Good grunge guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    DaiCapp said:

Thing is, all everyone playing that stuff at the time was using what they could afford or borrow, getting out there and playing because they loved it... 
    This^^

I’d read that the reason those guys played a load of wacky shaped offsets and what have you was because they were unpopular with most players, and therefore cheap. It was a lot about attitude and making a racket, and less about particular gear, I reckon.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Calum13 said:
    I'm just thinking of a good guitar to get next as I can't really stick with a squier and I think kurt used some sort of chorus pedal. Also my jag doesn't have humbuckers
    Honestly a Squier VM Jag is a great guitar. It should also be able to get you the "grunge" sound you're after. 
    You said you have a big muff so just dime the gain knob and it should be big and heavy sounding enough easily. 
    If not, maybe just a bridge pickup swap for something higher output. It's cheaper than buying a new guitar at least. 

My two main guitars at the moment are completely at the opposite end of the price scale, a Fender Lee Ranaldo Jazzmaster and a Squier Ryan Jarman Musuar thing. Don't think that getting a Fender will instantly be a better guitar than what you have, you may even prefer your Squier Jag in the long run. 
    If I was buying a humbucker for the bridge would I need to edit the shape of the pickguards. Also is it hard to do the wiring?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1020
    edited May 2018
    Calum13 said:
    Calum13 said:
    I'm just thinking of a good guitar to get next as I can't really stick with a squier and I think kurt used some sort of chorus pedal. Also my jag doesn't have humbuckers
    Honestly a Squier VM Jag is a great guitar. It should also be able to get you the "grunge" sound you're after. 
    You said you have a big muff so just dime the gain knob and it should be big and heavy sounding enough easily. 
    If not, maybe just a bridge pickup swap for something higher output. It's cheaper than buying a new guitar at least. 

My two main guitars at the moment are completely at the opposite end of the price scale, a Fender Lee Ranaldo Jazzmaster and a Squier Ryan Jarman Musuar thing. Don't think that getting a Fender will instantly be a better guitar than what you have, you may even prefer your Squier Jag in the long run. 
    If I was buying a humbucker for the bridge would I need to edit the shape of the pickguards. Also is it hard to do the wiring?
    A full size humbucker won't actually fit without some routing. 
    But I've seen a fair few jags with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickups fitted. 
    I'd honestly take it to a guitar tech if you have never wired a guitar before. 

I'd also stick with single coils myself. It can seriously get you the sound you want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    soma1975 said:
    stonevibe said:
    It was called 'Post Punk' when I was in Rough Trade at the Nirvana signing for Bleach.
    Same when I saw them at ULU  B)
    I think I played that night? Was that their first London show with Tad? 
    Calum13 said:
    Calum13 said:

A full size humbucker won't actually fit without some routing. 
    But I've seen a fair few jags with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickups fitted. 
    I'd honestly take it to a guitar tech if you have never wired a guitar before. 
    If I got two hot rails would it sound similar to having two humbuckers? And are the neck pickup and bridge pickup different? Sorry for all the questions  :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    camf said:
    soma1975 said:
    stonevibe said:
    It was called 'Post Punk' when I was in Rough Trade at the Nirvana signing for Bleach.
    Same when I saw them at ULU  B)
    I think I played that night? Was that their first London show with Tad? 
    I saw them with TAD and Mudhoney at Lamefest UK as well, ULU was around that era

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

@Calum13 The neck and bridge are different yeah. They will completely change the sound of your guitar though. 
    Seymour Duncan also make hot Jaguar pickups that will have more oomph than what you have. 

You should have a think if you really want to do all that really. Don't just rush out to buy pickups to then be disappointed. 

Me personally, I'd just change the stock pickups for a set of custom Mojo's. Or at least the bridge. I wouldn't go the humbucker route  if I could avoid it. 

If you like how your guitar is currently then maybe a second guitar with a bridge humbucker is the better option. You'd have two guitars with different sounds to mess about with after all. 
    @Calum13 The neck and bridge are different yeah. They will completely change the sound of your guitar though. 
    Seymour Duncan also make hot Jaguar pickups that will have more oomph than what you have. 

You should have a think if you really want to do all that really. Don't just rush out to buy pickups to then be disappointed. 

Me personally, I'd just change the stock pickups for a set of custom Mojo's. Or at least the bridge. I wouldn't go the humbucker route  if I could avoid it. 

If you like how your guitar is currently then maybe a second guitar with a bridge humbucker is the better option. You'd have two guitars with different sounds to mess about with after all. 
    Would a PRS be good? I'm not sure if they're good for my style of music because they seem a bit heavy metal
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    This^^^^
    @Calum13 Any guitar shops near you? If there are, just go down and play the guitars in your price range that you like the look of. 

edited May 2018
    @punchesjudy yeah I can get a train up to Glasgow. There's like 3 guitar shops there. I thinkhttps://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7367/9786226112_59b9b7a64d_z.jpg ; looks nice. Is that a duo sonic or a mustang?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Calum13 said:
    @punchesjudy yeah I can get a train up to Glasgow. There's like 3 guitar shops there. I thinkhttps://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7367/9786226112_59b9b7a64d_z.jpg  looks nice. Is that a duo sonic or a mustang?
    Nah, it's a G&L Fallout...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/1906/products/electric-guitar-g-l-tribute-fallout-fullerton-red-1.jpg?v=1506089821
    Calum13 said:
    @punchesjudy yeah I can get a train up to Glasgow. There's like 3 guitar shops there. I thinkhttps://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7367/9786226112_59b9b7a64d_z.jpg  looks nice. Is that a duo sonic or a mustang?
    That's a Mustang. 

And seriously, go down to the guitar shops, play some guitars, buy one if you find one you fall in love with. 
    Don't worry about single coils or humbuckers, either can do what you want. 
    Schnozz said:
    Calum13 said:
    Nah, it's a G&L Fallout...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/1906/products/electric-guitar-g-l-tribute-fallout-fullerton-red-1.jpg?v=1506089821
    Love those Fallouts. Think I'll have to get one someday. 
    edited May 2018
    @punchesjudy yeah I think I'll do that. I'll probably just try out mustangs and duo sonics. If I bought a red one could I buy a red tortoiseshell pickguard and just unscrew the old one and put that one on
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6626
    Calum13 said:
    Would a PRS be good? I'm not sure if they're good for my style of music because they seem a bit heavy metal

I think PRS guitars don't tend to have the raw spikyness and character for those sorts of tones. Likewise hi-gain superstrat Ibanez thingies never seem to get in the ballpark either. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I asked a question and got nearly 60 comments. I'll be using this site again when I need to know something  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    Kurt mostly played a Fender Jaguar, Competition Mustang and sometimes a strat type with a Dimarzio Super Distortion at the bridge. He used a Boss DS1, later a DS2 through a Sans Amp. He also usex an EHX Small Clone and later a Polychorus.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    @Calum13 Cyclones do pop up every now and then, not as frequently as most Fender models though as they were only made for a short(ish) period of time, right when “Grunge” was at its peak. so they were pretty much designed for the exact application your after.

They do pop up on the UK used market, so no need to worry about importing etc. That link I sent you is a fellow Fret Board member selling his Cyclone here in the UK. Great looking guitar.

Give him a shout and your close by you could always check it out.