We all have been tuning our guitars wrong

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
What do you think ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14671
    Wrongly. Adverb! Damned Yankees! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    Who is this person? I'd like to know why he's popping up in my You Tube recomendations? Obviously I watch quite a few guitar based videos but this bloke turns up last week out of the blue (telling me why people play Sex on Fire wrong)...clearly he's popped up in yours as well? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    Both sound fine by themselves.
    Would be interesting to hear the Taylor tuning in a band context.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    exocet said:
    Who is this person? I'd like to know why he's popping up in my You Tube recomendations? Obviously I watch quite a few guitar based videos but this bloke turns up last week out of the blue (telling me why people play Sex on Fire wrong)...clearly he's popped up in yours as well? 
    Yes he did .. never heard of him before.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Even guitar isn't exempt from clickbait.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9790
    Interesting video, but anybody who uses the word ‘unprecise’ needs to take a long hard look at themself.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    HAL9000 said:
    Interesting video, but anybody who uses the word ‘unprecise’ needs to take a long hard look at themself.
    Send the guy a video "Do you use the English language wrongly?"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Jack_ said:
    Even guitar isn't exempt from clickbait.
    Absolutely.

"Why you've been doing x wrong" is a clickbait cliche and the psychology behind it is pretty obvious.

Almost as bad as "such and such did x, you would not believe what happened next"
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3062
    thegummy said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Send the guy a video "Do you use the English language wrongly?"
    ...*and* unprecisely.
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 398
    exocet said:
    Youtube's AI will be the short answer. Given how youtube knows what videos you've watched, how long you've watched them, then it's likely there are others that have similar viewing patterns, but that theirs also includes videos from the guy above. At least that's my guess, but who knows what the algorithm is doing. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    To be fair, English is not his first language and I like his vids. He's got a cool laid back style and he is a good player. He's also gone full time doing just YouTube. I wish him well!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9655
    Vaiai said:
    To be fair, English is not his first language and I like his vids. He's got a cool laid back style and he is a good player. He's also gone full time doing just YouTube. I wish him well!
    Yep, Im with you... tough crowd here...

Ive subscribed to his videos for a while, and he has some very instructive and helpful stuff.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15720
    octatonic said:
    Both sound fine by themselves.
    Would be interesting to hear the Taylor tuning in a band context.
    this, within, it's only when you get to hear it in context that you know. 

I'm guessing this tuning thing is more about tuning for chords, which is something I really should learn more about.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10496
    I like the guy been subscribed for a while. Now he's full time youtubing and giving up teaching though he's really pimping the vids so they pop up more often. Some of his vids are great, others, like this not so much .... being as it's all about other people playing the riff wrongly and then he plays it close ... but wrong as well 

With tuning it pays to give yourself a bit of leeway ... I've always tuned the g and b strings slightly flat as when playing chords you can squeeze things slightly sharper quite easily if needed . I read about this in a really early VH interview when I was a teenager and it's a good trick if you use a thirds in distorted chords. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Here's James Taylor's original ..

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27494
    Danny1969 said:
    I like the guy been subscribed for a while. Now he's full time youtubing and giving up teaching though he's really pimping the vids so they pop up more often. Some of his vids are great, others, like this not so much .... being as it's all about other people playing the riff wrongly and then he plays it close ... but wrong as well 

With tuning it pays to give yourself a bit of leeway ... I've always tuned the g and b strings slightly flat as when playing chords you can squeeze things slightly sharper quite easily if needed . I read about this in a really early VH interview when I was a teenager and it's a good trick if you use a thirds in distorted chords. 
    This video is particularly interesting, because, unlike the KOL/SonF vid (where he's absolutely correct that people fuck up the intro's timing ALL THE TIME), his complaint about how other people play MFN are largely unwarranted. 

Knopfler's claw picking "thing" is the whole point of the riff, so while you do want to get some of the rhythmic muted/semi-muted stuff in there, you can be absolutely sure that MK didn't at any point sit down and think "i'm going to put a grace-noted-harmonic in the middle and muted this and just let that open D ring out just once for half a beat".

He's really just missing the point of rock n roll - Money For Nothing is about the basic notes and vibe, not playing it to minute scientific perfection like it's Bach.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3412
    Fretwired said:
    exocet said:
    Yes he did .. never heard of him before.
    Me too
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    It's a great channel, I've followed him for a while

He recently posted a video saying he is leaving his full time guitar teaching job to do YT full time, so I guess he needs the views more than ever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well produced videos, he came up on my feed the other day. i’ve watched the SoF one (he has a point, but drunk girls on a Friday night still dance to it when played wrong) and Money for Nothing where as sticky says he’s missing the point of Knopfler’s technique. 
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited April 2018
    exocet said:
    Yeah he also told me I was playing it wrong.

How does he know? I don't play it.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom