average position of the stud holes then the bridge would be intonated to suit, hence why some vintage examples have the bridge grub screws wound right out/in to achieve intonation.

As a side note, a particular anomaly I've found on 1956 TV Yellow guitars, be it Junior or Special, only TV Yellow colour and only in the year 1956, is that the bridge holes are not in the right place. Of all the '56 TV yellow guitars i've personally handled (bar one) the bass or treble stud hole has been moved and re-drilled to achieve proper intonation. I'm sure they are not ALL like that but certainly the one's i've handled have been.

Here's a quick run through of the latest '59 DC Special:

(formerly miserneil)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    edited September 2019
    @IvisonGuitars thanks for the explanation above.  And great attention to detail, I was assuming the bridge just went in one "standard" position or another, I didn't think each one would be individually intonated.

I've got one of the MojoAxe compensated wraparounds on one of my guitars and the grub screws had to be wound right in to get the intonation right, so most of the bridge is hanging out of the studs - a bit like the picture from their own site below.  It works fine but I don't like the way it looks.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    I actually wince when I see a bridge wound right out by the grub screw...It just screams ‘not drilled studs in the right place’ 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Logo looks fantastic. Nice one!
    @Philly_Q @tone1 As you can see from the tool used, the originals were a bit 'Heath Robinson' in placement and, as you rightly say, some have to have the screws wound out which presents much of the problem the wraparounds get a bad rep for. The whole bridge is essentially rocking on those two grub screws which is where half of the intonation issues arise plus as the bridge tilts forward it can cause a 'sitar' effect from the break angle.

Hence why I position each of mine individually, I could make a 'T' (It'd be MUCH quicker) but i'd be introducing the same problems as some of the originals have and, while mine may be accurate, only an idiot copies the mistakes too!

Thanks @hoops, much appreciated! 

(formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    A bit late but I liked the coin..... but I like the logo even better! Top work
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom