Gonna let my ears do the reading from now on

So I've not read a book since I gave up half way in to 'Fellowship of the Ring' some 10 years ago. That book put me off ever reading again. Anyhoo I fancy a change from the asshat morning/evening DJs you get on the radio while driving to and from work, so I've signed up to that Audible book club from amazon.

First book to listen to is the Keith Richards autobio read by Johnny Depp.

any other lazy ear readers on here? Hit me up with a good book to listen to.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got LOTR on CD in the BBC radio presentation. Not quite the same as an audio book I know but still quite good. Downsides are the sound effects which can obscure some of the speech.

In general the downside of any audio presentation (for me) is my tendency to go to sleep while listening to it. Sometimes I listen to R4 A book at bedtime but am asleep before its finished.

The downside of a proper book is that my eyes get tired just as easily when I try to read it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Get registered as blind and get them cheap from the RNIB. They also have some audio magazines but they tend to be stuff like Women's Realm and the knitting patterns are really hard to follow.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Just read Nile Rodgers' autobiography, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Really enjoyed both Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers' autobiographies a while back, too.

(Can't advise on audio versions of these, sorry!)

• Wife is a mahoosive audiobook user, she has been with Audible for a couple of years now, save quite a bit the monthly credit way. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I'm a fan of being read a story by someone who knows how to do it properly. Never tried audio books, but it could well be on the cards now. I'm thinking Mariella Frostrup, but wondering if I might lose the plot at the beginning.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I'm a fan of being read a story by someone who knows how to do it properly. Never tried audio books, but it could well be on the cards now. I'm thinking Mariella Frostrup, but wondering if I might lose the plot at the beginning.
    based on my mother's experience of listening to a lot of audiobooks ( she is registered blind and gets through a lot of them) basically for the big sellers you do get a big dramatic read but once you wonder into anything lesser known you get some fairly straight forward reading out loud and it can be a bit of an effort to keep on with the book.As an intelligent, well read woman she also tends to find the reading pace annoyingly slow. Still, that won't be a problem for Decker...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    He might have trouble keeping up even at that pace.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I don't get a whoile lot of book time due to my schedule but I do a lot of driving so I have an Audible.com app and subscription.
    Currently 'reading' 'Rivers of London'.

Excellent stuff.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Still, that won't be a problem for Decker...

Oi!!!

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

He might have trouble keeping up even at that pace.

Oi!!!

edited August 2013

Oi!!!

Meh, who am I kidding? :D

Really into the Keef Richards read by Johnny Depp. When he does the funny voices it makes I larf. The drunk judge is my favorite.